JKOwners Forum banner

2wd to 4wd Major Jeep build-up

97K views 180 replies 60 participants last post by  jaker 
#1 ·
The Project:
Take a 2wd, yes a 2wd 4 door Jeep JK and turn it into a 4wd. Not just any 4 wheel drive but a head turning, 40" Tire'd, Dana 60'd, KING Coil-over'd JK using all bolt on components. And, since a project like this needs a theme. The theme and the Projects name will be the "Tacticle Assault JK"

Prefix: I need help! Not with the Build, but with Posting on a forum. I suck at it, so please help as I lack posting etiquette and I am lousy at posting pics etc.

The Vehicle:
2007 2 wheel drive 4 door Wrangler JK (X-model)

I purchased this vehicle used with 50K miles on it. Did this for a few reasons:
1) Low purchase price. Has high miles for a 2 year old vehicle and 2 wheel drives are cheaper that a 4wd.

2) Hell, I want to put on some KOOL parts so keeping the initial purchase price low will let me do this.

3) To show just how easy it is to make a 2wd into a 4wd. (I've read many posts where the owner of a 2wd has asked what it would take and the responses have been to trade in the 2wd on the purchase of a 4wd)

4) The use of Bolt on Parts as apposed to Custom Components: Custom fabrication is not within the relm of everyone, but a bit of cutting and drilling to make off the shelf components fit a JK is.

4) Hell, I want to put on some KOOL parts so keeping the initial purchase price low will let me do this.

The project name- "Tactical Assault JK"
Why not.... gotta have some fun with a build like this.

The build list:

Axles:
Currie Rock Jock hi pinion Dana 60’s front and back
ARB’s Front and Back
5:38 Gears

Wheels:
KMC XD Spy Wheels 20 x 9 6 on 5.5
Trailready Beadlocks

Tires:
Toyo Open Country MT 40” x 15.5” x 20”
(Round ones- 'cause they roll better than the Square ones)

Suspension:
Teraflex Long arm
King Coilovers front and back
Currie Anti-Rocks front and back

Drive Shafts:
1350 Drive shafts with 1350 CV’s

T-Case:
T-Case NV241J OR Rock Case

Front Bumper:
Rockhard4x4 Stubbie

Recovery:
Warn Winch Dual Force
Synthetic line
ARB straps etc.
Irish Whiskey - (Midicinal purposes only)

Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier:
Rockhard4x4

Rocker Guards:
Rockhard4x4

Skid plates:
Full line-up of Rockhard4x4
Gas / Oil / Trans / Evap

Exterior:
On Board Air
Kilby tank and fittings
Light Guards
Grill

Communication:
Cobra CB 75 wx
Global Star Sat Phone

Navigation:
Lowrance Global Map GPS HDS-5m
On board Rock Camera’s front and rear
My eyes ,,, and ears for hearing the rocks my eyes didn't see

Interior:
ARB Fridge Freezer
Fridge Slide
Transit Cover
Sports Cage-Rockhard4x4
Custom Seat Upholstery
Heated seats.

Lighting:
Acro HID’s (2 Floods-front bumper/ 2 Driving-windshield)
PIAA fog on rear

Other items:
A host of Roto Pax...Hummm.... more one these to follow.

And more… I'm sure I am forgetting some stuff! :shaking:

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice list of mods.....I think you are doing what most of us have thought about doing. Quite honestly I was thinking along the same lines for my next build. Good on you for not buying parts that you are gonna wind up replacing. With all that said, I just want to say......

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS:D

#5 ·
Three things:
1. Instead of the stock transfer case, put in an Atlas 4spd. It's a direct bolt in and increases your capability exponentially. I'll even advise the 1.0, 2.0. 2.77, 5.44. The 10.2 you'd never use. Just make sure to get the CABLE shifter with it.

2.Relocate your evap instead of skidding it. That'll give you more room to play with your exhaust and one less thing to get hung up on. Of course then you'll have to worry about voiding your warranty. :D

3 Double up on the whiskey. I recommend Tullamore Dew or Bushmill's.

#21 ·
Yeah, that's what I said...

I thought this project was going to be done by an individual in his garage; not a professional offroad shop. Ringer. :thefinger:

It should be fun to watch, regardless.

#15 ·
#23 ·
Ok, so I saw the thread on the Rhino lined tub on the JK. I really like the way it looked so I figured, since I already have all the seats out. Now would be the best time to Rhino Line it. So I pulled the carpets, seat belts, the plastics and the wiring hold-downs out.

Got it set for lining on Thursday.

#24 ·
Great thread. I'll be checking often.

Just a thought, but if one of your objectives is to show that this can be done, you might also want to give folks an idea of the costs. Updating rough numbers in your original post would be great as they will allow folks to really decide if this is a route they can go. Also, there are plenty of us that think we should have gone this route, and it will give us a chance to kick ourselves (again) when you finish this kick a$$ build for less than we are still paying on the Rubi:pissed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.