JKOwners Forum banner

getting the JK road worthy again!

14K views 88 replies 15 participants last post by  e-jeep 
#1 · (Edited)
Story:
I bought my JK new back in '07 it's an unlimited X. She now has 115,000 miles, with lots and lots of wheeling under her belt. It's a pretty run of the mill jeep w/ lift, 35's, winch bumper, winch, sliders.... I stopped wheeling this jeep May of '09 (thats when I finished my TJ crawler). Well, all the wheeling has taken a toll on the old gal and about a year ago I retired her from my d/d and started just using her as a weekender. The problems this jeep has now is enough to make me feel unsafe driving it at highway speeds and far distances. My goals now are to make the jeep road worthy again, and make it fun and safe to take on a road trip that is coming up in August (2400 miles round trip).

Problems:
serious front axle issues; ball joints, possible bent housing, and wallered out trackbar bracket(this is a re-inforced one that I welded on).
rear axle floats from side to side while going down the road.
constant death wobble (probably has to do with the front axle).
lots of creaks and clatters going down the road.
bushings out on the entire suspension.
pass side axle shaft has egged yoke on the outer.
top is ruined.
drivers seat has a bad tear.
is a gutless turd that gets bad mpg.
rear shocks are blown out.
front drive shaft is destroyed(this is the second oem).
sway bar discos are pretty f-d up

My hopes as a newb to this site is to get tips and advice on repairs required to fix the problems above(i figured this site probably has some guys that have broken a JK before since this site is tied to pirate). I'm doing 95% of the work myself, which is part of owning a jeep (I built my crawler with a couple friends in my shop). I am just hoping that maybe some of you experienced the same issues as I did. I was a member on JK-Forum since the beginning, but haven't posted on there in a long time, cuz it kinda turned into a whos jeep has the most useless junk contest over there......

Parts on order:
Bestop Treck top NX,
Bilstein 5100 shocks for rear,

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing I would address is the front axle: shafts (either new or see if somebody has some stock spares they'll sell you), new Poly Performance ball joints, and replace the track bar brackets on the frame and axle.

Then tackle replacing all the bushings or just getting some new control arms.

#4 ·
I posted my last post before I saw this one.

Once I find out if my axle is bad or not, I plan to do just that.
I'm designing my new track bar brackets right now, which hopefully when I get these designed and built they will withstand the tests of time.

#3 ·
The first real obstacle on my to do list is the front axle. I'm not really sure if the housing is bent, but the balljoints are only about a year old w/ lest than 10k miles and one light wheeling trip on them. yet the tires are still leaning in at the top. which makes me wonder if the c's are bent. I have had my jeep in a front end shop and they spect it and said the balljoints are good (this was about 6 months ago. I have one new wheel bearing on the driver side.

I would like to find a complete d30 used that some one took out of theirs and slap it under mine. How ever, I have realized in the last week that they go super fast and if they haven't sold it's cuz they are probably not much better than mine.

#5 ·
I just got back from the alignment shop and this is what the report shows....

Camber: Left-1.2 right- 1.6

toe: Left--1.74* right- -1.94*

Camber specs for my jeep are supposed to be.....

camber: left- -.6 to .1 right- same as left

toe: left- .009 to .12 right- same as left

In the report they said my driver side upper and lower balljoints are slightly loose. Also, that the front axle is most likely bent due to the extreme camber angles!

So long story short, my front axle is junk! Time to hunt for a d30 w/ 4.10 gears or maybe 4.88's and I'll regear the rear to match......

#6 ·
just thinking out loud here but if you lifted it and don't have adjustable control arms your inner c's are not orientated in the right spot causing your camber to be out of spec.

#10 ·
Thanks to y'alls advice I'm going to plumb bob the axle tonight and get exact measurments to find out if it's bent or not.

As far as upgrading from the turdy... I thought about it, but I dont really feel it's necessary. I have a jeep with 2 steering rockwells, and the need to make this one beefier isn't really there.

#12 ·
I'm a picture posting whore..........

My JK(with the old rims and tires) pulling my crawler.... Only for fun... not actual tow rig...lol

This was my JK less than a week old....

Just giving an idea, I wasn't easy on her.....

How she looks today, except the top has no windows...

My Crawler: '99 TJ, steering rocks, 4 link, king triple stage coil overs, teralow, and lots and lots of tubing....

and me....

and last... my CJ-5 that started it all.... I've had it since I was 14...

days after I got it...

LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK....... AND THIS........

#15 ·
Thanks...

Yup, that's at BMRA. I've been going there for about 5 or 6 years now. It's a fun park, I haven't missed a Mega Run in 5 years. Although, some of the people that were running the event pissed me off this year, so I dont know if I'll be back.

#16 ·
Well, after doing a crap load of measurements, it looks like I bent my front axle where the C's mount to the axle tube. So, the hunt for a new housing is on.

While waiting on finding my new front axle I'm going to go a head and order some other parts. I think I am going to order my control arms, and just do away with the factory control arms. I think I'm going to go with WP lowers and currie uppers. I'm not doing currie lowers cuz that would run me about $1200 in control arms.... :shaking:.

I'm also going to order my new trackbars today. It will be TeraFlex front and rear. I already have a teraflex in front, but it's pretty much worn out. The rear, I can't remember what brand it is.....

I'm prolly going to order my sway bar disco's as well.....

#17 ·
I just ordered some stuff from Krawloff-road.com. Jason over there made me a good deal on some items and is very friendly to deal with and has been super fast at replying to my e-mails. I can't wait to get my stuff in the mail and do more business with him in the future.

List of items I bought:

RK02015 - RK JK High Clearance Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms

RK02020 - RK JK Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms

RK02022 - RK JK High Clearance Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms

RK02028 - RK JK Double Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms

RK02024 - RK JK 2" to 4" Double Adjustable Front Track Bar

RKJKC0001 - RK JK Bomb Proof Rear Double Adjustable Track Bar and Bracket

#18 ·
I'm getting a D30 housing off of one of the members from JKO(redx 08). He made me a sweet deal and I'm looking forward to getting the housing! The list of crap I need is getting smaller! I'm probably done spending money this week, but next week I'll be right back on it!

#23 ·
I didn't do much last week cuz I had my brother and my 2 sisters down from out of state along with the 7 nieces and nephews... It was a great week!!

But back on target now. My axle came in Thursday, I got it all cleaned up and painted, and got the old one off of my jeep. Now all I need is the parts from Krawloffroad and I will have my jeep put back together.

I am still going to need some parts such as: sway bark disco's, shocks, seat covers, and what ever else that I'm not thinking of.....

Special thanks to redX08 for hooking me up with the housing..... I appreciate it!

Here is some pics of a D30 getting dolled up... Sand blasted it and painted it... prolly more work than a d30 should ever get, but oh well.....lol

#28 ·
My RK control arms and trackbars are going to be here around noon today! I am super stoked! I'm going to get some good installation pics of everything, and will post em.

I am also going to focus on cutting my fenders this week. I really want to do some aftermarket fenders, but with all the crap I have to buy right now for the jeep I'm not too concerned about fender flares....

I am seriously considering selling my wheels and tires off of the jeep and buying a set of 16.5x10 ProComp steelies and running a set of 37" MTR's. Does anyone on here run them? I have decided to re-gear my axles to 5.13's and run some 37's but I dont want anything super aggressive and these seem to look good and fit my pocket book good! The rims wont be stock for long either, I will make some rock rings for them with cool designs(I designed all of my buddies beadlocks and rock rings), so they wont just be another set of black steelies....

#30 ·
Great! I was waiting for a post here saying that they came in!

We can help with the D30. Gussests are a great idea while it is out. You can even do sleeves as well!

Cutting the fends is easy and saves you a ton of cash! We did ours and it was easy. Just lay down the tape to give you a guide on what you want. Simple as that! Be carefull when taking them off though. The fender clips like to come off in pieces! You can bolt them back on though if you would like.

-Jason

#31 ·
All of my suspension parts are here, I just got back to the office and they have been here since 12:00.... I'm ready, one hour of work left then I get to go home and install some new goodies! Thanks to Jason at Krawl Off Road for getting me a good deal on all the RK control arms and trackbars! I'm hoping to order some more goodies tomorrow!

As far as the C-gussets go, I will probably do them when I put the gears in the axle. For now I am just trying to get this thing put back together.

#33 · (Edited)
I didn't get a lot done last night, I ended up playing on our rock pile with my rock crawler. How ever we did get the control arms mounted and the front axle slid up under the jeep.

As far as a wright up on the parts and install, there isn't much of one needed! Rock Krawler has perfected their installation instructions and leaves you with no un-expected twists! If it says it's simple, it's simple and if it says i'ts going to be a pita then expect it to be a pita! They even give you the pre-set lengths(it even lists the lengths by the amount of lift on your rig) to set all your components :beer: :beer: That is like having a cheat sheat right in front of you!!! So far I am giving Rock Krawler a 10 out of 10 and I am looking forward to installing the rest of it!

It is a pretty cut and dry install, how ever the passenger side upper control arm bolt on the frame is going to have to be cut so make sure you have access to some sort of cutting tool.

This gives you an idea of how tight the upper control arm is tucked in there! You can't tell by the pic, but that is only about a 3/8" - 1/2" gap between the end of the new bolt(supplied with by RK) and the exhaust.

#34 ·
I haven't gotten anything new done on my JK... I had to take my focus off of it last week to get my crawler ready for a day trip to a mud bog. I didn't do any mudding, but I did play in a creek on the back side of the property. Lot's of old chevy's........ Starting tomorrow I will be back to work on my JK. I still have tons to do, and I'm rapidly approaching my early august deadline... I still have lots of things to order as well!

#35 · (Edited)
I haven't done much to it this week, other than finish the front control arms & trackbar and cut the driverside front fender(going to cut the rest Sunday).

I didn't get to order my gears this week (had to pay for 2 flights to indiana), how ever, I did order my new smitty bilt seat covers and RK sway bar disco's. I ordered both from Jason at Krawl Off Road, he is awesome to deal with, and has earned pretty much all my business on this re-build.

Hopefully next week will be better and I can order my gears and possibly my new wheels! :bounce:

#36 · (Edited)
Just called the local Oriely's and ordered some new rotors and pads for my JK. I've gone this far might as well put new brakes on it.

I have officially bailed on the hopes of driving this jeep on the trip coming up. I thought I would have enought time and money to get it done in time, but it didn't happen. I paid for the air fair last night. I'm stll going to finish this jeep all the way through though!

Left on my to get list:

5.13 gears w/ master install kits,
Shocks,
new front springs ( maybe the rears as well, have to wait till I get my 37's),
(5) 37" military tires,
(5) 16.5 x 8 Pro-Comp steelies that I will customize into some sweet steelies!
new front drive shaft(I might entertain going used for now, but would like to get a new one in the future),
and replace the long side front axle shaft assembly (used or new chromolly, not sure which I want to do yet, I guess if I find a good used one I will go that route)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.