JKOwners Forum banner

WTF were you/they thinking modifications!!!

6K views 58 replies 43 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
So my question is. If you have seen any WTF were you thinking modifications or you have done sometying to your jk that you regretrd and wanna share please do. I think this will turn into something good.

I got the idea from seeing hummer stickers and hood applica vent on a jk 4 Dr 2wd.

please post pictures if you can.

#44 ·
Anything by Rough Country- pure unadulterated shit, pure and simple. No quality control (the name implies there was quality there to begin with, which there isn't), no R&D- just shit.

Delta Quadbar headlights- awful beam dispersion, only slightly improved reach, crappy color. Stock with new bulbs would've probably been better. Now I'm living with them, and they suck.

Bestop bikini top with wraparound rear window. Leaked, even with the "upgraded" rear window. The duster rear deck cover was tits, though- that gets a big thumbs up- noticably improved fuel economy vs. open rear, actually covered shit back there, and didn't leak.

Bestop (see a pattern?) element tube doors, skins, uppers- leaked constantly- not badly, but just enough. Always rattled, never fit quite right. Always needed something. If I wanted that kind of headache, I have a wife already, damnit! :)

Mopar steelies- steelies rock, but these are $$$, and run the same offset/sizing as OEM, so therefore, they suck. Damnit.

I'm SURE I'll think of others- Mark W.

#47 ·
Here's my .02 worth:

1. Gibson headers (had to put the engine back to stock)
2. Cold Air Intake (had to put the engine back to stock)
3. 16" wheels...although I dont plan on going bigger than 35s so I should be okay.
4. wheel spacers....just spend the $200 toward a set of proper spaced wheels
5. Smittybuilt SideArmors...although nice for getting in and out, dont care for the flex of them due to body mounts!
6. Cooper Discoverer STT Mud Terrains...great if you dont live somewhere hot...the tires are soft and chunk easy.
7. The mirror relocation mounts...anything other than the Di-Techs for factory mirrors doesnt let you see the right side.
8. Cobra 75CB...been a pain in the butt since I got it...my Uniden was much better!

#50 ·
Here's my .02 worth:
4. wheel spacers....just spend the $200 toward a set of proper spaced wheels
and I gotta really disagree with you on this one Kev.

there isn't a damn thing wrong with running good, properly installed spacers.
if you are happy with the stock wheels - and theres nothing wrong with them, then spacers WORK.
I ran my spiderttrax for 4 freakin years, over 50K miles and wheeled the crap out of them.
I installed them on my jeep the first week I had it.
32"s for a year and 35"s the rest of the time and had ZERO problems.

They'd still be on there now if I hadnt switched to TWF beadlocks and 37" goodyears cheaper than a set of 37" mud grapplers was gonna cost me for the stock wheels.

I would not hesitate to run spidertrax again in the future.

#55 ·
ha..my bad. i just saw you post "I just went thru a shit of zip ties because other jeep guys wanted to see the Hemi conversion" and was scratchin my head for a second.

#57 ·
1 Cold Air intake (lasted a few weeks and I took it off)

2 Mopar winch front bumper (still on, can't afford to replace yet) bent and broken welds, I had to staighten it to get the winch on when it was new.

3 Pure Jeep rear bumper (still on,same reason as above) first the latch to hold it open broke, it rattles like nothing I've ever heard, and now 3 years old the powder coating is peeling.

#58 ·
I'm in the 33's club... wish I would have spend the dough to buy some 35's. You can't even tell the 33 is any bigger than stock, plus its a pain in the ass to balance...

Oh, and Rugged Ridge, Headlight trim. Don't know if I like it to much, only 40$ for the set. But don't no... maybe with a new bumper it will tie together...

#59 ·
I will never again Delta headlights, I ended up just upgrading them and I had problems with moisture...
I will never again buy a Rubicon Express lift for a ton of reason...
The air hose that comes with the WARN power plant is too short for a 4 door.
I will never again buy a via air tank... It was near impossible to get the fittings in.
I wont buy another set of smitty sliders for a 4 door they should have 3 mounts although seem to hold up ok to moderate wheeling. On a 2 door they work great!
I wont buy another set of GoodYear Kevlar MTR's... They do not balance as well as others not to mention they don't seem to do as well as other MTR's in the snow....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.