JKOwners Forum banner

305HP Pentastar V6

11K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  lohchief 
#1 ·
http://www.pentastars.com/

The Pentastar engines were created by Chrysler engineers to replace the V6 powerplants used by both Chrysler Corporation and Mercedes. In 2011, it will become the sole V6 option in ten vehicles. In 2012, it is expected to be Chrysler’s sole V6.

The first Pentastar was the 3.6 liter V6 engine, pumping out 305 horsepower and 268 lb-ft of torque in the 2011 Dodge Challenger. 90% of torque is available from 1,800 to 6,360 rpm.

The forthcoming direct-injection 3-liter twin-turbo version is projected to hit 420 horsepower, enough for Maserati.

This site has rumors and projections for the future, an in-depth look at the Pentastar V6, engine specifications, and a look at production and the factory.

#2 ·
I believe the engine in the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is rated at 290 hp / 260 lbft torque

#8 ·
Yep. It's quite nice too.

I got news for ya though - it's not going to be much of an improvement over the 3.8, if any at all. All of this non-sense about how the 3.8L sucks and this new Pentastar is the greatest thing ever. No. It's not. I drive the GC and then get in my JK with 37's and 4.10's and the furthest thing from my mind is "goddamn I wish I had that 3.6."

Besides, the JK's been getting a new motor for almost three years now. Bet it doesn't happen again this time either.

Oh, and the 3.6 has a weird ass oil filter.

#33 ·
x10

The motor they put in these things is a fawking joke...

I was taking our bone stock Sahara 4dr through some hills in Pennsylvania this week and it was having a fit trying to stay over 50mph climbing the hills. It was downright pathetic...

#10 ·
well. it still wont do me any good.

2010 Challenger with a 250hp 3.5
2007 JK-U with a pukey 3.8... i wont even bother with a rating.

i'd wonder why they would bother derating the engine from model to model. you'd figure that cooling and intake would be plenty sufficient to handle it across the board.

oh well..

#16 ·
Any one read about the 3.5 liter that ford is fixing to put out. 365 hp with over 400 ft lbs of torque. And they are slapping a 11,300 pound tow rating with it in their trucks! I would do that swap in a heart beat!!!:beer:

Oh and no I am not really a Ford guy but damn,,,they got this engine right!:beer:

#19 ·
All of Chryslers V6's are getting replaced, from what I see in 2012 the wrangler and the truck will be the only non Pentastar in the line up. Clearly 2012 is the year of the 3.6 and others to join the group like a new 3.0 v6 as well. The Ford F150 ecoboost is direct injected which boost big power yet efficiency.

Jason

#20 ·
I'm still not totally sold on direct gas injection yet. I think it has a while to go till its totaly refined. I'm hearing about a lot of issues with large deposits on the intake valves and problems with fuel dilution in the oil. Some are ofcourse worse than others, but I don't think its been perfected yet.

#21 ·
Yeah, maybe Chrysler should work on perfecting a V6 that doesn't blow at 40K before they tackle direct injection.

On another note, whether or not the JK gets it, this new V6 better have more than 300 HP if they want to stay competitive. Chevy, Ford, Nissan (just off the top of my head, probably others as well) all have naturally aspirated V6's that make more than 300 HP.

#29 ·
What happens if some of us older JK's blow an engine under warranty? Will be we getting this new Pentastar?

#35 ·
That motor is an NA 5.5 liter v8 making 391 tq 75% of which is available at 1,000 rpm. That ~294 tq. Thats ok but I saw a bmw 135i on the dyno today make 438 tq at 2500 rpm and hold that pretty much across the rest of the pull. That motor is an 3 liter I-6 with twin turbos (variable vain). The engine had very minor modifications. Sorry to take it off topic but BMW makes the best engines.

#36 ·
#40 ·
I have no problems with my 3.8/6sp combo in my 2D. With that said, the main PITA is driving on the highways.

I love the 6 speed and my wife has driven a manual for years, but some times she doesn't take it because she doesn't want to shift gears. For some insane reason I've also been thinking about a JKU. I think they look like shit with the top down unless they have 35's and the doors off, but I'm still working through that.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a '12 but not sure which configuration yet. On the other hand, I might just keep the '09.

#38 ·
Wow it isn't direct injection!? Jeez jeep get up to date, pathetic...

Sorry this change does nothing for me. By the time it's out it will be behind the times.... Typical domestic

#41 ·
Ford is the only one that offers a 3.5L direct injected/dual turbo DOHC V-6 for their pickups,( 1/2 ton).Chebby (GM) is still running pushrods and a basic architecture from 1955.

#43 ·
I believe the new mustang v6 is di.

Just saying its no engine to get worked up over to me. I'd expect by 2012 more di engines will be out and the new jeep engine will again be low on power and mileage in comparison. Watch! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.