the modern jeep owner is a sad reflection of what used to be... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

the modern jeep owner is a sad reflection of what used to be...

it's all 20" rims with lopro tires and angry grills and RGB lights...

the modern jeep owner is just the altezza installing civic owner from the 00's... and it's sad.
ALASHA, j3ff3ry_j33p and ndtguy like this.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

It is really sad. Even most of the guys doing tons, 40's, and coil over have now clue at all what they are doing.
Cod and viaqua like this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 98 Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Rock God

i guess somebody had to save jeep...so thank goodness for the civic owners from the 80's.
SoK66 likes this.
post #4 of 98 Old 02-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Granite Guru

The one advantage is that so many people buying jeeps that never take them off road is that it lowers the cost for those that do modify their jeeps to go off road.
A disadvantage is that there are so many that think they know, because they heard it on the internet, that give out bad information.
post #5 of 98 Old 02-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Fuck Jeep. I bought a JKUR in late 2009 for $34,000 Canadian. The same thing in a JL is $58,000. I'm no Kowboy, that shit's outta my reach these days.
ALASHA, Cod and JKOwner like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #6 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

It does irritate a little but I think even back as far
as the CJ there were the dweebs chroming every piece and sticking dayglo shockboots on all four shocks per wheel...the customization is not so much an issue as the bad-name for the
long time owners when the idiots take these new toys for who's culture they know nada about into ,say, their nearest suburb development or power-line or ( good forbid) nature preserve & go do whatever it is they think is ' badass' but really just violates and ruts up places. Illegal wheeling threatens all of our
access and gives Jeep owners who really tread lightly & respect ( IOWs, we don't need to go in someone's yard or field to 'get some' since we go/tow to real and legal places. )

That's what gets me.
That negative association gets plastered upon all of us and sucks.
If idiots want $1000 Superman emblem etched HIDs or enough bolt on , purple + neon lighting around angry eye grills, let them look like clowns but don't mess access/public tolerance for the rest of us that actually get into the technical + enjoyment aspects of rock sport. That's the BS that gets me.

Furthermore , clowns like that Off-road Cartel mofo are a breath of nitros oxide into the stale-air filled culture. They will move on to bowling or glittery bassboat shows once the Jeep world laughs them outta the game. I pump them up & tell them it still needs more pizazz,ha
's'no different than that horrid 80's truck culture w/ all the vinyl decals , slammed and hydraulic beds...

SoK66, Cod and viaqua like this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-05-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #7 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 04:53 AM
Rock God

The 4-door ruined jeep. Soccer moms fell in love with 'em ... and bought 'em by the thousands. Once jeeps became practical in the eyes of the masses, the jeep scene was flooded with idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I'm no Kowboy, that shit's outta my reach these days.
Just a matter of priorities sir. I own a truck and a jeep. Period.

Once ya quit wastin' money on wives, kids, family, friends, pets, homes, hobbies, etc and apply all your income to nothin' but food, beer, a truck, and a jeep ... a fella can have a damn-fine truck and jeep. Pretty simple.
Cod, Blockade_Runner and Rick Rand like this.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #8 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 06:16 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Damm speed bumps on the way to the soccer field have gotten stupid.

Cod, Banshee, j3ff3ry_j33p and 3 others like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
The 4-door saved jeep.
Fixed it for you. The 4 door outsells the 2 door 4 to 1. While it did open the door to soccer moms and cartel caballeros it exploded the market into what it is today.

In your case for example, TnT "might" be around today and I say might because if you ask Bob how much of his business is JK related, you will quickly see how hard it would be to stay open without the 4 door but things like your fancy new D80 will almost certain not exist because there wouldnt be a big enough market to justify it.
Cod and viaqua like this.

post #10 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Fixed it for you. The 4 door outsells the 2 door 4 to 1. While it did open the door to soccer moms and cartel caballeros it exploded the market into what it is today.

In your case for example, TnT "might" be around today and I say might because if you ask Bob how much of his business is JK related, you will quickly see how hard it would be to stay open without the 4 door but things like your fancy new D80 will almost certain not exist because there wouldnt be a big enough market to justify it.
Eh you don't know that for sure. If there were just 2 doors and an LJ version of the JK im sure the aftermarket would still be pretty abundant. Are you telling me if the 4 door wasn't around you or a lot of other 4 door owners on here wouldn't buy a 2 door like a Jeep has always been? For the record ive had 2 JKs both 2 doors
post #11 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Eh you don't know that for sure. If there were just 2 doors and an LJ version of the JK im sure the aftermarket would still be pretty abundant. Are you telling me if the 4 door wasn't around you or a lot of other 4 door owners on here wouldn't buy a 2 door like a Jeep has always been? For the record ive had 2 JKs both 2 doors
Yes that is exactly what I am telling you. I would have never been introduced the the Jeep lifestyle if it wasnt for a 4 door. Today I can see myself having a stretched 2 door as a dedicated wheeler if life allowed it but still unlikely. The 4 door allows one to justify the costs because they can still use it tote around the family.

4 to 1. No way the market would be what it is today without the 4 door.
Texas_Jester and viaqua like this.

post #12 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Im with Alasha. I most likely wouldn't have a jeep if it wasn't for the 4 door, but for different reasons. I would likely have a mid 80s K5 blazer that would be sitting on jackstands, and possibly a newer truck than the one I have now.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #13 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Rock God

I'll take 2drs all day, every day. My family doesn't need to be exposed to my level of risk tolerance.

In my mind, the Scrambler/LJ models are way more desirable than a 4dr...or a 2dr, for that matter.
Trying to find one is like trying to find a 2dr Cherokee...also more desirable in my mind.

I'm not totally against 4drs...I have two. One's a CrewCab, the other is a WJ.
Rick Rand likes this.
post #14 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
but things like your fancy new D80 will almost certain not exist because there wouldnt be a big enough market to justify it.
I could be mistaken, but I believe the fancy D80 was developed for the racin' buggy crowd. I know the one under the ass of my truck ain't got nothin' to do with a JK.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #15 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

How in the fuck does what someone else does with their Jeep affect what you do with yours? Let them do what they want to their Jeeps and use them how they want and you do the same.

You sound like a bunch of whiney bitches that need Jeep safe spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #16 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
How in the fuck does what someone else does with their Jeep affect what you do with yours? Let them do what they want to their Jeeps and use them how they want and you do the same.

FUCKING BINGO. Unless you ask me how your ride looks then I don't give a fuck. Well except for the douche who wants free driveshaft's. Then they bring it on themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #17 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Im with Alasha. I most likely wouldn't have a jeep if it wasn't for the 4 door, but for different reasons. I would likely have a mid 80s K5 blazer that would be sitting on jackstands, and possibly a newer truck than the one I have now.
Exactly. I'm right with you on the K5 too.................and the jackstands. I bought my 4dr not just because it's a Jeep but, because of it's dimensions.

Quote:
I could be mistaken, but I believe the fancy D80 was developed for the racin' buggy crowd. I know the one under the ass of my truck ain't got nothin' to do with a JK.
I think most of the racers run something like the Gearworks 10". I think the D80 came around as and answer to how heavy JKU's were getting.

Maybe the rock bouncers are using D80's, but it seems they just like to break parts half way up a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post

Jeep are like Harleys. You have real bikers that smell bad and sell drugs, and you have all the rest. All the rest is probably the bigger number. Jeeps are no different.

It just is what it is. Same can be said for Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, you name it.

The only group that has stayed cool........is motocross riders.
ALASHA, j3ff3ry_j33p and viaqua like this.

Kevin
post #18 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Wheeler

I would never be so pretentious to think it is my business how another spends their money. I am glad I have choices and could not do a 2 for many reasons. It is my vehicles and my money, I'll do whatever I want to it and it will not be any skin off any one else's back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
WarMachine and aqualungs like this.
post #19 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Wheeler

I started in mid-2000s and was a total newbie. Took years to get it right. Think that is a great part of the journey. Starting as a wanna-be and slowly graduating into something really awesome.

Today, the first thing I do when I see a Jeep is look under the engine at the steering and suspension. Probably look like an idiot laying there for 15+ minutes. But to me that is the real difference. That's the wow factor -- stuff you never see unless you look closely.

As a newb, I spent money on the outside. Today, 75% of my upgrades are hidden, which is the way it should be -- function over form.
rockystock and aqualungs like this.
post #20 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Treader likes this.

post #21 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
I am the one, a god with a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

The coffee shop girl told me she wants to get a Jeep and "put a stance on it".
The sandwich shop girl told me she wants to get a Jeep "with a 6-inch lift and 22's".

I just smile and nod because I know upside down they all look alike.
Cod, j3ff3ry_j33p and un lupus like this.
post #22 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Actually Iím pretty sure the Dana 80 axle was originally designed for use in dually trucks dating back to about 1988

post #23 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 PM
I am the one, a god with a gun

Quote:
Actually Iím pretty sure the Dana 80 axle was originally designed for use in dually trucks dating back to about 1988
ho dere, Mr. Wikipedia
post #24 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
ho dere, Mr. Wikipedia
You gotta be informed on things like this before you speak up in here.

post #25 of 98 Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
You gotta be informed on things like this before you speak up in here.

Right, @Mason ?

Take , for example, the fact that experience tells me that the 4 door JL pictured above DEFINITELY has to have a D80 under it's butt...
I mean, how else could it be weighed-down so much that its rockers are almost dragging the mall parking lot?

Knowledge eet ees power!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode