JKOwners Forum banner

Swaybar options??

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  blownJK 
#1 ·
I am in need of some help/advice? Let me give you the specs, if I leave something out, just say and I will try and answer it. I have a 08 JK unlimited rubi with a 6" LCG long arm suspension and 38X14.5X17 wheels. I am currently running the TeraFlex Dual Rate swaybar. The problem I am having is the front passenger tire is rubbing on the disconnect knob when turning driver/left. When this happens it causes the disconnect to disengage. I do not want to buy new tires and Teraflex has been kind enough to refund me the $$$. I have been looking around for a replacement of the Teraflex swaybar. I have looked at the Antirock and thats not an option because there is not an option of engage and disengaged. So, let me hear the options??

#2 ·
Get wheels with less backspace (3.25" maybe) or add some spacers (spidertrax) to push the wheels out farther. Unless you are rubbing heavily then that should address your problem.

#5 ·
Quick disconnects.

On my JK I am currently running the Currie product, but originally ran the Rubi motor.

The Rubi motor was prone to user error (I forget to disconnect), and in a spot that I was never comfortable with... plus just one more electronic thing to fail.

The Currie product ROBS you of down travel. I disconnected the last time on the trail and easily saw four plus inches of down travel. That is a HUGE difference.

What I will be doing now is disconnecting. I have drilled out a hole in the bottom bolt for the anti-rocks and have ditched the nut for a cotter pin. This way on hardball, fire roads, and when I forget... I can keep the anti-rock working and when I play, I can disconnect. Seems like a good compromise to me.

#7 ·
Update. Here are a couple of pics to illustrate the difference between disconnected and a Currie AntiRock (the Mopar e-Disco had similar droop that I saw with the Currie). The pics aren't from the same spot, but I think both are showing max (or close to it) droop.

ANTI-ROCK:

DISCONNECTED:

Some things to note:
Lift: Currie 4" Short Arm.
AntiRocks: Using the links that came with the lift kit and parallel at even.
Sliders: PSC in connected pic, EVO in disconnected pic. EVOs sit ~3" lower.

So... what are we seeing here. Taking into consideration the new and old sliders as a reference, I believe I am seeing 4+ inches of additional usable droop in my front. That is HUGE on the trail.

Maybe I should try discoing the rear?

#8 ·
(the Mopar e-Disco had similar droop that I saw with the Currie).
how could the rubi disco limit your droop?
when disco'd the 2 halves free spin from eachother

only possibility I could think of may be you had too short of links on the mopar and were running out of length with the shorter trailing arms of the mopar and the longer trailing arms on the currie are letting it droop more

if you are set up with a lot of droop, you need to run longer links than you think you do on the rubi bar because of the relatively short trailing arms - parallel to the ground doesn't cut it, need a few inches up up sweep on the bar when sitting flat

#14 ·
No real difference.... unless maybe, you drive your heep like a race car.

I was just reporting my findings, with photographic proof. Maybe I had my sway bar incorrectly adjusted? But if I did... it was to Currie's spec with their lift and sway.

I think my next trip, I'll have to try this with the rear and see if I get the same result DD is seeing.

#15 ·
It's all about controlled droop. That's the thing with the antirock. On some setups it really doesn't help you.

HOWEVER, if you're unseating your coils, you're really not getting any effective traction from that wheel at that point. YOu'll get some, don't get me wrong. But when you then transfer the weight of your rig back over to the unseated coil that coil has to then absorb not only the weight of the rig but the momentum that's built back up by the theight transfering unchecked.

I also haven't drankt he currie koolaid, but i do have one sitting here for my big jeep. I just haven't gotten around to fabbing it up yet.

My favorite setup is what jeepnick has on his rig. it's the oro swayloc. it's pretty neat. locked it's like a high performance sway bar, unlocked you get a soft rate sway bar.

At rock run it kept his rig a lot more level than disconnecting did. Does it limit his travel? probably. But it keeps the jeep front violently transfering weight back and forth. I thought it rode MUCH better with the new sway bar. It felt like a ship at sea with the old one just disconnected.

Take that for what it's worth. I run no sway bars on my TJ with full coilovers and it flexes over 1300 on the RTI ramp. but i also don't unseat coils with coilovers.

i run a rear sway bar and disconnected front on the trail in my JK. That's how i currently like it.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.