Scam or not, you be the judge. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Scam or not, you be the judge.

So, I get this email this afternoon:

Subject: Are you......?

Hello,

There is a situation here i think you should know about.

Miss Jia
----------------------

So I respond:

Who is this?
------------

I get this back:

Chris,

My name is Miss Jia Hunan. I work with a Chinese Bank in Norway as one of the account officers. I came across the account details of Late Mr. Micheal. B. (my last name). The circumstances surrounding the account made me suspicious so I decided to hire a private investigator to personally search for his relatives. He came back with your contact details and assured me that you are a relative. I am presently in Japan on a financial management course and the reason I am doing this is because I know the money is meant for your family and I feel it's right. If you think the money is not yours but you are still interested due to surname similarity, we can still finish this together besides, the money belongs to your country. I also know that when you get your money, I would want to be compensated so that I can pay for the surgery my uncle needs to undergo soon.

Jia
---------------------

I think it's a scam, but I'm going to respond anyway, see how long I can drag it out. I don't know a Micheal (my last name) at all...

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...and tell your friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Scam. But string 'em a long for a bit.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Rock God

Keep us posted and tell her TOGTFO!! (Hey Gold Knight I'm learnng my acronyms! LOL)

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #4 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Yeah it's BS, I get about three or four of them in my spam mail a week! Same name and all, plus some other ones too!

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #5 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Rock God

Tell her Great I'm in Japan also! Let's meet for lunch!

post #6 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_) View Post
LoL. It would be great if you could see that scammer's reaction after replying with that
post #7 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't believe people actually open that crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kickerman View Post
Keep us posted and tell her TOGTFO!! (Hey Gold Knight I'm learnng my acronyms! LOL)
lolol,

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had a friend string one along for several months writing in the same style as all the other bad nigerian scams... it was pretty funny for a while.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #9 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

My last name is the same, no similar, nope and anagram, nope ok my last is a last name like you have a last name that is your last name. There. So if you send me one million USD and I will open up a bank account for you in some country without extradition or ties to the US and I will send you monthly installments not more than one million(th) of 1 percent of the amount of money you sent me rounded down to the nearest 1/2 cent. Sounds like a good plan to me. Send me your address and banking information so I can initiate the transaction.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_) View Post
LOL. that is the best response!!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #11 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I still say TOGTFO

Tell her it is the only way that you are sure you can trust her....
post #12 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Open up a bank account with a dollar and giver da details. Tell her to transfer the cash asap via money wire

post #13 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My response:

How much money are we talking about, in USD?

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #14 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Any time they ask for money a bell should go off in your brain....SCAM. Different variation of the Nigeria scam.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #15 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

There is also another nice twist on the orig Nigerian scam. Same premis but instead of from the nigerian bank it comes from the FBI fraud division with all the seals and official crap....
post #16 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to oneleggedsheep

clearly just a nice woman trying to do the right thing.
post #17 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

After my response, this is her reply:

Chris,

Let me explain the situation to you. At the end of a five year mandate of any bonded depository account, if such an account is not claimed or renewed to commence another tenure of 5 additional years, a 6 month grace period is granted to the account holder or it's designated beneficiary, an ancillary probate is then issued to provide such a beneficiary whereby failure to do so at the end of it's expiration, the funds will be quarantined and shared amongst the directors of the bank at the end of that fiscal year. This is about to happen to the said funds and the amount involved is about NOK20,015,864.63(equivalent to 3.4m United States dollars), this I feel may not be to upright from both my end and also the end of the directors of the bank but I think it would rather be more beneficial to you and I who at end of the day will use the funds to affect the lives of other people as well as close family members rather than the executive directors who will use it to increase there already huge bonuses. The reason why I decided to contact you was based on the mandate on the file. Usually, when an account is dormant or unclaimed, the bank issues out a 6 month grace period so that the next of kin be notified.. In this case, the bank issued only a one month grace period and that was when I knew something was not right and I had to do something. The good thing is that you will deal with the bank directly and I will just be at end to give you all the necessary guidelines and paperwork the bank might require of you. The money needed for the surgery is $68,000.00.

If this is well understood by you, let me know so that we can begin the process

Jia
-------------------

I dunno guys.....seems legit!

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #18 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Granite Guru

Oldest scam in the world. Anytime someone wants "compensation" it's a scam. Real simple. Tell her just deduct the 68K and send you the remaining balance. If you keep going with this, guaranteed she'll end up wanting bank account info, credit card info....something to gain access to your financial world. You're doing exactly what these people want you to do. Following along and gaining trust. If it's not a scam (which I seriously doubt), she'll have no trouble doing the deduction and sending you a certified check for the balance minus the 68K.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.AndrewsJeep View Post
Oldest scam in the world. Anytime someone wants "compensation" it's a scam. Real simple. Tell her just deduct the 68K and send you the remaining balance. If you keep going with this, guaranteed she'll end up wanting bank account info, credit card info....something to gain access to your financial world. You're doing exactly what these people want you to do. Following along and gaining trust. If it's not a scam (which I seriously doubt), she'll have no trouble doing the deduction and sending you a certified check for the balance minus the 68K.
Oh, I know it's a scam, I'm just going to play a long and see how far I can take it.

At 3.4M, I'd give her 400k, and tell her to send me the remaining amount! lol

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #20 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 AM
JKO Addict!

ask her if the split in a Japanese vagina is really horizontal

2015 JKU Sport Virgin
post #21 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Tell her to send you the money and you will get her a ticket here to get the surgery done under our new healthcare package.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #22 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
Tell her to send you the money and you will get her a ticket here to get the surgery done under our new healthcare package.
haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibious View Post
Will do. Seriously!

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
post #23 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Cleanup on ViewSonic, Cleanup on ViewSonic! Glad I only had one drop of coffee left.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Someone advertised in the local paper a truck for sale for $4800. It is a 2006 Dodge ram quad cab diesel and loaded. Anyone live in or around Ozark MO and want to go check out a truck for me?
post #25 of 26 Old 03-31-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

So, following up on this, I received this email this morning, after I told "her" I would like to proceed with the money transfer:

"Chris,

Attached is a formal claims form that I have drafted for you to fill and send to the bank. You will have to download, fill, scan and send to the bank's verification email which is [email protected]. The moment they receive they will get back to you and we will take it from there. You free to ask any question and I will be glad to answer them to the best of my knowledge. Let me know when you have sent the filled form to the bank."
-------------------------------------

I haven't opened the documents at work.....I'll save that for home, but i'm interested to see what the documents are. Time to ask her the all important question?
Quote:

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4

Go visit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode