World of Tanks...anyone? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

World of Tanks...anyone?

Ok, I've been a video game nut since I was a kid and usually love the military genres and sometimes racing games..

Last month I decided to try World of Tanks on my Xbone console and wow, this game is good.
Currently driving two tier 9 tanks as well as the "Freedom" premium tank and the "Ram2" Premium. A few others as well.
I've been sticking to the American lineup to keep things more simple and also a bit of patriotism here.

Sweet game, anyone else in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've been playing on and off for about 4 years now.
It is a lot of fun, but I take breaks from time to time to get into other games. I'm in 'The Division' now, but pop in to keep things updated in my downtime.

I love how simple the game is, and how complex the tactics are at the same time. I haven't gotten into any clans yet, but wouldn't mind trying it out. My biggest issue is I only game two to three nights a week, and sometimes less depending on the wife's mood.

I have bought a few premiums, but like my Tier IX T30 the best so far. I keep a Hellcat because it's fun, but they nerfed it a while back, so it is slower than it used to be. If you get some time, go down the arty path, any nation will do but I think France and Germany have the best SPGs. I also went with US tanks, and seem to do well with them.

Every man should be able to use his hands to fight his way to his knife, his knife to his sidearm, his sidearm to his rifle, his rifle to freedom, and skip steps whenever possible.

--I don't know who said that
post #3 of 11 Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That's exactly right, its basically a simple game but the tacticals and strategy is all in. The playing fields are fantastic and detailed as well as the tanks and Artys.
I have an M12 (Tier 7) Artillery piece and I do enjoy playing it. A whole different approach though of course.

I've got the T95 TD which is a beast but it moves so slow that you basically have to get into a stealthy position immediately and pick off the reds as they come into view. Really cant drive it around.
I'd like to try the T30. heard good things about it and it and its more mobile than the T95 pancake.
I really enjoy the M103 Heavy Tank and the T34 heavy Premium. Itching to get a tier 10 finally but its a long slow grind accumulating the XP at this stage.
I haven't tried any Clans yet either. Yep, these games can eat up time quickly. I try to do the Daily 2XP bonuses on my Premium and Elite tanks and then I'm out.

BTW, the Hellcat was a lot of fun.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

I almost went T95, but since I have a tier VIII arty, I can attest they are easily immobilized and penned from the top. I will sometimes spend a whole match focused on tracking them.

I played a bit this weekend since you brought it up. Had a crappy time of it. Bad MM rolls and I was bottom tier for like 11 straight battles no matter what tank I rolled. Made for a bit of a frustrating session.

I love that the game is 100% free, and if you do pay money I think you get decent value for it. I think I have spend about 60 bucks in the years I have played. I haven't been that fixated on getting to tier X, but the closer I get with the T30, the more I want to pull the trigger on a load of gold to get to that T110E4.

Every man should be able to use his hands to fight his way to his knife, his knife to his sidearm, his sidearm to his rifle, his rifle to freedom, and skip steps whenever possible.

post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That happens to me quite a lot it seems. I get stuck in a game full of tier X and I'll be one of the few tier VII or VIII rolling. The T95 is as you say vulnerable to Arty's, but even worse is its sitting duck for light tanks too. I have been getting much better with it now as I've learned to stay put in a good location and wait for reds to roll into view. Having a good crew is important to. For the TD's (especially the 95) I have Camouflage, Silent Driving, Muffled Shot, Green Thumb as well as Deadeye, Brothers in Arms and some others. Before all those skills and perks I would be spotted easily but now not so much. Makes a big difference. Yeah, I'm saving up for the T110E3, that should be a fun ride. The T57 heavy is also on my list but will take longer up the tech tree.
The fact that the game is free is what got me started with it, but I've been impatient to advance and must have spent 200.00 by now. Converting the Premium and Elite tank XP points alone can ring up the bill. I think its a fair value too, you spend what you can and what you feel the game is worth to you.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Funny. I played it on iPad- it's actually called WoT Blitz on iPad. The maps are all very small, so the games moved very fast. And since a lot of combat took place in close quarters, you really had to make use of angling the armor, side scraping, and many other tactics. Also since the maps were small, you really knew where everyone was at any given time. I was addicted to it for a year, and had numerous tier X tanks. I actually had to quit playing it "cold turkey" because it was monopolizing my free time.

And then I played it on PS4. I really really wanted to love it. But I just couldn't get into it. It just didn't have the same fast pace, and the tactics (angling, side scraping) just didn't have much impact since (a) everything takes place at longer distances (b) you're taking hits from every random place, and (c) ARTY!!! (yeah, no arty in the Blitz version). I played for a couple weeks, and as much as I wanted to love the game, I finally had to give up because I just wasn't having fun.

The game was completely ruined by me playing the mobile version first.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Funny. I played it on iPad- it's actually called WoT Blitz on iPad. The maps are all very small, so the games moved very fast. And since a lot of combat took place in close quarters, you really had to make use of angling the armor, side scraping, and many other tactics. Also since the maps were small, you really knew where everyone was at any given time. I was addicted to it for a year, and had numerous tier X tanks. I actually had to quit playing it "cold turkey" because it was monopolizing my free time.

And then I played it on PS4. I really really wanted to love it. But I just couldn't get into it. It just didn't have the same fast pace, and the tactics (angling, side scraping) just didn't have much impact since (a) everything takes place at longer distances (b) you're taking hits from every random place, and (c) ARTY!!! (yeah, no arty in the Blitz version). I played for a couple weeks, and as much as I wanted to love the game, I finally had to give up because I just wasn't having fun.

The game was completely ruined by me playing the mobile version first.
Yeah that happens. I had the opposite experience with it. I had been playing a game on my iPhone called Iron force ( you might like that too). Very fast paced with battles lasting 3.5 minutes. I was addicted to that game for a year and then I tried WOT on the iPhone and just couldn't get into it. Months later I tried WoT on the Xbox One, took a few days to get the hang of it but now I'm hooked. Have not played any games on my iPhone since.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Finally got the T110E3, wow this thing is a beast. Sufficient speed, heavy armor and huge gun. I can hide out in the foliage or take it right into the battle and play it almost like a heavy, although I have to face my enemy head on as there's no turret.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sweet.

I still haven't played much since getting Division. I will prolly get back to it now that I have gotten to the endgame part of Division, but there is an expansion available.

I did spend some time back in tier I for a bit this past weekend, just to get back to basics. Those battles are fast paced, and short. Maybe worth spending some time pissing around with.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-19-2019, 12:44 AM

Hi, I have played World of Tanks long time back, its an wonderful game, full of action and strategy. I always liked to play in multiplayer mode. anyway, now a days I am playing another game World of Warships: Legends with my Xbox one. this is also an exciting game, uncontrollable addiction.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonArcher View Post
Hi, I have played World of Tanks long time back, its an wonderful game, full of action and strategy. I always liked to play in multiplayer mode. anyway, now a days I am playing another game World of Warships: Legends with my Xbox one. this is also an exciting game, uncontrollable addiction.

Holy Necro- .Bring back a thread that is over three years old , wow .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode