JKOwners Forum banner

Blacksheep's M416 Trailer Project

14K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  Totallymetal 
#1 · (Edited)
I couldn't resist making a thread for the trailer. It's my new project and hey - I'm excited about it. It will take some time but as I progress I'll update here.

I have done a brief assessment of the trailer now and the only problem I see is the bed rust. There are some small spots in the bed that have rusted through. I am debating patching or replacing the bed at this point. Otherwise, everything is fine.

In the end, I am going to paint it black (like my jeep) and change the lighting over to recessed LED housings. The tires and wheels will probably be left the same + paint. I like the look for now and don't feel compelled to make them different. Although, I did see a sweet deal on some 38" mud tires down the road from me..

Anyway, heres the beginning:

My thought is to cut the bed out, leaving an inch or so to mount a new bed to - or to simply cut out the few bad spots. cant decide right now. This pic is before i scraped and sanded all of the rust out. that has been done now.

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
#33 · (Edited)
hey thanks for view and comments so far guys - its getting close. i found the tail lights..

this is the only place they will mount without making some sort of bracket - which i can do. what do you guys think of this location? if im convinced the lights would look better somewhere else...i may have to make something up.

anyway, currently theyre taped to see what it would look like.

#34 ·
Well until i figure out if and where ill mount the tail-lights - this will be the end of my pic posts unless anyone wants to see something in particular. enjoy! and thanks again everyone for the tips and advice along the way...

Now I just need some decal ideas from venom to make it a zombie-killing trailer perhaps.

sorry, getting dark.

Build list:

Grade 8 bolts, washers, nuts
High-build primer
Semi-flat Dupli-color black
Sheet metal
Herculiner
Lots of sandpaper
Rubber coating spray
Bondo

Steps: in no particular order

1. Disassemble trailer to frame
2. Descale rust, sand all metal
3. Prime with anti-rust primer and rubber-coat frame
4. Install rubber washers at frame/tub contact points
5. Patch rusty tub floor with sheet metal
6. Rubberize tub bottom
7. Hammer or compress dents on body
8. Bondo dented/pitted metal that cant be hammered or compressed
9. Prime tub, apply herculiner, apply semi-flat black to outside of tub
10. Install grade 8 hardware
11. Scratch your head and figure out where to put brake lights.
*12. Hook up trailer for no purpose other than to go get gas and skoal mint chew at gas station
**13. sit in garage and look at trailer driveway with dog - while drinking a lot of beers.

#36 · (Edited)
Looking good BlackSheep. :bounce: The tail lights are a big improvement over the LED's.....:beer::beer:

If you are going to mount the tail lights on the fenders I would make a wedge to put behind them so they set vertical. :smokin:

#39 · (Edited)
Your right, every trailer needs a bottle opener. I mounted mying on my cable box that mounts to the front of the trailer........Would love to find a Jeep bottle opener. But have never come across one.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.