The Continuing Saga Of "Mr. Nibbles NoMore" - Page 5 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 141 Old 10-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

So, I'm out in the garage , stupid enough to be redoing it's headliner on this soggy Sunday and I am reminded - suddenly - of this thread the very instant that the overhead middle console from the beleaguered XJs ceiling is removed.
That was also the moment when I ate some, breathed-some--in , became covered in and was seated amongst what must be 5 ,if not 10, years worth of stashed squirrel / chipmunk crack in every inch of the thing..

I seem to have had Mr. Nibbles country cousin hosting his seed banquet. And I've eaten some of it ...
( it hit me later that this was INSIDE the headliner between the metal roof and the fiberglass board; My wife & I cannot figure out when or how in th past 22 years at some point a rodent got into that space?!

So, understand , @StubEXrube , I never intend to hijack threads but I wasn't about to start my own thread on rodentia after you, sir, created this masterpiece ; how could one begin to try ?

so,I figured I'd post-it-up in here.

The whole main pantry of nuts fell on me and my mouth and face.

Happy Sunday.

Gib likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-08-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 141 Old 10-09-2017, 12:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you just say squirrel nuts touched your mouth? Gross.

Kevin
post #103 of 141 Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Did you just say squirrel nuts touched your mouth? Gross.
yeah.

damn Rocky the squirrel Treebagged me.

Here’s the thing I missed as I was spittin pieces of his little nuts out ; how the hell did the thing get INSIDE THE XJ - without us knowing - and stash the freaking acorns between headliner and metal roof?

There’s no entry thru firewall nor holes in body . We never leave windows down while parked . Cant think of a time since ‘95 we’ve left it long enough for a collection o& that size during all 384,xxx plus miles !?

Then, they were all in that middle console , none just laying as I’d anticipated on top of the headliner board when we pulled it = freaking me out wondering how this was accomplished.

I guess like Stube’s Mr. Nibbles , it found some tiny, seemingly impassible path in thru heater or some air vent or A pillar?!

damn mystical , chipmunk or something ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #104 of 141 Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM
I am the one, a god with a gun

Looks like a shitload of chile picante CornNuts.
post #105 of 141 Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

i'm dealing with some sort of rodent in my jeep right now. i have the top and doors off, and have a metal tuffy liner covering the tailgate. i noticed the first signs of a rodent yesterday, a few pieces of what looks like rat poop, when i opened the tailgate to grab my jacket out of the back. so last night i put one of those d-con bait chunks (approx. 1.5 inch green cube) on top of the rear wheel well. it's outside the tuffy liner, but near a small gap in the liner so i figure the rat could get out and eat it assuming it is hiding in the tailgate somewhere.

this morning the bait was gone. i couldn't find it anywhere, except for a few small green crumbs where i left the bait the night before. i figure this is a good sign, so i hop in the jeep and head to work. a few miles down the freeway, traffic breaks up so i accelerate to about 70 mph and suddenly feel something drop into my lap. i look down and there it is, the half eaten green bait chunk. the rat must have dragged it up the rear downtube of the roll cage, over the top of the cage and then sat on top of my drivers side sun visor munching away at the poison. when i built up enough speed, the wind must have pushed the poison off the sun visor and into my lap. WTH? that's a lot of work just to eat some poison. anyway, i hope that's the end of it.
post #106 of 141 Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Rock God

I can't wait for the story of how you next extract the body from where it "goes away to die", as they say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #107 of 141 Old 10-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
i'm dealing with some sort of rodent in my jeep right now. i have the top and doors off, and have a metal tuffy liner covering the tailgate. i noticed the first signs of a rodent yesterday, a few pieces of what looks like rat poop, when i opened the tailgate to grab my jacket out of the back. so last night i put one of those d-con bait chunks (approx. 1.5 inch green cube) on top of the rear wheel well. it's outside the tuffy liner, but near a small gap in the liner so i figure the rat could get out and eat it assuming it is hiding in the tailgate somewhere.

this morning the bait was gone. i couldn't find it anywhere, except for a few small green crumbs where i left the bait the night before. i figure this is a good sign, so i hop in the jeep and head to work. a few miles down the freeway, traffic breaks up so i accelerate to about 70 mph and suddenly feel something drop into my lap. i look down and there it is, the half eaten green bait chunk. the rat must have dragged it up the rear downtube of the roll cage, over the top of the cage and then sat on top of my drivers side sun visor munching away at the poison. when i built up enough speed, the wind must have pushed the poison off the sun visor and into my lap. WTH? that's a lot of work just to eat some poison. anyway, i hope that's the end of it.

im beginning to think we have some shapeshifting squirrels and rats that freaking like to mock us. I would now not put it out of the equation that the rat was sitting up in your sport cage , enjoying his free banquet of "green-granola bar goodness" as he got on the "boopiejones bus" to downtown and threw the rat equivalent of a pizza crust down on your lap in mockery.

like @Banshee sees it;I see a "Mr. Nibbles II" soon to be smelling up a nice corner of your rig soon,dude. :ratSmilie:

and yes, @snout ; they look - but did not at all taste - like CornNuts

post #108 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 05:12 AM
Rock God

I deal with a lot of rodent damage on the equipment I service/repair at work. Mostly from mice, but also the occasional squirrel or rat. Sometimes thousands of dollars in damage. Below is a picture of one of the little bastards who finally got what he deserved. I had tried to remove the corpse before I took the picture. After pulling and twisting surprisingly hard I looked closer and found that his jaw was locked around that bare wire. And just for reference, that wire isn't supposed to be bare, it was supposed to be black, as it was the hot wire of a 120V circuit powering a battery charger. Seems he decided to chew that wire one too many times. And also just for reference, the wire was still live when I arrived.

Name:  Lil-Nibbler.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  290.3 KB

Had to crush his head slightly with a pliers to get him free. Over the years I've seen many live wires chewed, often completely in half, and that was the first time I found evidence that the offending rodent got the surprise he had coming.

Mice are some of nastiest animals. I have opened the cover on a piece of equipment to find the entire thing filled with a slurry of mouse crap and piss, with only a tiny space left at the top, a space where the mice were still hanging out. So over time their house had gotten smaller and smaller as it slowly filled with piss-soaked shit. And they seemed to be fine with that. So nasty.

Last edited by BigTB; 10-11-2017 at 05:17 AM.
post #109 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

I used a leaf blower to clean out the inside and tailgate of the jeep yesterday, after finding bait crumbs and green rat poop above the passenger side soundbar. So I put another piece of bait on the wheel well again last night. This is what I found this morning:

Last edited by boopiejones; 10-11-2017 at 08:22 AM.
post #110 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Green poop. I see they are becoming resistant to green poison now. I bet that little thing has made it's home inside your roll bar. those holes up top look like a nice doorway. Hell I'm surprised he hasn't decorated for Halloween yet.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #111 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Green poop. I see they are becoming resistant to green poison now. I bet that little thing has made it's home inside your roll bar. those holes up top look like a nice doorway. Hell I'm surprised he hasn't decorated for Halloween yet.
i think the green poop is actually a good sign. it means they have eaten a lot of poison. i think it takes almost a week for the poison to kill. my understanding is that is by design so that the rodent doesn't associate the poison with death.

about 6 months ago we found signs of a mouse in our house and used the green poison after mouse traps failed. finding green poop under our couch after a few days of baiting marked the beginning of the end for that mouse.

you're probably right about the holes. i might spray some expanding foam in there to finish him off.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #112 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
I deal with a lot of rodent damage on the equipment I service/repair at work. Mostly from mice, but also the occasional squirrel or rat. Sometimes thousands of dollars in damage. Below is a picture of one of the little bastards who finally got what he deserved. I had tried to remove the corpse before I took the picture. After pulling and twisting surprisingly hard I looked closer and found that his jaw was locked around that bare wire. And just for reference, that wire isn't supposed to be bare, it was supposed to be black, as it was the hot wire of a 120V circuit powering a battery charger. Seems he decided to chew that wire one too many times. And also just for reference, the wire was still live when I arrived.

Attachment 313145

Had to crush his head slightly with a pliers to get him free. Over the years I've seen many live wires chewed, often completely in half, and that was the first time I found evidence that the offending rodent got the surprise he had coming.

Mice are some of nastiest animals. I have opened the cover on a piece of equipment to find the entire thing filled with a slurry of mouse crap and piss, with only a tiny space left at the top, a space where the mice were still hanging out. So over time their house had gotten smaller and smaller as it slowly filled with piss-soaked shit. And they seemed to be fine with that. So nasty.

post #113 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I used a leaf blower to clean out the inside and tailgate of the jeep yesterday, after finding bait crumbs and green rat poop above the passenger side soundbar. So I put another piece of bait on the wheel well again last night. This is what I found this morning:
https://youtu.be/OGmxplLuDp4
Green, Rat-Poison Saturated, Squirturds on the Soundbar . That's disgusting but brazen, to be sure. the little things are freaking gross.

post #114 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:

you're probably right about the holes. i might spray some expanding foam in there to finish him off.

And this it was that the the cousin of Mr Nibbles NoMore, was entombed forever in his mighty rolling monument!

Personally, I'd make sure the body was gone, then fill the holes with foam or silicon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #115 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

This is a pretty fantastic thread.
RUCKDOG likes this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #116 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
agreed!
Although lately I have heard some squirrels, mice and rats that seem to be up-in-arms (& heater-cores, air-ducts ,roof consoles ,sport-bar padding...) about it.

To be honest, I don't care about the stinky ,poopin' varmints. However,
at the rate this thread is proceeding, it would seem that it's only a matter of time before the marsupials are gonna want in on some of this Jeep action, too..

:ba-dum-dum-CRASH:

post #117 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
True that. My rodent defense is the neighbors cat that sleeps on the ds front seat most nights when windowless soft top is on. Rats are nasty and mice are no joke but they tend to not stray as far from "home" like rats do. The mice do like the garage however. I do semi-monthly trapping. Usually get 4-5 each set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #118 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
i think the green poop is actually a good sign. it means they have eaten a lot of poison. i think it takes almost a week for the poison to kill. my understanding is that is by design so that the rodent doesn't associate the poison with death.

about 6 months ago we found signs of a mouse in our house and used the green poison after mouse traps failed. finding green poop under our couch after a few days of baiting marked the beginning of the end for that mouse.

I don't use poison cause you don't want it dying in the roll bar/behind a wall etc. Would have to make a trip to TX to get that carcass removed if it did expire up there

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #119 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

What bait were u using with the traps?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #120 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
What bait were u using with the traps?

I was using peanut butter. They ate the peanut butter but the traps never popped. I even tried modifying the catch on the traps to give them a hair trigger, and they still didn't pop.

I was recently reading that you should start with peanut butter on traps that aren't set, and then after a while the mice will get careless. Then you can set the traps and they will pop them.

I set more poison in the same spot on the wheel well just now. If it is eaten tomorrow, I think it might be time to invest in a night vision scope for my pellet gun.
post #121 of 141 Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

I've been traveling down this long road for a while now... Started live-trapping with peanut butter on crackers and cookies but that took too long and it was kinda ugly since I couldn't safely shoot 'em in the trap. Had to bag the trap then smoke 'em to death with Gopher Gasser.

Then moved up to large Victor kill-traps along with a couple Tom Cat bait stations. They ate the death cubes with vigor. Never saw results though. The spring-loaded kill traps worked well for a few kills... breaking necks and spines with ease. Then they started de-baiting the traps and leaving them empty... sprung and un-sprung. Eventually they just avoided the traditional spring-traps altogether.

Problem still persisted though, so moved to making "goody bags" out of sandwich bags filled with about a cup of Ramik green in each bag... looks like green Peanut Butter Capt Crunch. They ate this shit like candy but I never saw results this way either. Felt as if they were immune to this bait or becoming resilient... Mutant Ninja Turtle style.

Used glue-traps a few times early on but after snagging a wren, I decided against using them anymore. The large glue-traps never even phased the rats anyway. Like laser-hair removal at the spa, they would get stuck to the glue then drag the traps through the garage and what I was left with was always just tufts of hair. I'm not paying for beauty-treatments here. These are Texas rats with an attitude, a home gym membership, and survival instincts.

That's the route that I've gone and trust me... I kept wanting to believe that there were just "a couple more". At this point it's been a battle that has spanned the past couple years and I honestly don't know if/ when it's ever going to stop.

We have some large owls that spend many nights right above our property and I firmly believe that they are helping with the problem as they seem to be focused around the driveway/ back-yard/ garage areas. Lately, rodent activity has seemingly tapered off but I know there are more out there. I've also found signs in Chelsea's Corolla and in my 4Runner... under the hoods/ engine bay... Haven't seen any signs of nesting but I have seen plenty of spent pecan shells. This hasn't been recently but again... vigilance is key to at least knowing if they're invading. Whenever I have found any signs, I've subsequently vacuumed up the debris, droppings, and food remains in order to monitor their activity a bit more proactively. If I DO see signs, I immediately come in again with spring-traps and more kill-bait but rats just love to fuck and eat and nest... so it's just a seemingly never-ending conflict.

Things have really quieted down over the past few months. Unfortunately winter is coming so... we'll see.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #122 of 141 Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

i think we're getting closer to the death of my rat. either that, or my rat has become emboldened and no longer gives a crap where he eats. this morning the bait was gone, but the rat didn't get very far with it. made it about two feet, and ate his green poison dinner on top of the tuffy tailgate liner. i will put out more poison tonight, but i'm guessing (hoping) it will still be there in the morning. sorry the picture is sideways...

Banshee likes this.

Last edited by boopiejones; 10-12-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #123 of 141 Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Granite Guru

who's smarter than a mouse?

yesterday afternoon when I got back to my car after work, there was some poop on the tuffy tailgate liner. this damn mouse has become so brazen and careless that it's cruising around my jeep in the busy parking garage. it gave me an idea...

on the way home I bought a large sticky trap, set the poison in center and then put it on the same spot of the wheelwell. nailed him!!! get outta my jeep, fool!

Banshee and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.
post #124 of 141 Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice take down. Hopefully a bachelor and no extended family

Are monitor lizards illegal to own in TX?

Banshee likes this.

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #125 of 141 Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

I've got a big snake but he doesn't get out that much.

Glad you got that bastard, jones. Will be curious to see if that's the end of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode