Warning: Handbrake & Rust Issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Warning: Handbrake & Rust Issue

Over the winter I noticed a squeak coming from my brakes - as if the pads were rusted to the rotors, except it took several stops to go away. I also noticed my fuel economy getting worse (got up to 22l/100km). I tracked it down to the handbrake shoes on the rear driver's side. Finally yesterday, while at the garage for somethings else, we took apart that parking brake assembly. The parking brake "actuator" (part #68003601AA) and the parking brake "lever" (part #68003591AA) were completely fused with rust. The only way to grease these (kinda properly) is to remove the brake assembly and rotor, and spray some grease on the lever/actuator assembly. The handbrake shoes were completely worn (on that side), so we changed both sides and greased that lever/actuator assembly (taking it apart and brushing off the rust, etc.) on both sides.

Something to keep in mind if/when you change your brake pads and/or rotors. ;-)

js.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the notice. I don't have the rust issues that you have up north but still something to be aware of.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Wheeler

Did you ever use your parking brake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

This exact issue happened to me last week. My driver's side rear caliper was seized. Had to replace calipers, pads, rotors and the parking brake components (all seized up). I hadn't used my parking brake for about a year. I'm now trying to get in the habit of using it so this won't happen again.

(btw - the stealership quoted me $1,575 + taxes. They said the front pads and rotors had to be replaced as well. There was nothing wrong with the front rotors, pads have about 30% left on them. )
post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
This exact issue happened to me last week. My driver's side rear caliper was seized. Had to replace calipers, pads, rotors and the parking brake components (all seized up). I hadn't used my parking brake for about a year. I'm now trying to get in the habit of using it so this won't happen again.

(btw - the stealership quoted me $1,575 + taxes. They said the front pads and rotors had to be replaced as well. There was nothing wrong with the front rotors, pads have about 30% left on them. )

Don't you just hate those bastards? I was quoted $1500.00 + parts to replace ball joints. How do they sleep at night?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Man View Post

Hm. It cost me about 3-4 hours work + about $30 for the new parking brake shoes/liners, so just shy of $300 total. That's at my local garage though -- where I can work on the truck with the mechanic. Never been to the dealership, nor would I want to, even if the truck was still under warranty...

js.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yah, needless to say, I didn't have the dealership do it. Saved myself over a grand.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to musicman

Dealerships suck ... I know .... I used to work at one. I quit because I was getting too stressed handing out quotes that I wouldnt do myself

Last edited by musicman; 04-23-2011 at 08:37 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

well this explains why my brakes squeek for the first couple stop signs in my neighborhood.

beach sand=bad
but the
beach=fun

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode