JK mirror relocation Sucks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

JK mirror relocation Sucks

Want to remove your doors and relocate your mirrors?

Ok this is for you folks who have been searching or will be in the future for relocation brackets for your mirrors when you take your doors off.

First, Lets all give thanks to the brilliant engineers at Chrysler who designed and manufactured such a cheap mirror. ( Why would you design a mirror that was mounted to a door that is removable, and not make that mirror easily mountable elsewhere once the door is removed without having to buy other hardware?)

Second, my personal thanks go out to Rugged Ridge and their team of design engineers. I have to know, did they really test their product on a real Jeep once completed? The passenger mirror, once relocated to the "A" pillar using the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets, is completely useless.

*IF* you do decide to use the RR brackets, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the torx screw holding the mirror to the bracket. I would suggest hand tightening them and then maybe one to two turns with a ratchet. They have this warning in bold in their instructions for a reason. Yes, I stripped the threads on the mirror base. Luckily, there were more threads deeper and I was able to purchase a longer M8-1.25x40 bolt and washer.

I would suggest reading other members experiences on relocating the mirrors and choose wisely.

The old saying, "you get what you pay for" is true. I would not recommend the RR brackets if you want to

Good luck

Póg mo thóin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

There is another thread posted that has the new mirror relocation brackets that places the mirror in the stock door mount location without the doors on....looks badass and functional!

For the RR ones, it might be a cheaper option if you are only doing it to be legal having mirrors mounted. The driver side is still functional, but the right side sucks to look out of without bending over a little to peer around the corner of the dash.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
There is another thread posted that has the new mirror relocation brackets that places the mirror in the stock door mount location without the doors on....looks badass and functional!

For the RR ones, it might be a cheaper option if you are only doing it to be legal having mirrors mounted. The driver side is still functional, but the right side sucks to look out of without bending over a little to peer around the corner of the dash.
I mounted the rr on the passenger side with longer bolts and a ton of washers and its not bad, not perfect. But livable

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #4 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
I mounted the rr on the passenger side with longer bolts and a ton of washers and its not bad, not perfect. But livable
hmmm.....that's a thought. Do you notice any vibration/jiggle out of it with all the spacers or does it hold pretty steady?

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

4 words..... Harley long stem mirrors

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #6 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
hmmm.....that's a thought. Do you notice any vibration/jiggle out of it with all the spacers or does it hold pretty steady?
Totally solid
No vibration at all
I used fender washers cause they are bigger, covered more area

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #7 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Rock God

Running a Panhead mirror I took off the wifes bike put on the top hinge
post #8 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

My wife got hers from Quadra and they work pretty good, hinge mount, one freaking nut, no vibes, $60 for a pair.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I read a thread a couple of years ago about some mirrors called Euro mirrors that were sold at AutoZone for about $16 for both. I bought them. they fit the bolt pattern on the A pillar flange. You can see pretty good out the drivers side mirror but the passenger side sucks and it's there mainly for the cops in case passenger side mirrors are required in your state. I used to remove them whenever I put the doors back on, but then I got lazy and left them on. I just push them forward so the door mounted mirrors don't hit them.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #10 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
JKO Addict!

I used the RR driver side only. All I am required is the rear view and the drivers mirror with doors off. With doors on most people dont notice the difference between the drivers and passenger mirror locations.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
Pictures???? I have the RR on drivers and would like to move the passenger over during the summer.

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #12 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use the RR for cpl years now, I just leave the stock brackets on the doors also, bought slightly longer 13mm bolts, the stock bolts barely thread into the mirror on the RR brackets. I leave a 13mm socket in the glove box, it takes less then a minute to move the passenger mirror to the door bracket if I put them back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #13 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM
JKO Addict!

I use the RR brackets as well.
I turn my head to the right before lane changes and dont get my panties in a wad

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #14 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Wheeler

There are also these mirror brackets, I don't know if they are any good or not. http://www.dietechoffroad.com/produc...rorbracket.htm

What brackets would you guys recommend? I was gonna pick up the RR tomorrow as There doesn't seem to be much else on the market.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru

I just got the Mopar driver's side bracket and leave the bracket in place all year round. If I want the doors on, I just rotate it forward so it is parallell to the body.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #16 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Rock God

I have the RR brackets. The stock mirrors have a longer threaded bolt which is what I used for mine. It's been a couple of years since I did this so I don't remember many details but the original bolt they suggest just barely reaches the mirror. I nearly stripped mine out too. When I realized the mirrors had a longer bolt I just used it. Works fine. No additional hardware purchase

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #17 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
4 words..... Harley long stem mirrors
^^^^^^

mine work great. Mounted the passenger side on the bottom hinge and it works fine for me

post #18 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ImmortalityLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
I used the RR driver side only. All I am required is the rear view and the drivers mirror with doors off. With doors on most people dont notice the difference between the drivers and passenger mirror locations.
^^^^This goes for me, too. And since I had the leftover filler plate from the unused passenger side, I was good to go when I got the 2nd set of doors.

Joel
2010 Tiki Rescue World Champion
post #19 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
I read a thread a couple of years ago about some mirrors called Euro mirrors that were sold at AutoZone for about $16 for both. I bought them. they fit the bolt pattern on the A pillar flange. You can see pretty good out the drivers side mirror but the passenger side sucks and it's there mainly for the cops in case passenger side mirrors are required in your state. I used to remove them whenever I put the doors back on, but then I got lazy and left them on. I just push them forward so the door mounted mirrors don't hit them.
Did you fix the one that Chuck busted on our Big Bend run?! lol

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #20 of 25 Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Oh yeah, fixed it a couple of days after we got back.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #21 of 25 Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use the Lange, drivers side only. It's not bad but it whisltes constantly. Guess thats what the stereo if for.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Mark Allen is the design chief at Fiat-owned Chrysler, and he is proud of bringing back (SLOWLY) some of the features that were on original CJ's-- such as the folding windshield and the trapezoidal shaped front grille. But if he truly drives what he designs, and wants to use his jeep the way most Americans want to use theirs, he should simply take his doors off and realize how idiotic his design happens to be. We want to take the doors off and GO! Not fumble around with washers, third-party aftermarket mirrors to go in some moronic location (empty door hinge, etc.) C'mon man, get your butt in a jeep at the factory and take the doors off and use some of that executive salary for some critical thinking on this mirror location problem you have created. The JL is a step in the right direction, but I'm not going to fork over any money to buy one until you at least get the mirror problem solved-meaning Mr. Allen has finally decided to mount the mirror on the body similar to a CJ solution. While you are at it Mark, put the windshield wipers on the windshield frame so we can truly fold down the windshield without removing the wipers from the hood location (again, moron award for engineering). Not negative, but it is almost 2020 and AMC got it right in 1976? C'mon man!
post #23 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Rock God

Quadratec makes a nice system albeit expensive as shit but it works really well. https://www.quadratec.com/products/13125_0220_07.htm

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
post #24 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 06:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

@superstu ....you revieved a 9 yr old post for that?
Outstanding! Welcome to the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #25 of 25 Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
Granite Guru

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode