JKOwners Forum banner

Air in hydro-boosted power steering.

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  obajoba 
#1 ·
So, as my sig says, I have a WTOR hydro-boosted steering setup. Works great, but seems it routinely gets air in the system. I can tell because the power steering pump starts to howl. I can bleed the system. it burbs out some bubbles and is fine until the next trail run, where it seems to get air in again. Running the stock pump & reservoir, with a Derale dual-pass cooler. No leaks anywhere. Stumped. Ideas?

#7 ·
Is your Res mounted above the pump? How about hose routing?
^^^ Reader's Digest version ^^^ :laughing:

I'd add a larger reservoir with a filter and elevate it as much as possible.

For me, that was this close to the underside of the hood (wax check for clearance):

A bit more fluid volume, held higher, and I'm betting the bubble drama goes away for good.
You have a cooler :beer: but filtration + greater reservoir volume also make hydraulic pumps sooper-dooper happy.

EDIT:
Air in your system can destroy your pump or pit your ram via cavitation - do not want.
If your pump is in good condition and you have cooler + filter, it should last ~forever.
Thanks for the responses all. It's the stock reservoir and supply hose for the pump. I'm gussing what happens is exactly as suggested, when I get on steep climbs and descents or rough terrain it's somehow allowing the suction side to gulp a bit of foamed up fluid. I've tried the vaccum bleed technique and it really doesn't do anything. I'm guessing the only real fix is the larger reservoir, etc.

#6 · (Edited)
WTOR hydro-boosted steering setup.
routinely gets air in the system.
I can bleed the system . . . fine until the next trail run,
Running the stock pump & reservoir, with a Derale dual-pass cooler.
No leaks anywhere. Stumped. Ideas?
you can only really pull air in between the reservoir and the pump inlet.
Everything else in the system is at positive pressure
^^^This right here^^^^^

From your description of when it happens, offroad, whatever angles you're getting the Jeep at is uncovering the feed for the pump. Or sloshing in the reservoir is letting bubbles get sucked in.
Is your Res mounted above the pump? How about hose routing?
^^^ Reader's Digest version ^^^ :laughing:

I'd add a larger reservoir with a filter and elevate it as much as possible.

For me, that was this close to the underside of the hood (wax check for clearance):

A bit more fluid volume, held higher, and I'm betting the bubble drama goes away for good.
You have a cooler :beer: but filtration + greater reservoir volume also make hydraulic pumps sooper-dooper happy.

EDIT:
Air in your system can destroy your pump or pit your ram via cavitation - do not want.
If your pump is in good condition and you have cooler + filter, it should last ~forever.

#8 ·
Thats the problem with WTO assist. It's an incomplete system but people crow about it because of cost. Its like buying a 4" lift kit that only contains coils and shocks. It works but much more is needed for a proper reliable set up. The PSC is priced too high imo but is a complete solution that just works.

#9 · (Edited)
Agreed, the PSC stuff is pricey but, like you said, it flat-out does the job.

First go-'round I bought a PSC 1.75" x 6.75" ram, ported my box, made hoses, burned on Synergy brackets, and plumbed a cooler and filter into the return line (pump and reservoir were stock).

The filter housing (Mr Gasket or similar remote housing for a common spin-on filter) leaked slightly :pissed: through a porous die casting that wasn't resin impregnated, and the factory pump didn't quite have enough pressure for my hydro assist or hydraulic winch.

Those problems pissed me off enough to open my wallet and add a PSC pump and reservoir / filter. So I ended up with PSC ram, pump, and filter/reservoir. 20/20 hindsight would lead me just take the hit and start with those components next time.

Now that the sting of price has faded, I have no regrets - everything just continues to work with no drama. Aftermarket parts that don't cost me time or worry are worth whatever I paid (especially since it's been years and I don't remember how much I paid :laughing: )

EDIT: Pump specs. need to be matched to steering ram diameter (apologies if you already knew that)

I believe the WTOR ram is 1.5" :dunno: which works great with the factory pump's pressure / flow rate. The PSC pump I have matches well with a 1.75" diameter ram, but would make for twitchy / scary steering on-road with a 1.5" ram. I think you're just looking to play around with reservoir location, but I wanted to call out that potential problem if you were considering a different pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.