Road Trip! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Treader
  • 1 Post By BigTB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Road Trip!

Ok, Iím sure I will get a bunch of bullshit responses. First off, I donít give a fuck. If thatís what you give me, well then . For the misses and I vacation, she has given the nod for a 2 door top off road trip. Sorry boy, not the type of ďtop offĒ you are thinking of, for you at least. This will be a pack the cooler, a suitcase for the few change of clothes, stop and explore OR chill the fuck out.

We will be starting from northeast Texas in late spring or early summer. Think of heading north first and then I donít know. Thatís where you boys come in. Need some suggestions.

This would be a week off work, 5 days PTO, for a total of 9 days. 3 to 400 hundred miles a day. Get back before an oil change in this shitty 3.8 leaking exhaust gases from the shitty OEM exhaust manifold.

Iím thinking this would be one last hurrah in the Jeep. June will mark 9 years of the 2-door JK sport. Three kiddos home from the hospital, two conceived in it, one first anniversary in it (because we already had our first) and too many other memories to let it go lightly.

Give me your best shot. Iíve seen Enough Kowboy post to envoy Wyoming. I donít know about Idaho. Colorado high pass. Dakotaís maybe worth it too. PNW seems like fun, even though I donít agree with their politics. Iíd even be up for getting into Canada a bit. Basically Iíd like to create a road map and here we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The old fart likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 04:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

I can make a few recommendations in Montana if you decide to get that far... Morrison Jeep trail in Northern Wyoming.... Iron Mountain, Benbo... Hellroaring Plateau...

There's even some decent pavement to be found, heading into Yellowstone from Red Lodge, Montana on the Beartooth Pass is a must do if you're in the area. If you, or your Jeep are topless, you might want to pack a coat, as it sometimes gets pretty cold at those elevations.

Good luck with your trip.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
We will be starting from northeast Texas in late spring or early summer.
Too early in the year to consider high country. Colorado passes are more of an August thang to wait for the snow to melt.

Early summer's already hot in your part of the world Ö but not up north. Topless is cool Ö and most likely down-right cold. Springtime can be very unpredictable weather-wise.

My Trailer Queen don't ride on one ... it pulls one.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

no goofy answers here, just envy!
I would head to the Sierra Nevada's to see the bristlecone groves* ( weather permitting) & then head-down toward Death Valley to make my way back home.

Are the mani's cracked, I guess?

have fun ,dude.

(* near top of my personal bucket list for decades)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Whatever you do, make sure you hit Yellowstone NP.

Kevin
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Road Trip!

You all are making me rethink the top off aspect. Yeah, down here in Texas its boarding 90ís during the day. Hard to rethink other places and then the altitude as well. I think Sulphur Springs is 550í above sea level. Top on would certainly make for a less beat up with all the wind.

Could already do top off and head more south, Big Bend or gulf shore and seafood. Iíd rather go north though. Thank you the ideas so far. Keep them coming too.

As for the Jeep, yeah definitely starting to hear the pfft-pfft of an exhaust leak. Iíve been very wishy washy on keeping the JK or going to a JLU. The JK is starting to show her age. Steering needs to be reworked, shocks replaced, exhaust manifolds.

2010 2 door manual sport

Last edited by Treader; 01-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2020, 07:17 PM
Rock God

Badlands National Park is kinda cool. Some unique terrain there that was fun to see when I drove through years ago.

Depending on exactly which direction you go, the Sierra Nevada range is a good suggestion. The Sequoia National Forest is worth a look if you end up that way.
The old fart likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 05:51 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

If you hit southern Arizona on your way back through you got a place to stay for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 06:48 AM
Rock God

No way would i do topless trip that early to montana june is the rainy season lol.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Needles Highway in South South Dakota
Custer Park SD

also badlands off road area in Indiana - Jeeps are allowed and camping is available
Attached Images

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode