Anyone been to Moab - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-07-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Anyone been to Moab

Hey folks I'm planning a trip to Moab next May and was wondering if anyone in this area have been there or are planning to go? I'm going with my wife and daughter so it would be cool to meet some likeminded keepers and maybe plan a a multi family trip. I'm planning well in advance so I can make nessesary upgrades. I live in chatham kent between windsor and london ontario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Don't know about the people in Ontario. But I know of some guys from bc that are going down in April

VE7 ESH
post #3 of 20 Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

Going in April. Hopefully Evdog joins us. Went last spring break as well.
This year April 11-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Better check the availability of trails there to go on before you go.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Granite Guru

Why would you need to check trail availability?
post #6 of 20 Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 AM

Tips for Moab

For trails in Moab: the Moab local 4Wheeler club has a terrific site of trail descriptions on http://www.rr4w.com. For Jeep Safari (March 27 - April 5 2015) use that website too, for trail closures. Some trails, on specific dates during Jeep Safari will be for the exclusive use of Jeep Safari participants.

Use http://www.discovermoab.com for lodging and campground planning.

Get a Latitude 40 Moab series maps. There is an East and West.
You can buy them when you get here or in advance from
http://www.cnha.org Moab information Center
http://www.backofbeyondbooks.com Back of Beyond Books
http://www.moabgear.com Gearheads

Thanks for choosing Moab!
help care for the region
post #7 of 20 Old 02-10-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm going middle of May next year, I know some are close for Easter jeep safari, already booked a room at red cliffs lodge, can't wait!
post #8 of 20 Old 03-24-2015, 05:36 AM

Going back for the third time in October with a bunch of Buddies. Like it was said, check what's going on when you plan to go. I hate big runs and sitting on the trails with 30 other rigs so I plan to go when there is little going on. Don't go it alone. Even if you have to change dates. It's not as much fun at all. But go with guys you either know or are cool. Nothing worse than wheeling with idiots. Buy a trail guide book and some maps. I would be lying if I said I haven't been looking for a job down there we love it so much.

We start planning a year out and start booking places to stay 6 months out. Depending on the date you plan to go, places go real fast. Be prepared. We went last May and got every sort of weather possible, snow, hail, heat, cold. We even had to escape the trails because of major flooding.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Returning this year but not till Sept. Love Moab !
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud manufacturers of TRAILMOUNTZ Top QUALITY aluminum mounts for LED lighting.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-31-2015, 02:26 AM

We start planning a year out and start booking places to stay 6 months out. Depending on the date you plan to go, places go real fast. Be prepared. We went last May and got every sort of weather possible, snow, hail, heat, cold. We even had to escape the trails because of major flooding.
Locksmith Calgary
Locksmith Edmonton
post #11 of 20 Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

Was there in April. Good times.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #12 of 20 Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A bunch of us from Alberta are going in September. It will be my first time. Can't wait to get there.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-21-2015, 06:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

We had a great time. We did 9 trails while we were there. Moab Rim, Hell's Revenge, Poison Spider, Steel Bender, Metal Masher, Top of the World, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike and Fins and Things.
Attached Images

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-21-2015, 10:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjpowers View Post
Hey folks I'm planning a trip to Moab next May and was wondering if anyone in this area have been there or are planning to go? I'm going with my wife and daughter so it would be cool to meet some likeminded keepers and maybe plan a a multi family trip. I'm planning well in advance so I can make nessesary upgrades. I live in chatham kent between windsor and london ontario.
One thing I'll definitely suggest picking up is the Funtreks book for Moab. It will make trail planning very easy as well as help navigate the trails while you're on them. Trails are grouped together by area and labeled by difficulty. My two cents, in your planning if you're planning to run multiple trails a day, try to pick trails nearby each other. Example would be running Fins n Things and Hells Revenge back to back since they're both located in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. Fun trails with a challenge we've run while there are fins n things, hells revenge, elephant hill, top of the world, poison spider Mesa, and Kane creek.

Funtreks Moab

If you're in Moab and looking for others to wheel with the City Market seems to be a meet up place in the mornings for people.

Also not sure if you're positioning this as a dedicated wheeling trip or a vacation, either way I would say make a point to try and fit in other activities while there like maybe river rafting, horseback riding visiting Dead Horse Point state park or Arches or Canyonlands National parks.

Not sure if you've thought about accommodations for your stay, if you can I'd suggest finding a rental property. VRBO.com has a ton of them and a friend has had good luck there. The two times we've been out there so far we've used moabdreams.com and gotten their condo which has been a nice value for the money. It's on the south end of town near the golf course and has pool access plus is spitting distance to the Steel Bender trail head.

Good luck and if you have any question feel free to PM me.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-16-2016, 03:57 AM
Wheeler

Great place! You must be aware though of a weather in an area. Sands over there are hard to deal with and i find it frustrating when tried to get to some particular places using Jeep.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
The two times we've been out there so far we've used moabdreams.com and gotten their condo which has been a nice value for the money. It's on the south end of town near the golf course and has pool access plus is spitting distance to the Steel Bender trail head.

Good luck and if you have any question feel free to PM me.
That's where we stayed when we went out a couple months ago. I agree, it worked out great. With four people to split the cost it was a similar price to a hotel, but we had a three bedroom condo with a two car attached garage and our own driveway. Worth it for sure.

Edit: Whoops, just realized this was a resurrected thread.

Last edited by BigTB; 12-16-2016 at 04:07 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-16-2016, 04:34 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
That's where we stayed when we went out a couple months ago. I agree, it worked out great. With four people to split the cost it was a similar price to a hotel, but we had a three bedroom condo with a two car attached garage and our own driveway. Worth it for sure.

Edit: Whoops, just realized this was a resurrected thread.
I`m in it What is the price of that Condo? Last time i`ve stayed in Comfort Suites. It was okay but i want to find smth less expensive or with better service

post #18 of 20 Old 12-16-2016, 06:07 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoaps View Post
I`m in it What is the price of that Condo? Last time i`ve stayed in Comfort Suites. It was okay but i want to find smth less expensive or with better service
Split four ways it was around $320 (US) per person for four nights. Full kitchen, propane grill on the patio, two full bathrooms, street parking for trailers, etc. Pretty cool option vs. a hotel. At the time, a hotel would have been a only a bit cheaper because we would have wanted two rooms. Would have cost something like $250 per person for a hotel. The extra $70 per person seemed worth it.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Split four ways it was around $320 (US) per person for four nights. Full kitchen, propane grill on the patio, two full bathrooms, street parking for trailers, etc. Pretty cool option vs. a hotel. At the time, a hotel would have been a only a bit cheaper because we would have wanted two rooms. Would have cost something like $250 per person for a hotel. The extra $70 per person seemed worth it.
Yeah! Not bad. Next time i will try to stay there. Nice option considering a family vacation

post #20 of 20 Old 12-20-2016, 10:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoaps View Post
Yeah! Not bad. Next time i will try to stay there. Nice option considering a family vacation
Our first stab at renting versus hotel was in Moab and was the best choice we made. Factoring in the extra space, creature comforts and amenities of home for a marginal difference over a hotel it's a no brainer.

There are lots rental options out there, you just gotta search for the right deal for you.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode