OLD SCHOOL BUILD

12K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  HUNTER 
#1 ·
2016 JKU Sport
only option-Automatic
Looking to go basic JEEP

Step 1
Pull plastic bumpers
Pull Seats, Carpet, trim and seat belts.
Step 2
Install Bestop low back buckets in SPICE vinyl for the fronts. I had to make adapters. Looking for basic lap belts now.
Waiting on matching rear bench, I'll also fab up a mount, looking for easy removal, spacing it back further so i can run doors off and my daughter wont fly out! intend to install four point harness in rear, possibly the front as well.
Step 3
Pull flares
Pull factory donuts
Install 35x12.5R15 KM2'S(MEASURED OUT 34.5@ 32PSI. Mounted on AR23, 15x8 3.73"bs. factory 16" steelies measured out 14 1/8" at calipers, AR23 14 1/4, must be mindful of where you mount balancing weights, they rubbed in rear(need a rebalance).
Step 4
Install MCE carbon fiber flares when they arrive.
Step 5
Trim frame front and rear, weld up 'C" channel bumpers

Considering;
Line-X the tub
Regear 4.88 or 5.13 thoughts?
Renegade or Golden Eagle decals
Maybe a level lift, though she sits pretty high with all the weight removed.
Come spring, half doors for rear, Soft doors for the front, bend/weld up a roll cage.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Definitely old school! I had a CJ7 with a C-channel bumper... and angle iron rockers. The really good "fabricators" would weld diamond plate to the top of the C for a nonslip surface.

Old style seat belts are available new for the musclecar/restoration guys. They come in every color and they add up fast.

Be prepared for a hard time since this isn't what the cool kids are building. Not what I'm doing either but it's your Jeep so carry on! Keep updating this...

I was gonna ask you about selling your brand new seats but the shipping from Philly would be painful.

#4 · (Edited)
PHASE 2 Coming soon!

Well.....19,000 miles later, going to change it up a bit.
I had an opportunity to move to the beach bringing me MUCH closer to my daughter, but i have a 900 mile/week commute back to Philly everyday. I Don't mind the ride at all, but changed my vehicle needs. With the 3.21 gears and the KM2's averaging right about 20mpg thats nearly 100% highway driving and i don't think you can get any lighter JKU than what I'm running. Power band is off a little but not as HORRIBLE as I thought it would be. I'm probably never going to be in the rocks again at Rausch Creek so, beach buggy is where I'm headed with the build. And the Island I am living on, North Wildwood NJ does tend to flood so.....I'll touch on how well everything performed so far.

MCE flares A++ i got the carbon look models and I think they look ok with my black Jeep, but wouldn't do that color again, just my personal preference. How do they hold up? AWESOME!! They have been backed into TWICE and popped right back to shape with no marks, scuffs or creases. Both times the women thanked me to death to not have to report the incident. Also its been HOT here and they hold shape perfectly, no sag.

Bestop vinyl seats have also been 100%, rain(lots) sand, sliding in and out, look as good as the day I put them in. For what they are, fairly inexpensive. Think JEEP ought to offer vinyl as an option. The spice color gets compliments also helps keep them cooler than a darker color. Think i would have gone with a fold and tumble rear bench if i had to do over but the fixed back matches front lowbacks perfectly. I have CROWN lap belts, they're fading a little but again, open to the shore air/elements, no rust.

Bestop front canvas doors, well......they fit good, hold out weather good, loud as f#%k at 70mph, but hey, we're all big boys here. Expensive for what they are, but I like the two piece design for in vehicle storage.

Savvy aluminum rears, fit perfectly, I got a really good deal on a set of first gen(no exterior handles) I wanted a clean look. But they do rattle and no knock against them, I imagine the 2ndGen don't and i intend to use weather stripping to remedy but its summer and hardly notice. I etch primed them then rattle canned them, holding up real well.

Dynomax 39522 kit, it uses the 17263 muffler, got a good price from amazon, same as everyone else has reviewed, hard getting old stuff off, this goes right on. It's loud(I'm 46), especially from a cold start at 4am, ask my neighbors, once warmed up, its fine at idle, drone up to about 1300rpm, wot sounds "COOL mister", i would go quieter if I redid, but think its quieting down, or I've just gotten used to it.

AR23's decent wheel, holding up well,I was expecting pitting and issues from being on the beach and the flooding down here(saltwater), but they look good as new. But being a 15" wheel the balancing weights need to be placed as to not rub the calipers.

BFG KM2"s(35"x12.5R15) great tires, we had 29" snow in a weekend and i didn't get stuck once, was pulling folks out, no lockers. I've put 15,000 highway miles on them and would say they have 60% tread left, wearing evenly. For what they are, not too loud.

Crawler Conceptz Stubby front and rear bumpers. I originally was going to weld up "C" channel bumpers but after looking at various pics, they look like dog balls, I got great deal on these as well. the front is a good bit bigger(depth) than I like and I intend to modify it eventually, but for now they'll do. I por15'd them and rattle canned them, that came out poorly so i brushed them with rustoleum, look like poop, but no rust! lol

Craigslist is your friend.....I got front freedom panels, albeit a different color for $300, and a beat up rear section for$200 i welded up load bars and bolted them on for kayak transport

ON TO THE NEXT.....
Teraflex 2.5" coil lift
Bilstein 5100's
Teraflex forged front track bar
Rancho control arm mounts
AR NOVA wheels 17"x8" 4.5"bs 23lb or 29lb? I've seen different weights online.
Toyo Open Country RT 37"x12.5R17 measure exactly 36" static, 76lb I intend to weigh the combo and ill update. Again my intended use is mainly beach, some snow and a lot of highway so I went with an AT tire with a 45,000 mi warranty that I'm going to put to the test.

I didn't try, but i believe the 37's would fit without a lift. The MCE flares give so much room(i did NOT reinstall front wheel well liners) and my JK is so light.

And since I will continue the epic commute I'm going to regear to 4.56's, not popular, but fits my needs. Going to keep the open carriers weld on upper C gussets as I'm easy on the go pedal, think the D30 should hold up fine. Some pics

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
WINTER @ Beach!

So... I have just under 36,000 miles on the JEEP, as you can see, I did not get it "finished" before winter set in lol. 1" rigid insulation, a two door Bestop rear window and its good to go. I planned on running the Bestop canvas doors all winter, but it got to be TOO cold/loud, so i picked up a pair of junkyard doors, much better. Which leads me to the tires, Toyo hit a home run with the R/T's. quietest AT/MT I've ever had and excellent all conditions performance. After 15,000+ miles, they are just starting to show wear, the 45,000 mile warranty is legit. I regeared to 4.56 and for the most part I'm happy with the performance. I am averaging just about 17mpg, I drive ~900 miles a week, all highway. Putting the hard doors on helped as well, believe I'll get closer to 18mpg, thats driving 65mph @ 2200rpm, staying just in the "eco mode". Only complaint is downshifting/slowing down, I do have a basic superchips calibration tool, but its just real funky/inconsistent when slowing down, some times its gearing down, others heavy brakes are needed. Also, the muffler is annoying, anyone have a good SMALL muffler recommendation that is quiet??
I just got a 2" die for the tube bender and plan to go with a "cargo cage". Hoop in the very rear, and hoop just behind the "B" pillar so the cross bar will clear the front seats. May use HardRock, or Poison Spyder "A" pillars to tie in the front. I am on the fence of tiring it into the frame. And the body work has me concerned, I am a novice welder and doing the rear door closeout has me worried. But i 'm sure one day ill just say **** it and do it.
Stay tuned
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Vehicle Automotive tire Snow Car Tire

#10 ·
I like it.
Everything about it.
Simple and light is good.

I am not some sort of safety freak by any means, but my first responder past cringed at the low back seats. Totally agree that Jeep should offer a premium nylon seat though. Makes way more sense. My Bartact seat covers are the next best thing.

BTW, 4.56 and 37 is great for a highway rig. And fine for offroad if you are not looking to rock crawl.

:)

#16 ·
I can't believe you drive 900 miles a month and don't worry about being rear ended with no head rests. It's funny, I actually have an old school Jeep (a '61) and I'm pretty much doing just the opposite of you, installed buckets with head rests, I'm installing crappy outdoor carpet that I can throw away when ever but, I'm putting it in for sound and heat control. Removed the leaves in front and went 4 link w/King coilovers, new gauges, motor, axles, etc.

#17 ·
I drive 900mi a WEEK! lol
Safety is a personal issue. I think the safest thing is a good driver. People now days rely on "features" to keep them safe, while they text and dick around while driving. I grew up riding in the bed of my pops pick up and moms VW wagon(60's ?) that didn't even have seat belts, and I'm still here. "Its safer than a motorcycle" I say often, not being a smart ass, but realistic. Its my horse, a true SUV. I have doors/top off 8months a year, I'm willing to accept the risk. Nascar builds cars that crash at 200mph and the driver walks away, so the technology is there. Why don't people buy them? Cost, and govt regulation blah blah blah,but I digress.

#20 · (Edited)
Safety is a personal issue and I also rode in the back of p/ups when I was small. Hell, it wasn't until after I was born that seat belts were even put in cars. I don't know if I would call headrests a "feature" like anti lock brakes or anything like that though. Also, you may be a good driver but you have no control when you are stopped behind someone and get hit from behind. I might be more concerned about the person riding with me getting hurt and me being responsible for it but, it is a free country and you can do what ever you want. I do wish you good luck and I do like your Jeep. As far as a true SUV, I have the first USA made all steel 4wd SUV.

#21 · (Edited)
Outriggers. A question to welders out there. Can I just weld the cage mounts to the frame(no fishmouthed backing plate)? Stress risers and all that. The frame is weak, I've seen first hand control arm mounts rip off tearing the frame. The body mounts are welded vertically directly to the frame also.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

#23 ·
some detail where i removed factory bars, and new holes through tub.

Slow going I know, now that weather has finally cooled off, ill put some more time into this. Not having a garage to work from is murder, and being in a shitty neighborhood don't help either, cant leave a screw driver unattended or it'll walk...

Attachments

#26 ·
Upgrade coming, details to follow.

it is literally everyone but me that is buying these crazy $$$ Dana axlehousings / setups . I’m reminded every visit to jko of this.

I really want to compliment your ongoing modification of this jku - the cage is awesome and a great retro look! - but there is one of those Dana shipping crates, darn your hard work ! :shaking:

Someday I’ll get a Dana crate....

Keep the updates comin , man!
:jeep2:

#27 ·
106,000 mi update

Well, its been a while so I'll jump right in.
I began stockpiling parts for a big upgrade, but life throws you curves. I got flooded out at the beach and i'm back to city life. ONLY 125mi a week commute. lol
I'll update on the good/bad of what i've been running;

MCE fr flares have gotten wonky, think the sun/heat has taken a toll on them. They have a permanent sag to them now where the support bar is. Probably will go Nemesis or Poison Spyder for fronts. Rears are fine.

Besttop seats, driver seat showing age but definately worth the money. Cushion has Homer Simpson ass groove goin on, and some tears from when i had knife or screw driver in back pocket, user error. Passenger seat is near perfect.

Savvy rear doors operate fine but need a refinish, I would recommend.

Dynomax muffler is what it is, i reinstalled my soundbar so its less an issue, and get compliments often on "cool" sound.

Toyo RT's have 87,000mi!!! 25% tread left. sound has gone up, but best tire i've ever owned, wish they came in 40's. Great AT in snow, rain, beach and quiet. I had a plug early on in two tires TPMS never has gone off.

Teraflex lift, I am not happy with the springs. I have a very light Jeep and they load and unload at weird times, hard to explain, but they are the opposite of smooth.

I completed the A pillar and it came out great, I was shooting for really tight tolerances and high visibility. Only had to trim softtop latches 3/4" inch.
Used a modified Under Cover Fabworks mount. Tied into rear section.

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
40's

So i decided i want 40's. I looked at it a couple ways. Get spacers, run until axles failed, go right dana 60's, some combo of the two, built 44's, hybrid 44/60's. I got a great price on a rear Ultimate 60(4.88's and Elocker) and ordered front spacers. Right away decided, bad idea, dana 30+40"=BOOM. Oh i forgot, my front drive shaft went like a year and a half ago, so i've been 2wd.....see where this is going?
40's are WAY bigger than 37's.
AR mod12 wheels 17"x9" 4.53 bs MickeyThompson Baja MTZP3 40x13.5R17
Fusion 4x4 King Pin 3.5"tube, 7/16"wall, 72"wms to wms 6*caster JK abs plug and play and big brakes and 2.5ton steering. Flame away....:smile2:
To get a 60 FR axle with custom width was double of what i paid, and the hybrids and D44 were not far off from the cost of a 60. I'll run this for a while see how i like before going back to 4WD.
Moved up to Rock Krawler 3.5" springs to address my issues with Teraflex spring and a little extra height never hurt.
Also got JK8 master/booster as well as PSC Big Bore X steering box.
I expect to use front factory control arms and i got metal cloak rear uppers for the rear. This is a little above my ability so the install is next week. I will follow up after.

Attachments

#30 ·
Yeah, interesting you stuck with the 2WD setup being on the east coast but I guess since it's primarily pavement you're driving on, maybe you'll get enough grip from just the rear 40s?

Crazy how much the front axles go for so I can understand it from a $$$ viewpoint.

Here in the west coast I don't see much snow unless I drive to it. If I were back in the midwest though, I'd definitely keep the 4WD lever handy during the winter. Primarily so I could more easily maneuver around those slipping/sliding all over the place. I'm sure the east coast winters aren't much different :)

I do like the LJ/JK-truck direction you seem to be going. That is definitely going to be my next build...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.