Banff in June? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-28-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Banff in June?

So, I'll be in Banff, Alberta this June over fathers day weekend on a work vacation (aka paid for trip!!!) and I'm trying to see if the locals can steer me into the right things to do while there. My wife and I arrive on a Thursday and leave on Tuesday. I know there are tourist traps and crappy guides for fishing, etc so I'm just looking for the real information about what to do and where to go. We are staying at the Banff Springs Hotel. I've seen alot of info on fly fishing the Bow River, Gondola trips up the mountain and such, but I'd rather ship my JK up there and get some wheelin in - except I know that's not happening. Any help would be much appreciated....

07 JK 2DR w/enough upgrades to have a serious good time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Granite Guru

Best to contact some of the local clubs, have no clue where to rent a lifted jeep and as for wheelin in Banff it's a national Park they get a little pissy when you desturb the wildlife there, but there are plenty of areas outside of the park!

A few club links

http://www.na4wda.org/

http://edmontonjeep.com/

http://www.calgaryjeep.com/

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Wheeler

just in case you were not aware, there is no off roading of any sort withing the National Park Boundries. I think this likely applies for fishing as well, but perhaps with a paid guide of some sort.

however, just outside of the park, closest being Canmore and Kanaskis country, I am unaware of any trails but I am sure there are some.

Next closest is towards Cochrane on the 1A highway. A nice drive on that road, out of Canmore towards Cochrane. Before you get to Cochrane there is a Forestry Trunk Road (43 I think). up this road is many off road area's that are great.

next Half way between Banff and Jasper is the David Thompson Highway. 45 minutes towards Rocky Mountain House is Nordegg. Here there is the northern part of the Forestry Trunk Road. Go south from the David Thompson Highyway to the North Saskatchewan River. Great wheeling here (to the East Only)

My advice would be to take the Forestry Trunk Road from the South End and take it all the way North to near Edson. you will find more wheeling along this route than you can do in a Month. Bring your camping gear and make a 3 day adventure of it. You won't regrett it.

in and around Banff area, tourist stuff. Johnston Canyon on the Bow Valley Trail is worth the walk. Lake Louise and there is another lake up a long mountain road that is even nicer (sorry forgot name of lake).

30 minutes from Banff is the 93 highway. go up that road about 15 minutes and there is a tourist stop... Painted Pots and another canyon walk. THis is pretty cool area.

if you have never done it. Doors and top off do the Banff Jasper Highway. amazing !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Wheeler

banff trails

As the other guys said there is no 4 wheel fun in the parks ,
yes in Canmore there is/was ? some guys that have some (Hummers )sorry,
They were taking people on the local trails . last I heard was they were guiding as well so if you could get your JK up there it might turn out all good .
In Calgary there are a few clubs that go out all the time , some research in to these might get you what you are looking for .
In this area there are tons of trails to go on being so close to the mountains .
Hope it all works out for you ,,,
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Granite Guru

he is not bringing his JK...
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Granite Guru

a little late...but some great area's to see with the wife:

Banff Hot springs is a no brainer.

Chateau Lake Louise is an awesome hotel on the lake! (45min west of Banff)

If you have a rental car take a drive on the old Highway 1A, great scenic drive basically from Banff to Lake Louise and you can even take it from Canmore to Calgary as it's a relaxing and very scenic drive.

You can do fishing just have to purchase a 1 day fishing licence for the National Park which I can't recall the price/day.

Gondi Rides in Lake Louise or Banff

more info on stuff you can do in Banff

http://www.banff.ca/activities-event...oric-sites.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode