JKOwners Forum banner

2007 JK Unlimited using oil?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SoK66 
#1 ·
Hello again I'm checking to see if anyone else has this problem. I have a 07 Jeep JK Unlimited 4X4 48,000 miles stock motor 4 inch lift running 35's. Then last 6,000 miles I've noticed that I've been using a quart every 1,000 miles. No leaks and not smoking nothing in the radiator. When I checked with the dealer they told me that was about right for it. Please Help?

#2 ·
I don't use a drop. There's no reason you should lose any oil.

#3 ·
One of my JK's has used a quart every 3000 miles since the day I got it. I have 100,000 miles on it now and still burns the exact same amount. Many people with JK's eperience the same thing without problems. The dealers will tell you that it can be normal....and a ton of the Caravans with the 3.8 have the same thing going on, and have for many years. My other JK does not have this problem at all. There are several threads on here that speak to this issue. check them out, as they are very informative.

#4 ·
Its a common problem with these engines, but chrysler seems unwilling to do anything about it. Have you ever cleaned or replaced your PCV valve? its in the driver side valve cover, behind the coil pack. If they aren't kept clean, they can lead to oil consumption. Have you been running the same brand oil in it all the time? sometimes if you try a different brand, some will increase oil consumption compared to others.

#5 ·
No I've not checked the PCV valve but I will in the morning. Thanks. I've used two different oils since it started. I used a syn. oil it was low after about 800 miles. I've looked on here and I can't find nothing about it so if you know the link please let me know. Thanks again everyone.

#6 ·
When I had my 07 it used a little more than 1 litre every 4000 kms. Put a new PCV Valve in is and it was a bit better. My 2010... no burning oil at all yet... 13,000 KMS on her already.

#7 ·
I went to get a PCV valve today and no one has one, not even the dealer. Told me they were on backorder, and that the supplier was supposed to ship 20k this week....Advance, Autozone, and O'rielly didn't have one either. I guess I will try NAPA, for a little bit of that NAPA KNOW HOW, and see if I can get one there. Insanity!!

#8 ·
Well picked up my PCV valve today. Got mine at Carquest. Tried to take mine off with Jeep cold no luck. Drove it for about 15 minutes and pop came right out. It was still good though so I'm back to square one. The only thing I found was oil in the line that came off the PCV valve. So I think I'm going to 5 W 30 and try it. Thanks again

#11 · (Edited)
My '09 started this at around 15,000 - 16,000 miles. At 19k now. It's hard to determine how much it uses because the dipstick isn't accurate. With a fresh oil change the level is about 1/4 of the way over the full line. I'm guessing it's going to use about 1qt every 3k miles, which sucks but really isn't excessive.

Interesting emissions issue here. If they're burning oil that raises the HC. If all of them do it I'd be pretty sure Chrysler's not in compliance, and that it affects MILLIONS of vehicles. The EPA may be the "big fix" on this. I imagine the cost of this recall could finally put Chrysler under for good.

Some precedent on this. Back in the mid to late 70s VW had a serious oil consumption problem on their early water cooled cars, 74 - mid 79 IIRC. Problem was bad valve guide seals, which would harden by 15k miles and the things would start sucking a quart of oil in 300 miles. Owners got used to them not using oil, stopped checking it at fill-ups and pretty soon engines were knocking, siezed, etc. VW responded by putting a sticker around the filler neck thet read "Check Engine Oil". (Kinda like Jeeps "Hot Oil" light fix, huh?) Well, obviously that didn't fix the issue. Unless pressed legally VW refused to fix them in service, claiming owner "abuse". But, in mid-79 they quietly released a new type of valve guide seal and the real issue came to light. Feds caught on and forced them to buy back 200 Rabbits at random for field testing. All of them failed emissions, so EPA forced VW to recall all of them and replace the seals. Shortly thereafter, the FTC made VW reimburse everyone who'd had to pay for a new engine, then made them put info re the reimbursement program on every new vehicle's window sticker for something like five years.

Point is, Chrysler can run, but they can't hide. If this causes an emissions issue, which it likely does, it explains the 5w-20 bit and likely indicates many of the JKs are out of compliance on a Federal level. Government Bailout II, anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.