JKOwners Forum banner

Diff Bolt Busted. Need Advice.

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  austinjeepr 
#1 ·
I was installing a pair of Riddler covers/lube locker gaskets yesterday. The lube locker instructions specifically say to torque to 35 ft-lbs. I've been told that the included hardware is weak and that it should replaced with grade 8's. I did that.

I was slowing upping my torque tightening with the recommended pattern, and "crack", I broke a Grade 8 at 30 ft-lbs on the lower hole on my rear D44.

So, I went down to O'rielly's and got a couple bolt extractors and headed home. I first tried to drill it out with a 3/16" bit, and it broke off flush in the bolt. Tried a 1/4" bit and it broke, too, but fell out. On the second 1/4" bit, I got a nice bore into the bolt and tried the recommended extractor for that size. My luck, that one busted also.

I know I was a little aggressive with the first bit that broke, but I was very gentle with the others. I'm at a loss now. What do I do. I don't have access to heat or a welder. I'm wondering if I need to take it to a shop at this point.

Also, there's a shop about 3/4" mile from my house. Do you think it would be okay to drive that far with only the oil left over in the diff after the flush? I don't want to waste oil if it'll have to be replaced for a short trip.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't drive at all without the proper amount of fluid in the diff. The oil also lubes the outer axle bearings.
The new oil you put in for the drive to the shop will still be ok if you drain it into a clean container.

Was the bolt too long? They are more apt to twist off if the bolt bottoms out before the head makes contact.

#4 ·
I'm surprised that bolt won't come out since tightening to the cover is what broke it and it shouldn't be bottoming out in the hole on the diff side.

Did you take the cover off back off and see if there is a little nub of the bolt sticking out? I've done the same and was able to unscrew the remaining bolt with my fingers.

I've seen people drive off trails with just the residue fluid on the gears and been fine. I'd run 3/4 of a mile, maybe put a cup in there to splash around.

FWIW the bolt I snapped was the same one and I was following the same lube locker instructions. I just tightened them up nice and tight by my gut feel if that makes sense and nothing is leaking. Use some thread locker too.

#5 ·
Post a picture of what it looks like. Is the bolt completely flush? The threads shouldn't be under much tension since the head of the bolt broke off. You'd be amazed what an accurate smack with a punch going counter-clockwise will work loose.

x2 on gut torquing/calibrated elbow torquing.

#10 · (Edited)
There's not enough to get on them with pliers. Maybe have to drill and tap. It's a little off center. What do you think?

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just make it worse. It'd be nice if I could just weld something to it to get some more leverage. I'm pissed. I think I'm going to have to get it to the shop down the road to have it done right.

#11 ·
i would guess it was cross threaded and that is what caused the break so you will most likely need to drill and retap anyway. you can drill bigger and use a heli coil as well if you want to keep it the same size bolt. that is what i would do.

#15 ·
No luck. It seemed like it threaded in easy. The other bolts were tightened to the same torque without any issues. I broke off the tip of a bit along with part of an extractor in there, too. I ended up finishing it with the remaining bolts and filled with some cheap oil. No leaks for now. I'll be taking it to someone this week that knows what they're doing. I'm pretty depressed about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.