JKOwners Forum banner

2 Door or 4 Door ???????

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  MoreDakka 
#1 ·
I want your guys input! I'm coming for diesel truck 4X's and not sure which too go with? Could you guys give me your in put on this. I am planning to go 3-4in lift with 35's to 37's. Thanks for your info.

#2 ·
Most will disagree, but unless you absolutely need the extra room, stick with a 2-dr. They are lighter, more maneuverable, easier to place, and don't get hung up as easily. A well-dialed 2-dr with a few inches of lift and 35s will go the same places as a much more built 4-dr. Plus they are cheaper.

IMO only buy a 4-dr if you have kids, dogs, other stuff to haul, and are worried about resale.

#4 ·
A four door, with its longer wheel base, makes a better platform for climbing, in particular rock shelves, and descending as well. The trade off is manuverability on tight trails.

Breakover advantages of the two door can be overcome with more lift, larger tires, which work better on the four door to begin with (less driveline issues.)

In the ned its personal preference, keep in mind that you can leave space empty but you can never use space you don't have!

JPK

#6 ·
I had a Ram 2500 4 door short bed and loved it. The 4 door gives a lot more versatility in the cab, particularly when traveling distances. Length wise and maneuverability, it wasn't that much longer than a two door, but definitely no match for a 2 door short bed. If this is just a play truck, I agree completely with the 2 door option. If it is a combo of driver, honey-do tasks, towing, or you see any of that in the future and you don't want to trade your 2 door build up down the road and start over, consider and test the 4 door short bed option. And I will always say the Cummins even mildly tuned was simply awesome!

#7 ·
They make a 4 door Jeep???

One of the biggest factors regards family. So many ppl took the Unlimited route b/c of kids/ passengers.

Much more storage area than 2 door
More stable than 2 door
Better off-road performance on ledges than 2 door

Heavier = less power than 2 door
Not quite as maneuverable as 2 door
Can high-center easier than 2 door (depending on lift/ tire size)

Just some considerations.

#8 ·
Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you already had a jeep and were looking for a diesel.

The basic premise still applies, like they all say, the 2 door is more maneuverable and affordable. If you don't want to trade away your perfect build down the road if family needs would be better suited to a 4 door, at least consider one. I got the 4 door mainly because getting out of my diesel pickup I really missed the haul space. The 4 door converts to SUV mode and does a reasonable job making Home Depot runs. It was a compromise for me; its definitely no pickup and even with the recent PCM factory re-flash it is underwhelming at best for road performance. But there are things any Jeep can do off-road that truck couldn't touch. My Jeep may not be fast, but it will go anywhere eventually.

#10 ·
Had a two door. Now have a four door.

I loved my two door off road and running around town but I needed more room since my Jeep became my only vehicle. I am advising a buddy of mine to go with the two door because it will be purely a secondary vehicle since he has a Nissan Pathfinder.

With that said I get a lot more practical use from my four door. I am the type of person that always wants to drive my vehicle when the group goes somewhere so the 4 door is comfortable enough to do that with 4 adults. I also have a large dog that goes just about everywhere with me and he has his own space behind the rear seat now instead of having to fold up the rear seat and having no room for anything else. On long trips there is no comparison in the comfort between a two and four. I have noticed a difference in off road maneuverability between my two door and four door but nothing that made me wish I had the two door back.

Basically it all depends on the way you will use the vehicle on a daily basis. Hope this helps your decision.

Edit: No gas mileage difference between my two.

#12 ·
I love my two door, and had the chance to trade my Dad for his four door and didn't do it. I don't even have a backseat in there. However, I'm 21 and don't really have to worry about room in a Jeep. If my friends want to get somewhere they can drive their own fuggin car :thefinger:

#13 ·
Good point - guess I should qualify my opinion by stating that my Jeep is just a toy. I have a kid etc, but my daily driver is a Mazdaspeed 3. If I could have only one vehicle and it was a Wrangler, I would likely go with a 4-dr also just for practical reasons.

#15 ·
^x2

Daily driver = 4-door. More space and ability to transport passengers in comfort. Holds its own off-road, especially with big tires, but struggles in many places that the 2-door has little trouble. The 4-doors also incur more body damage than 2-doors due to lack of maneuverability and they like to drag belly due to their break-over angle. Great balance between utility and off-road performance. If it was my daily driver, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 4-door and slap 40s on it.

Weekend warrior, pure off-road rig = 2-door. You occasionally run into an obstacle where a long 4-door on 40s is a better tool for the job, but generally the 2-door will out perform it with less modification. Don't even consider the rear seat in a 2-door as an actual seat, the 2-door has more utility with the seat removed. With the wide/low stance of the 2-door JK, they are far more stable than past Wranglers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.