JKOwners Forum banner

TPMS After not having it for 3 years?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  keeponjeepinon 
#1 ·
Long story short, 3 years ago when I bought my wheels and tires mounted and balanced online, I cheaped out and didn't pay the extra coin for new sensors. All was fine since I'm a grown ass man and have a tire gauge, can remember to check them, and my Bullydog disabled the system. Now that my 35s are getting worn down and starting to chunk on one that got beat up at the Gulches, it's time to get 37s once I get up to Ohio. I'd like to re-enable the system just so it cuts down on some of the general maintenance that I have to do. (I DD my supermoto now, oil changes every 2k FTW) Looking on Rockauto, some say they need a programmer to relearn and some say they can be cloned, but I'm not sure if they'll work since I don't have any to be cloned, I'm not even sure if OEMs will work since it's been off for so long. I'm probably going to dismount and mount the tires myself and install the sensors, then take it to get balanced to keep the cost down

#3 ·
If you're asking how to get the TPMS working again, all you should need to do is install TPMS sensors in the new wheels and use the bullydog to program TPMS monitoring back into the jeep. if the bully dog can disable tmps, it should have no problem re-enabling it as well.

#4 ·
In addition to what, boopiejones said... after you enable the system all you would have to do is install compatible sensors. You do not have to clone the O.E. sensors or even reprogram/reset the TPMS system due to the new sensors. All JK's utilize an auto re-learn system that finds the new sensor ID's while the vehicle is under operation. Hope this helps. If we can be of further assistance in anyway please let us know.

Here's some TPMS FAQs if anyone is interested:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) | Discount Tire Direct

#5 ·
Ok yeah, I think rockauto's descriptions are just a little confusing. I know I can re-enable it, was just worried of it not sensing the sensors

#7 ·
I do that with the supermoto, not the Jeep lol. Mine's not as bad as others, since it is a dual sport underneath the sumo upgrades. The guys that ride converted race bikes change it every 750-1000mi (10-15hrs)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.