JKOwners Forum banner

Jl axles in a Jk

11K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DirtyMJ 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I know that the RCV joints are bigger in the JL axle, but there is room for improvement in everything. Chrysler likely said to Spicer give us an axle with these specs, Spicer said here you go. Then went and beefed it up the way they wanted to. Likely larger and thicker tubes among other things.

#6 ·
From a press release on this subject:

The Dana 44 AdvanTEK axle assemblies for the Jeep JL Wrangler offer higher torque capacity than the standard Dana Model 44™ axle. The Spicer® gearing used in Dana 44™ axles have a 226mm ring gear size, while Dana 44™AdvanTEK® axles have a smaller, more durable 220mm ring gear.

Significant features and benefits of the Dana 44™AdvanTEK® axles

Axle Shafts
Stock front axle knuckles designed to accept Spicer® 1410 u-joint
Dana 44™ AdvanTEK® axle shafts upgraded from 30 to 32 spline

Ball Joint Assembly
High-capacity upper and lower ball joints
Adjustable camber slugs allow for adjustment for gross axle weight rating changes

Seal Upgrades
New high-performance cartridge-style oil seals on front axle
New triple lip seals with axial excluder for maximum muddy water protection on rear axle

Housing Strength
Front axle tube diameter increased to 70mm from 63.5mm
Rear axle tube diameter remains at 80mm, but upgraded to high strength steel

Differential
Electric locking differential
Pinion offset decreased from 38.1mm to 20mm offering better ground clearance and higher efficiency

Axle Disconnect System
Electric disconnect system that improves fuel economy
A protective skid plate has been added to avoid off-road damage

New Suspension Mounting
Most brackets have moved to 5mm material and are now made with high-strength steel

Cover Sealing Upgrade
Re-useable rubber over metal gaskets

Gear Set
Carriers protected for 3.07 to 5.38 ratios

...seems like a bunch of kaka, but wadda I know?

:bounce2:

:jeep2:

#16 ·
Someone can correct my impressions here, but there’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10. They attempted to explain the strength advantage of the JL gears vs JK, but the JL gears look like a JK Dana 30. Not convinced.

#17 ·
Someone can correct my impressions here, but there’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10.
If you take an axle and increase the numerical gear ratio, the pinion always gets smaller, it has to to achieve the new ratio. Even if you take a D80 axle, a 5.13 pinion will appear tiny compared to a 4.10 pinion for the same axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.