JKOwners Forum banner

Kayak Mounting ?

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jonnybo20 
#1 ·
Normally I just put the top down and strap my kayak to the front and rear bumpers and away I go. My problem is now that I'm gettting ready to take a vacation with my kayak and don't want to drive in the rain with no top. I would put a rack of somesort on my jeep but it only clears the garage by less than an inch now. My kayak ways about 65 pounds. If I just throw it on top of the Jeep with the soft top up is it going to destroy the bows in the top? Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks

Fish

#2 ·
I have the same delima with my canoe. 65 pounds, is not much. But.... it will catch a lot of air at highway speeds, I can't see the soft top bows surviving.

I plan to buy a new house with a higher shop door, and install a rack. :)

#3 ·
Im thinking if it will hold it for a few minutes I can stuff a couple pieces of foam from an old kayak carrier I had on top of the roll bar and windshield. This should raise the kayak above the bow in the roof. Then I strap down the bow and stearn like I normally do. I just haven't figured out how to secure the foam in place. I'm afraid at highway speeds it might blow out.

#4 ·
#5 ·
That's a good idea Sonic. The Cabelas version won't clear my spare tire but I should be able to weld something up that would work. Thanks

#6 ·
yeah i would never buy one of those, its probably the easiest thing you could possibly fab if you have a welder and a chop saw :beer:

#9 ·
Nice, and the little woman is smiling too. Nice job. I have the KargoMaster rack for the 4dr, with one cross bar in rear, placed where the kayak has the most support while upside down, ~ 5ft. My brother & I both have the same kayaks, Pelican fishing ride on top style. Works good for what we do with our families, & kids, on lakes, and slow moving rivers.

#10 · (Edited)
here is my jeep... The yakima bars are mounted with kargo master brackets. Luckily they also hold on the awning... all it took was some custom modified hinges I found at home depot that were originally for a backyard gate.

I know they aren't in the picture, but I have since put on a yakima bike and mako kayak racks on the bars that you see mounted to the cargo rack. It can hold the kayak, my bike, 10 gallons of gas, and all my gear up there no sweat.

sorry for the crappy pic but its the only one I have of the rack right now.

#11 ·
anyone have a 4 door that has solved this problem? my wife wants to get 2 kayaks for x-mas and that way we have them for the summer .. I don't know why she wants them for x-mas we get something call snow here in Canada. anyways i normally have the soft top down but i don't know how to rig them up!

I will be picking up a M101cnd trailer next week for $650 and it looks to be in great shape with little rust but we will see once i get it back to base and have some time to look it over! Can i rig them up to that trailer ?? any help would be great !

Cheers:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.