Release of Voter Records and PII - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigTB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-27-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Release of Voter Records and PII

Good morning, JKOwners!

Just wanted to pass this on. At work yesterday, I received an email (see below) from one of our Cyber guys which talked to the recent discovery of voter records released to a public website. I can't say I'm too surprised about this, but considering the nature of our work, Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is a BIG deal around here and this didn't sit well with me (hmm, constitutional?). Here are the Cliff Notes: the FBI was recently informed that Colorado, among other states, has released its voter records to some website called www.voterrecords.com. Go to the website, enter your full name, scroll to the bottom, click 'Record Opt-Out', and fill out the short form on the next page. You should then see 'Opt-Out Successful'. Yes, I understand a lot of the information may already be out there somewhere on the ether, but, honestly, this is ridiculous!

States impacted: Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, Washington

Email is as follows:
///"The FBI has recently been informed that several states (listed below) have
released voter records to www.voterrecords.com. This site collects voter
registration information and publicizes the information identified below.
To reduce the amount of personal information this site displays about you,
and any of your family members that are registered voters, use the following
steps:

1. Search for your name on the website.
2. If found, click on your name.
3. Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the "Record Opt-Out"
link (very bottom right).
4. On this page fill out the form to the left and click "submit opt-out"

States releasing voter records: Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, Florida, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode
Island, Utah, Washington

Publicized Information

- Name
- Date of birth
- Home address
- Year registered to vote at that address
- Others at that address
- Possible previous addresses"///

I hope my tin foil hat isn't on too tight Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Nothing on me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 21 Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Rock God

Speaking of tin foil hats. Does anybody else have the thought "hey, I don't want my personal information out there. I'll just hop on this random website and enter all my personal information so it doesn't get shared."
post #4 of 21 Old 09-27-2016, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Speaking of tin foil hats. Does anybody else have the thought "hey, I don't want my personal information out there. I'll just hop on this random website and enter all my personal information so it doesn't get shared."
I just decided to test it out, being as I don't live in any of those states I just typed in my name to see what came up. Turns out there are a dozen or so people in those states with the same name as me. And then I could click on their names and see their DoB, phone number, street address. It's a bit scary how much info is available to anyone on that site.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I just decided to test it out, being as I don't live in any of those states I just typed in my name to see what came up. Turns out there are a dozen or so people in those states with the same name as me. And then I could click on their names and see their DoB, phone number, street address. It's a bit scary how much info is available to anyone on that site.
Unfortunately, that info is available from multiple sources, not just that site. I remember one time a tax company had a form with a series of questions to verify my identity. The questions were crazy specific, such as who I lived with at a specific address and time over 10 years ago. What model and color car I drove at a particular time, what my sister's address was, etc. I was thinking "I didn't even remember some of that stuff, how the hell do you know those things about me?" I can't remember all the questions, but there was some scary-specific stuff. The questions were on a form and were multiple choice. The form had all the correct answers in the choices, so they knew the info. A little freaky how much info about everyone is stored in some database somewhere.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I know. I know. Great point, @BigTB . I want to apologize to everyone because I think I fouled this one up and arguably have not make a good impression here so far. I'm disappointed in myself and my work's Cyber team, but mostly myself for taking the bait, getting all in a tizzy about it, then not taking a breather before letting the keyboard fly. At this point, I'm going to call bunk on this "website" as I did the opt-out thing yesterday morning, gave it 24 hours to reflect in the system...and my info is still there ([sad trombone sound] wah wah waaahh ).

Truth be told, that was my concern in making the first post: "Well this rando link is going to look an awful lot like some stupid spam, isn't it? Especially coming from some new guy who can't spell 'baja' correctly." Again, I apologize (please don't kick me out).
post #7 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Unfortunately, that info is available from multiple sources, not just that site. I remember one time a tax company had a form with a series of questions to verify my identity. The questions were crazy specific, such as who I lived with at a specific address and time over 10 years ago. What model and color car I drove at a particular time, what my sister's address was, etc. I was thinking "I didn't even remember some of that stuff, how the hell do you know those things about me?" I can't remember all the questions, but there was some scary-specific stuff. The questions were on a form and were multiple choice. The form had all the correct answers in the choices, so they knew the info. A little freaky how much info about everyone is stored in some database somewhere.
True, but that's not public information and the Federal statutes surrounding the collection and use of that data are air-tight. Yes, I work in an industry where I can know everything about everyone and use that data to create the types of questions you're taling about. The good news is that it protects consumers, and it protects our industry as well. Even within this space, a very limited number of people can read this data and access is tightly controlled. When you know what's going on behind the scenes and the measures taken to keep it secure, it's not scary at all.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Rock God

It found me and another person with the same name. I opted out. Now, it does say what it will remove, and it does remove what it says, however it does not remove EVERYTHING from the listing. It just makes it more general. Got to read between the lines with that.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #9 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

So there are other sites out there that might have my infeaux..........such as the US Census, which I'm sure a 14 year old wanna be black hat or script kiddie can/has penetrated.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #10 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
True, but that's not public information and the Federal statutes surrounding the collection and use of that data are air-tight. Yes, I work in an industry where I can know everything about everyone and use that data to create the types of questions you're taling about. The good news is that it protects consumers, and it protects our industry as well. Even within this space, a very limited number of people can read this data and access is tightly controlled. When you know what's going on behind the scenes and the measures taken to keep it secure, it's not scary at all.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't keep me up nights or anything. None of it was technically secret info or anything, just super specific stuff from times all through my life. Just crazy that all that info is compiled and stored somewhere.

I tend to fall in the middle of the range of being tight with my personal info. I don't use facebook, etc. and don't go out of my way to post my info all over the place. But I also realize that info like name, address, etc. is readily available from multiple public info sources, so finding out there is yet another place where it can be seen doesn't affect me too much. Even many years ago, before the internet was a very big deal, you could go to public record sites and get detailed info about any address (current and previous owner info, purchase and sale price, tax info, etc.).
post #11 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't keep me up nights or anything. None of it was technically secret info or anything, just super specific stuff from times all through my life. Just crazy that all that info is compiled and stored somewhere.

I tend to fall in the middle of the range of being tight with my personal info. I don't use facebook, etc. and don't go out of my way to post my info all over the place. But I also realize that info like name, address, etc. is readily available from multiple public info sources, so finding out there is yet another place where it can be seen doesn't affect me too much. Even many years ago, before the internet was a very big deal, you could go to public record sites and get detailed info about any address (current and previous owner info, purchase and sale price, tax info, etc.).
Let's just imagine that Killary gets elected and intrudes via Obama care into your medical prescription history with your insurance company or drug store. Ah hah, lookie here this guy BigTB has in the past or is now been taking some meds for anxiety. WTF!!!?? Well do to one of the laws she passed, you are considered having a past of mental problemeauxs and therefore she's sending some of her ATF/FBI friends to get your guns and your name goes on a national "Can't buy/possess firearms registry". They also know from your farcebook account, you know where you bragged about all your guns and ammo stash and made that ridiculous (to them) statement "from my cold dead hands" or words to that effect. Yup, now is the time to take all of your weapons and bring them with you on your next fishing trip on an extremely deep body of water where you just may have an unfortunate boating accident boating accident such as the one that Gunny and I had way back when. ........Just sayin'.

Quote:
post #12 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Let's just imagine that Killary gets elected and intrudes via Obama care into your medical prescription history with your insurance company or drug store. Ah hah, lookie here this guy BigTB has in the past or is now been taking some meds for anxiety. WTF!!!?? Well do to one of the laws she passed, you are considered having a past of mental problemeauxs and therefore she's sending some of her ATF/FBI friends to get your guns and your name goes on a national "Can't buy/possess firearms registry". They also know from your farcebook account, you know where you bragged about all your guns and ammo stash and made that ridiculous (to them) statement "from my cold dead hands" or words to that effect. Yup, now is the time to take all of your weapons and bring them with you on your next fishing trip on an extremely deep body of water where you just may have an unfortunate boating accident boating accident such as the one that Gunny and I had way back when. ........Just sayin'.
Yeah, I am more apprehensive about what the folks "keeping it secure" may eventually use it for. But it's out there, no "opt out" is going to get rid of it now.

Also, I don't own any guns. Most were lost forever in a similar accident to yours. The rest I melted down to make signs politely asking people not to hurt me or take my stuff. Safer that way.
RubiCajun likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, I am more apprehensive about what the folks "keeping it secure" may eventually use it for. But it's out there, no "opt out" is going to get rid of it now.

Also, I don't own any guns. Most were lost forever in a similar accident to yours. The rest I melted down to make signs politely asking people not to hurt me or take my stuff. Safer that way.
Please accept my sincerest condolences. I'm sure such a devastating loss has had an adverse effect on your life as you know it. Would you mind PMing me the coordinates of said accident. Just so I could guard it for you understand.

Quote:
post #14 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 06:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yea, pretty much....
Attached Images

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #15 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Unhappy

Quote:

I just gave you a little bit of detail on the storage, access, and usage of that data. With that said, what Alan is saying isn't off base by any stretch. I don't use any social media whatsoever, any cloud-based storage I use contains fully depersonalized items, and even my emails are kept 'tight'. In short I keep a profile that is as small and anonymous as possible. Why? Because our government cannot and should not be trusted with any of our data. They work tirelessly on interception and collection technology, and engage the private and public sectors (who NEVER objects to government requests for data, despite their legal ability to refuse), and the government doesn't need to know a damn thing about me except that I exist and have paid my taxes. No way am I going to voluntarily surrender personal data of ANY kind to our iron-fisted control-happy leviathan of a government.

If that's not bad enough, now our internet has been handed over to ICANN. Expect things to get a lot worse.

But as Alan says, they either already have it, will have it, and will use it in ways that are in violation of our Constitution. None of use lay people have any insight into what they do or have plans to do. I can only shake my head when people get all puffed up on Facebook about conservative viewpoints and principals and their gun collection and the second coming of 1776. The tables have turned, and conservatives are now the enemy of the State (whereas it used to be communists). It's an open invitation to have yourself become known and scrutinized. I'll take the relative anonymity, thanks.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #16 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Being military for twenty years they have my info all over the place including fingerprints and DNA
Beans and bullets lol.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's what they will use all that information for in the future that makes me nervous. Cause we don't know what that will be. Pretty sure it wont be used for going after liberals though.

Kevin
post #18 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 11:54 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
It's what they will use all that information for in the future that makes me nervous. Cause we don't know what that will be. Pretty sure it wont be used for going after liberals though.
Once they load every gun purchase in the last twenty years into the syatem we will see the strong hand of government crush down.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

So most liberals are scared shitless of guns and the "lowlife conservatives" that own them. So can you imagine liberals coming to take your guns. I can picture the scene now as they knock on my door and being very polite and PC say something like: Excuse me sir, I really hate to intrude in your life and privacy but I need to collect your gun(s). Your guns aren't loaded are they? You tell them yes they are and they have been ever since you decided that you could possibly be a woman in a man's body and you're so confused and I'm thinking that I'm also possibly turning to liberalism because conservatism is dead..................then you pull your .45 and waste the fucker.

Quote:
post #20 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Rock God

They don't deserve an explanation...
post #21 of 21 Old 10-02-2016, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

"I'm in fear for my life" BANG

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode