JKOwners Forum banner

question about bigger tires and stock axles

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jeeperjkj 
#1 ·
So i want to run 37s. I know im supposed to beef up my axles.... but in the mean time before i can mod the axles, are there any dangers on road to bust up an axle? like mashing a pothole on the highway at like 65mph? or is most of the damage going to be done off road?

#4 ·
Go for it!!! :bounce: I've put over 7K lifted miles on my 2011 Rubi Unlimited W/ an auto trans, stock gears/axels and I'm running 40" MTR's... :bounce: Been to a few off road parks, done a bunch of gas line running ( hill climbing ) and snow wheeling. The Jeeps got 11,500 total miles on it. I'm doing the 60's this winter with new wheels and PSC. I've had it up to 97mph on gps but I usually run it 65-75 and average 11mpg. :beer:

#6 ·
Weak point number one on the front axles of both Rubicon (D44) and the rest (D30) are the outer C's and welded on gussets help eliminating that weakness.
Next weak point are the axle tubes which applies to both D44 and D30 again (axle tubes and C's are identical on D30 and D44). There are a few different ways to reinforce the axle tubes with the simplistic one being sleeves in the axle tubes.
If you are doing some wheelin that you may also want to consider upgrading your D30 axle shafts to RCV's or Chromoly shafts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.