Build it and they will come... Funny story. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Build it and they will come... Funny story.

Winnipeg Free Press
December 24th, 2011
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...136178743.html

Hundreds of boulders have suddenly appeared on a Portage Avenue business property -- confounding patrons of a 40-year-old Westwood neighbourhood eatery.

Superior Management, which owns all of the property on a Portage Avenue lot in Westwood except for D-Jay's Restaurant and the Bank of Montreal, placed hundreds of large stones on their property along the east side of D-Jay's.

The long mound of boulders was put on former parking spaces -- including handicapped spots -- previously used by D-Jay's, and was placed directly in front of the entrance. Local residents and D-Jay's customers are complaining the rocks obstruct the entrance and make it more difficult to get into the restaurant.

D-Jay's rented the parking spots now covered by stones for about 40 years, but Superior Management recently stopped leasing that part of the site to the restaurant.

D-Jay's has seating for 200, but after dropping from 60 parking spots to 20, had to tear down its patio to build new parking spots.

Superior Management declined to comment.

Robert Johnson, D-Jay's owner and manager, said he turned down an offer from Superior to buy his restaurant about five years ago.

"I think it's excessive," Johnson said. "They're trying to say keep out. But our customers will come despite the fences.

"Ever since our dealings together didn't come to any successful conclusion for either party, they haven't exactly been a warm, loving neighbour," Johnson said.

The owners of Terri's Unisex Hair Salon and Tanning, which uses the same parking lot, feel they are also being targeted.

"It's very sad and I'm disgusted," said Teresa Kayer, one of the owners. "I've had people stop coming into my salon because of the rocks," which she said have already caused accidents.

Kayer said Superior Management put the rocks in "because Superior wanted to buy D-Jay's and they won't sell."

She said the stones disrupt business for everyone. "Anybody who spends money in my shop spends money in D-Jays."

Coun. Grant Nordman (St. Charles) has been contacted by several concerned citizens about the situation, but said "at the end of the day it's a private matter."

Nordman said D-Jay's customers have no right to park on property that the restaurant doesn't own. "It's business 101. You get what you pay for," he said.

Nordman hasn't been approached by D-Jay's or Superior Management, and said if there's a dispute, they should resolve it privately, because it's not a city matter.

Jeff Halfdanson, a financial manager who's lived in Westwood for nearly 40 years and worked at the restaurant when he was a teenager, said, "You can't help but just look at it, shake your head and say, what are you thinking, what are you trying to accomplish?

"It's very hard to watch. It's very disturbing to the community," said Halfdanson. "To watch the faces of people that walk up to the restaurant, and their expressions, I've never seen anything like it."

He said that due to the stones and reduced parking, accessing the restaurant has become particularly hard for older customers.

"This is not acceptable behaviour," said Beverly Reeves, a concerned citizen who often goes to the restaurant for lunch with a group of retired teachers. "D-Jay's is an iconic restaurant in Winnipeg."

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 24, 2011 A3

Some don't understand what the fuss is about, so they sprinkled a little gravel onto the lot...

The design chosen reminds me of rock gardens at a typical off road park. Designed to be driven on.

'12JK-U Rubi /Dynatrac ProRock 44 / 4:88's / 2.5 Old Man Emu Susp Lift /F&R JKS Trac Bars /OME Long Travel Shocks /BilstienSS /TereFlex Control Arms /Coast1310 /Eng Oil, Evap, Rear Diff Plates, LoD Rock Sliders /Duratracs - 35's /BlackRock Wheels /Zenon Wheel Flares /DetachFlaps /LoD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier /K&N/Engo10,000S Winch/FloorLiners /Uniden 510

Last edited by JeepBobWinnipeg; 12-25-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Rock God

that look great why cant they make parking lots like that. thats kind of crappy on how they are going about that. but i think they should put a parking lot just like that in certian places that way we can all wheel while shopping, or on our way to eat at the restraunts

VE7 ESH
post #3 of 15 Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptkrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdog View Post
that look great why cant they make parking lots like that. thats kind of crappy on how they are going about that. but i think they should put a parking lot just like that in certian places that way we can all wheel while shopping, or on our way to eat at the restraunts
I invented crappy and I think that is just CRAPPY!

2011 JK SPORT
2014 Hemi Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
That's Daffy, not Donald you dillweed. Get your meat wackin' ducks straight!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Granite Guru

You guys should start having wing nights there!

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #5 of 15 Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Looks like BCC has easier parking
post #6 of 15 Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Granite Guru

Now thats mall crawlin!
post #7 of 15 Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Granite Guru

As I was reading, I was thinking that wouldnt stop jeepers. Then I saw the rest of the pictures and had tears from laughing. Sad story though...

Crankworx Jeep off-road coach
'11 JKUR (Stock-friendly)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubichronic View Post
You guys should start having wing nights there!
Yup, wings night is on Thursday at this restaurant.

We are currently expecting about 20 rigs.

It's going to be a gong show.

I intend on being there, but I'll keep a low profile.

'12JK-U Rubi /Dynatrac ProRock 44 / 4:88's / 2.5 Old Man Emu Susp Lift /F&R JKS Trac Bars /OME Long Travel Shocks /BilstienSS /TereFlex Control Arms /Coast1310 /Eng Oil, Evap, Rear Diff Plates, LoD Rock Sliders /Duratracs - 35's /BlackRock Wheels /Zenon Wheel Flares /DetachFlaps /LoD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier /K&N/Engo10,000S Winch/FloorLiners /Uniden 510
post #9 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Granite Guru

Nice. Looks like they just made a better parking lot for jeepers.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

They just made that restaurant the number one hot spot for jeeps in the area!
Hell I'd go the every day just for an excuse to play in the rock garden!
McDs had the kids play place now they have the jeep play place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
They just made that restaurant the number one hot spot for jeeps in the area!
Hell I'd go the every day just for an excuse to play in the rock garden!
McDs had the kids play place now they have the jeep play place!
This thing has actually gained a life of it's own. Local CTV did a story on it and the newspaper are going to be there again tomorrow when we go in for wings.

I hope this doesn't go wrong at any point, but hilarious as it is.

The restaraunt could never have bought publicity like this.

post #12 of 15 Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

awesome. i'm ready for a trip to winnipeg.

I love that you guys are actually benefitting from another person's asshole move. Hopefully the parking lot owners learn a lesson

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #13 of 15 Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg View Post
And this pic is awesome...

Makes me wish all parking lots had a rock pile at the end. Drug stores, grocery stores, mall parking lots...Drop the wife off to shop, head to the back of the lot, shift into 4 low, explore a bit of the rocks, then pop back in to 2 wheel pick her up and head home.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #14 of 15 Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg View Post
Some don't understand what the fuss is about, so they sprinkled a little gravel onto the lot...

The design chosen reminds me of rock gardens at a typical off road park. Designed to be driven on.

That is BRILLIANT! I want someone in my area to try that now! Isn't there some uppity property management annoyed with parking anywhere in Kansas City???
post #15 of 15 Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well wings night was a huge success. 37 people showed up and there were about a dozen rigs in the rocks.

Another article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...136424998.html

CTV news was there too, a story was run on national news, but the part where the trucks were shown was only on the local portion.

Despite being in very flat land, we are very used to rocks as there are places we wheel about an hour east of town that have decent rock challenges.

Hilarious the reaction this all got.

Owners of the restaraunt even bought us all a round.

Last edited by JeepBobWinnipeg; 12-30-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode