JKOwners Forum banner

Shop in Calgary screwed my differential up!

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  07unlimitedx 
#1 · (Edited)
Back to 2010,i was living in Calgary,hanged out with CJA guys almost every weekend,well CJA guys are really nice guys.
I decided to regear to more lower ratio one day,then did a lot research in order to find a good shop local can do this job.Finally with the help of friends on website and CJA,XXXDA PRECISION became my choice.
Got a quote of $2200 in total includ Yukon gears and labor,well the price is not cheap but still acceptble back to 2010 when lots Vendors price over 500bucks one set yukon.
After 4 days wait,the job is finally done,and handed over me a bill of $2600,the guy said they used better oil (WTF! I konw!) Anyway,i paid off the bill and drove the jeep home that day.
One month later i moved back to vancouver,then i heard the hum sound from rear diff on the hwy,but there is no chance for me to drive back let xxxda fix it,cz im 1000km away.
Been 2 years the jeep is just my weekend worrior,only put 10k kms on it,and last week when i opened the diff trying to re wire the ARB ,i found this from the front.

I jus thoght i may playing a lil hard on d30 till i took the jeep to a professional local gear shop.A Really nice guy named Enrico who run the shop i have to say,he found and showed me the reason why my ring and pinion fail.
1 NEGATIVE preload on gear
2 ZERO preload on arb carrier.
3 the pattern on ring is shit.
4 Used the wrong crush sleeve
I was like holyxxck!!!With Enrico's suggestion,we opened the rear diff to check the gear up,and right on,the rear had the exactely problem except the teeth not broken yet,ive been told the xxnda just reused factory shims directly put on without any adjustment!

Now i broke!

All i have to say,XHANDA,YOU SCREWED ME UP!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear that shayu that suck big time. Hope things get better. Did u take pics an send them a pic of what a crappy install they did. Hell I would even threaten them with court just for the hell of it. Can't hurt to try and get something outta them

#3 ·
That sucks, but for what it's worth, reusing the stock shims is actually pretty common. I've set up a couple now, including my own, using stock shims. However I wouldn't expect that to be the case when changing the differential to an ARB..I am also not sure how your guy was able to determine that they reused the old crush sleeve..there really isn't anything identifiable about that to say one way or the other..

#4 · (Edited)
Yes,you can reuse the factory shims if they are in correct size,what i been told is they probably just took stock carrier out,put the ARB in,without any pattern check,without putting more or less shims to adjust.Well i correct my post for the crush sleeve,they used the wrong sleeve,and the sleeve is damaged,probably they dont have right tools just "hammer" it on.hope this make sense.
Sorry to hear that shayu that suck big time. Hope things get better. Did u take pics an send them a pic of what a crappy install they did. Hell I would even threaten them with court just for the hell of it. Can't hurt to try and get something outta them
Thanks for the words,ewen.i already post this on my FB ,im sure my CJA friends in calgary will pass this around.And already filed a BBB complaint form,and past this webpage to them.

#6 ·
The job is done yesterday!Cost me $1500 for both f&r,parts and labor included,and also 2 hrs labor for getting my ball joints problem fixed.Jeep now is quiet and smooth,and i even notice the mileage get better:cwm13:This guy is really nice and cool ,he explained every brand's cons and pros,and even educated me a little about setting up gears.I would like recommend him to everyone.
Compare with him,Chanda precision Motorworks is piece of shit!

#10 ·
That sucks... I just had my gears, locker and rcv's installed... by a different company. National now 4 wheel parts... did a great job. The local club went out to Whipsaw, we had a great time and I have no issues. He's still around, I think he's got a new shop now, new name etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.