JKOwners Forum banner

Lockers

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Scott08X 
#1 ·
Need opinion on Lockers to install on my 2008 JK Unlimited X. ARB or ECTED?

#5 · (Edited)
Because of your location and my experience I would recommend an Aussie locker in the front and an ARB for the rear. This would give you the ease of operation and great off-road trail master effectiveness. The Aussie doesn't do anything but click when you are in tight turns when you are not in 4wd. Put the transfer case in 4wd and you have a great locker that will allow turning but just climbs over everything. This is perfect for the Dana 30. The only thing I might not recommend the Aussie for is when you live up north and use your 4wd on the streets with snow. I have used mine in snow with care and it's fine, but the turning is more difficult in that situation. The ARB in the rear will give you the daily driving ease that most folks want with trail traction that is worth the money.

Just the Aussie in the front has allowed me to tackle trails with confidence. This is the second Aussie I have installed and used in Jeeps. The Aussie locker can be installed in the garage in 3 hours easily. No gear set or rebuild kits. Just oil and seal for the diff cover.

#8 ·
I will probrably go with aussie front, and arb rear when I do mine! Had an aussie in the rear of my 94 yota pickup, and it was a little tough to drive in the snow especially with the light ass back end, For shits and giggles, I may even try aussies front and rear, first to see if it is managable. My only concern is my wife drives the jeep in shitty weather:devil:

#11 ·
I am not sure everyone is up to date. ECTED is a new design, just out for a month or two. Its internals are almost identical to ARB now just using a magnet instead of air to slide the teeth together. The older ECTEDs were crap, I agree. The new ones are pretty stout.

Your opinion is yours, just trying to clarify between new and old.

#13 ·
Not quite correct here.

The unit does not ever 'lock' as it is using additional pressure of the LSD clutch pack to 'lock'. With enough resistance the unit will slip. While this unit is better than the older model, it still uses clutches to 'lock'. When the clutches wear you can't lock. The unit cannot be rebuilt after you wear the clutches and the exchange warranty only extends 4 years.

#12 ·
I'm running a Detroit in the rear, and it's been great so far.

#21 ·
I have an Aussie up front and the facotry limited slip in the rear. I love the set up. I plan to add some sort of locker in the rear, but for now it has worked flawlessly for me. I wouldn't recommend trying to do the install of the Aussie yourself if you aren't mechanically inclined, especially if you have to swap out for a new carrier. I had to because my JK cam geared with 3.21s when stock. The Aussie needs a JK carrier for 3.73 and up.

#23 ·
I have an aussie on the 3.21 carrier and its flawless, no problems at all. The aussie website doesn't even specify a certain carrier.

#25 ·
Just got ARBs installed last week and wheeled it on Saturday. They performed great! Don't have experience with other lockers but from all the threads I read they seemed to be the top choice. I am very satirize with them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.