So the wife takes the Rubi in to the Steelership today. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So the wife takes the Rubi in to the Steelership today.

So the other day I'm driving along and can hear this grinding/creaking sound coming from the front end. So what now :crazyeyes:

So I get home and start the process of trouble shooting, start eliminating possible causes, Steering components, Ball Joints, CA's, DS and lastely U-Joints.

Good news is I find that the front passenger u-joint (you know where the axle meets the hub) is pooched. You can move it by hand, you can hear the needle bearings grinding and lastely it's clunking. No big deal right, the Rubi is just 2 yrs old with less then 60,000kms on her.

So we book her in to the local Steelership "Durham Dodge" in Oshawa. Keep in mind the Jeep has been lifted since it was 2 weeks old and has been in this dealership several times for warranty in the recent past.

So Chantal takes the Jeep over, before they will even takes the keys from Chantal they charge her $56.48 to investigate the issue (should have stopped right there)

So they take her money and not 5 min later they are telling her that the repair will not be covered under warranty due to the fact the Jeep has "EXTENSIVE MODIFICATIONS, OVER SIZED TIRES & SUSPENSION LIFT" Now remember our jeep has been to this dealership a number of time in it's current state.

"Ed" the Service Manager then proceeds to tell Chantal for $245.00 + tax (per side) they'll gladly replace both the passengers and drivers side (there is NO PLAY in the drivers side what so ever, so I'm not sure why you'd replace it... Other then to make a quick buck or 2)

Chantal proceeds to decline the work to which "Ed" now replys that they checked our Rear Brakes and found that they have less then 1mm on the pads. This is where it gets scary. (I'd love to know how they checked the rear pads without removing the tires and or pads from the brakes... ) Anyways Ed tells Chantal for $650.00 they will repace the breaks (damn $650 bucks the guy must be nutz do people really pay that sort of money for brakes)

Chantal calls me at this point and I in most likely (I know you shouldn't shoot the messenger) a not to friendly way tell her that the dude is full of S**T. I only just checked the pads and they were fine, more over I only replaced them less then 20,000kms ago... Chantal tells Ed this, to which he replys that the caliper must be seized (even though I can move it in and out without any problem.) So Chantal says to Ed so if the caliper is seized then that's covered under warranty right... He turns to her and says stirght faced "NO"... We no longer have any warranty EVERYTHING is now void, including our extended WARRANTY ... Now Chantal is freaking to say the least.

This is the best part a dude comes over and trys to tell her that because the Jeep is lifted and has the "big" tires the u-joints are on the wrong angle and the axles are wrong, and that's what has caused this to happen... "WHAT DID THIS GUY JUST FALL OFF THE BOAT" Thank god Chantal wasn't packing. I'd love to know how that is even possible, considering we took our jeep in for an alignment and nothing "NOTHING" was out... It's a solid axle front end D44, so how can that be wrong???? If you can answer that then you're smarter then this desk jockey.

So just before Chantal left.... (good thing she didn't drive thru the service centre) she asked, does it mean that if she hadn't of lifted the Jeep but added any other after market part/modification (i.e. Day Star dash panel, after market lights, nicer wheels and tires & etc) that would have also voided the warranty???? She was told flat out "YES" any mod made, including that of the 2 different MOPAR lifts you can order and have installed thru the StealerShip will void all warranties..

So in closing don't go to, talk about or even think about taking your jeep to Durham Dodge they are BUT HEADs, Jack Asses (I could go on and on)... Mostly just crooks.

Sorry about the length, I had to let you all know.

08 Rubi Unlimited
Just soo many things to list, with soo little time
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Granite Guru

This seems to be a recurring theme. I have bought 8 vehicles from our local dealer and have not have any issues. However, I also have not taken in any of my modded jeeps. It could be a new mandate from Chrysler. We need to keep posting these in case this is a trend. Sucks dude. My wife would have been calling me from jail for bail money. She would have went offfffff.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

They're not all the same.

My Jeep spent 6 days at the dealer, got it back monday morning this week.
They changed some "push rod shaft bearings" internal to the engine.
22h work, replaced my cracked manifold while they were at it...
All for free under warranty!!!

First time I went back in since it's lifted and tires and all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
They're not all the same.

My Jeep spent 6 days at the dealer, got it back monday morning this week.
They changed some "push rod shaft bearings" internal to the engine.
22h work, replaced my cracked manifold while they were at it...
All for free under warranty!!!

First time I went back in since it's lifted and tires and all...
Nicely done. Was that the cause of the ticking/clicking noise you thought were front ring gear?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Cyclist View Post
Nicely done. Was that the cause of the ticking/clicking noise you thought were front ring gear?
Heh. Yeah. It was the cam shaft bearings...
The clicking was the push rods hitting around since the cams were not pushing straight because of the burnt bearing...
Really weird.
Entire engine rebuild at 65000km...

At least now the clicking is gone, no more exhaust leak, and I got all my power back! (the valves were un-sync since the cam shaft was not straight...)

My theory for now is when I winched the F350, I was giving gas on N and maybe I gave it too much...?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Wheeler

I've got his phone number still! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
Heh. Yeah. It was the cam shaft bearings...
The clicking was the push rods hitting around since the cams were not pushing straight because of the burnt bearing...
Really weird.
Entire engine rebuild at 65000km...

At least now the clicking is gone, no more exhaust leak, and I got all my power back! (the valves were un-sync since the cam shaft was not straight...)

My theory for now is when I winched the F350, I was giving gas on N and maybe I gave it too much...?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachMitch View Post
It could be a new mandate from Chrysler.
There is NO mandate from Chrysler!
I work at a REAL Dealership and we ARE Jeep friendly.
Most dealers are scared of Audits and such.
If they do it right there is nothing they should be scared of.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode