Where to get gears done in Alberta? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Where to get gears done in Alberta?

Any Albertans out there have a suggestion on a GOOD shop/mechanic to do a gear swap? Preferably in Edmonton area.

Let me know...

Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Granite Guru

Here is a good start:
http://www.google.com/search?q=offro...ient=firefox-a

"And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #3 of 17 Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The Gear Center. http://www.gearcentre.com/

One of the most recommended places in Calgary. I assume it also holds true for Edmonton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Granite Guru

Depends on what you want done, A straight swap from stock to aftermarket gears or some custom work done? But my first stop would be Alberta Driveline on Yellowhead ph: 780-479-8744 Heard good things about them, and there is usually 2 or 3 highly moded jeeps out front.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)

Last edited by Iron; 08-20-2010 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the suggestions all....

Going to give Alberta Driveline a try....driven past their shop 100 times without ever really seeing them. They are ordering me up some 4.56 Yukon gears to spin my new 33" duratracs. We'll see how it goes.

Grant
post #6 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Wheeler

very interested to hear how it goes and works out for you. I am pushing 35 X 12.5's with a 2.5 coil lift and 1" body lift and it is a dog on the highway. City and trail is okay, although a bit doggish out of the hole till the revs are up in 4hi. 4lo is just fine.

was thinking of going to 4:56 also which is supposed to put you back to stock with 35's. so with 33's you should have a bit more torque and better highway power than stock.

shoot me a pm with pricing if you don't mind.

thanks
post #7 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Still getting the details worked out, but I will PM you when (if) they get it done. Having some problems getting 4.56 or 4.10 gears - all the suppliers are back-ordered. Supposed to hear back from them next week.

G
post #8 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Wheeler

just so you know

http://www.edmontonjeep.com/forum/vi...php?f=8&t=9698

but I would still reccomend going with 4:56 for when and I do mean when you get 35's or 37's. 4:10 would be fine for running 33's I think though.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_T View Post
Still getting the details worked out, but I will PM you when (if) they get it done. Having some problems getting 4.56 or 4.10 gears - all the suppliers are back-ordered. Supposed to hear back from them next week.

G
Have you tried stan out at Northridge4x4.ca in Panoka? He seems to have a lot of JK stuff in stock or a few day away!

Intrested in how this turns out, i'm on stock gears and 33's and looking at going to 35's but gears would be first.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
post #10 of 17 Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

G
The 4.56's are hard to come by these days, I think only superior makes/carries them. The 4.10's are even harder to come by, the only companies making them as far as I know are Alloy USA/Omix Ada and Dana/Spicer. Alloy USA 4.10's have been back ordered for the last 6 months now I tried everywhere to get a set, I was able to get my hands on some Dana/Spicer OEM JK 4.10's from just differentials in the U.S, www .justdifferentials.com (take out the space). Check them out, they carry a crapload of differential/driveline stuff like Lockers/Posi's/R&P's/Install Kits etc, if you end up ordering from them try to get in touch with Jeff Hervey, good guy and he knows his stuff.

P.S - Stan @ Northridge 4x4 is awesome to deal with and he has really good prices, sometimes even lower than whats on their website. However he can only get his hands on 4.88's, 5.13's and 5.38's, he was the first place I tried for 4.10's and 4.56's.

Last edited by Adam3612; 08-28-2010 at 05:22 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So, I finally made the decision to go with 4.10's. I test drove a 4.10 manual with 33's and really enjoyed the drivability over the 3.21's I have now. I think I do too much highway driving to go 4.56's and I REALLY have no current plans on larger than 33's. Alberta Driveline was also able to get some Dana/Spicer 4.10's as well, though it is costing me a few extra $$.

So, should have the new gears next week, and the new 33's shortly after that...will report back when I get em....

Grant
post #12 of 17 Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Granite Guru

Good to hear you have the ball rolling what time frame and pricing did alberta driveline give you for the re-gearing?

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
post #13 of 17 Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It took them about two weeks to get the gears in.....

They are being installed Tuesday next week....they say a minimum 1 full day install time...but potentially closer to two.

Going to be around $2k when all said and done I would guess. I'm getting killed on the gears because it was basically a one-off order, with full pop on the shipping, brokerage etc.

G
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, got the Jeep back this evening after getting the 4.10's installed (goodbye and good riddance to the 3.21s). I love it. Alberta Drive Line gave me a too brief report on the work simply saying the new Spicers went in and patterned up very well. No issues.

Took a test drive trying everything from 4Lo on an old dirt road to 70Mph on the highway. Much more torque, though I am still running the SRA's so the tires are a bit too small for a true test as of yet. New 33" duratracs are the next add-on, and should shave a touch off the RPM's.

Overall...a fantastic daily driver with the 6 speed. 1st gear still usable, 4th a nice city cruising gear for the many 60km/h roads we have, and 6th gear actually does something...and you can actually ACCELERATE in 6th now.

It is almost too short between gears now...so I am hoping the 33's just take the edge off without too much of the torque going at the same time.

I am craving to try something I need 4Lo for.....

Grant
post #15 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
and 6th gear actually does something...and you can actually ACCELERATE in 6th now.

It is almost too short between gears now...so I am hoping the 33's just take the edge off without too much of the torque going at the same time.

I am craving to try something I need 4Lo for.....

Grant
A usable Six gear? Sweet, I've been using my 6th as a crusing gear. 4.10's are on my shopping list for the spring.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
post #16 of 17 Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
A usable Six gear? Sweet, I've been using my 6th as a crusing gear. 4.10's are on my shopping list for the spring.
Yeah...no more trips to Calgary cruising at around 2000RPM any more....

6th gear at 110km/h was around 2600 RPM with the SRA's...which are a little less than 31". The duratracs are spec'd at 32.8", but I don't know what the actual measurement is. I am shooting for 2500RPM at 120km/h in 6th.

At this point, I am a LITTLE worried I didn't gear enough for larger tires...but we'll see. I didn't want to be highway driving at close to 3000RPM either. 4.56's were tempting for sure....but I really don't plan on going 35's. I should have the duratracs on in a couple weeks, so that will be the big test. I am sure the extra weight and size will take some of the edge off what I am enjoying now.

I wish there was somewhere to do some light trail/off-road nearby....I hear the Northern Alberta 4x4 Association has an agreement with a private land owner, so I am going to look into their group. http://www.na4wda.org/

Grant
post #17 of 17 Old 09-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I wish there was somewhere to do some light trail/off-road nearby....I hear the Northern Alberta 4x4 Association has an agreement with a private land owner, so I am going to look into their group. http://www.na4wda.org/

Grant
I was on their site last night, i've been meaning to join up and go to a gathering but have not found the spare time to do so yet! I hear they are a great group!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode