JKOwners Forum banner

200 miles of Dirt in Canyonlands

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Greg@RME 
#1 ·
Last weekend a few RME members headed into Canyonlands for a 3 day trip exploring the amazing & remote back country roads the park has to offer. Jon put the trip together, bringing his built up Rodeo. Kevin B. joined in in his pretty much stock Ford F150 (sporting upgraded tires) and I decided to tag along in my JKU.

Day 1- We met in Green River, UT on Saturday and after a quick stop to top off our tanks in Hanksville, headed South towards Hite and the turnoff into the Maze. We pulled off the dirt and aired down, then began the long drive. Our plan was to drive to the Maze Overlook and camp there for the night, about 50 miles offroad.

About 15 miles in and after crossing many dry washes, we entered a valley with some pretty menacing, dark clouds.... it was raining up ahead. (I don't know about you, but I LOVE being in the desert during a big downpour! Yeah, the mud sucks but seeing the washes running makes it all worth it!) It wasn't long before the roads were messy, we had to slow down a bit and watch how much sliding around we did.

Shortly after we got a call on the radio.... Jon was bringing up the tail end of the group and had some trouble. Kevin and I turned around and found Jon's Rodeo on the edge of the road, with both front tires facing opposite directions. He had broken an inner tie rod end. We were 30 miles in and it was getting late in the day.... we debated about what to do, had a rancher stop by and provide some advice and a couple phone numbers of local's that had flatbed tow trucks. Eventually we decided to ratchet-strap the loose knuckle straight and try driving out to the road, with the passenger side tire doing the steering. Kevin had some ratchet straps and after several stops to re-secure the loose knuckle and repair a broken strap, we slowly made our way out.

The dry washes were now full with muddy water, none of them were very deep but the sight sure was neat! Eventually the rain let up on the way back, we made it back to the road and found a payphone at Hite marina (no cell service) and called for a tow truck to load Jon's Rodeo. We made camp by the parking area and hung out around around the Campfire in a Can (propane powered for National Park legality ;) )

See less See more
Reactions: pvanweelden
#2 ·
Day 2 - The tow truck never showed up overnight, so we decided to take Jon up to Hanksville where he had service and services... so he could sort out his business. Kevin and I again topped off our tanks and this time we headed to the Hans Flat turn-off, hit the dirt running fast to make up for lost time. We stopped at the Ranger station, then headed towards the Flint Trail overlook and switchbacks. I've seen a lot of steep dugways, but the Flint Trail switchback were impressive, a massive drop in elevation in a very short distance! The views from the overlook were impressive, you could see a lot of land!

After making our way down to the lower bench, we started working our way across the amazing road, in awe of the views it presented. We were driving above another valley and saw the road we'd be taking back towards the Dollhouse, far below... and it looked pretty formidable! After a couple hours we reached the main 4 way intersection, turned towards the Dollhouse. At Teapot Rock there was a warning sign.... 'High Clearance 4WD Vehicles Only!' We laughed and went on, only to realize shortly after that this sign wasn't kidding. We dropped into 4 low many times and picked our lines carefully, Kevin was working hard to get his long and low F150 over and around the big rocks and ledges. I had a easier time in the JKU, 35's on a 3" TeraFlex suspension and high-clearance bumpers helped! Our quick progress slowed to a crawl as we covered ground carefully.

After a couple more hours, the trail let up and we were able to pick up the pace... for awhile. Soon some amazing red rock formations as the Land of Standing Rocks appeared and we were in awe of the sights! We explored the area, hiking around and admiring the land ahead of us.

#3 ·

It was getting late in the day so we picked up the pace again and headed for our destination for the night in the Dollhouse, campsite #1. We dropped down into the wash for a couple miles and made some good time, then drove right into the beautiful rock formations that make up the Dollhouse. The lighting was great with the setting sun, so the first thing we did after parking was run around with the cameras, trying to do justice to the area. It didn't take long before the light faded and we went about setting up camp, then preparing meals. We hung out around the propane campfire, enjoying a well earned cold beer and eating great camp dinners! The weather has been great all day and the evening was the same, probably high 40's at night and high 60's to low 70's in the day.

#4 ·
Day 3- I slept great, woke up with the rising sun and headed out taking more pics of the area. We packed up camp and hit the trail by 8:30, wishing we had more time to hike around the Dollhouse, but unfortunately we had a lot of miles ahead of us and needed to be home at a decent time that evening.

We decided to go out of Canyonlands by way of Sunset Pass and Poison Springs Canyon, after hearing that the County had repaired a recent washout. The views on the way out were simply amazing, Sunset Pass has a campsite still in the National Park and it's another place I want to camp now, amazing place!! The road out presented us with incredible, massive views mixed with wash crossings and just enough challenge and narrow roads that kept you paying attention to the road. Many miles later we dropped down into the valley and to the river ford at the Dirty Devil. I slowed, dropped it into 4 Low and proceeded in. We knew the river was running pretty low and I've been here a few times before, so I drove right in. At the deepest I would say it was around 30"... the bottom was rocky and firm and the river banks were smooth, making for an easy crossing.

From there we headed into Poison Springs Canyon and towards our exit. We talked about trying to find the Butch Cassidy signature, so when we were in the right area we went about looking... spent about an hour searching, with no luck. We really need to go back with proper directions and perhaps a GPS coordinate! We talked to a group of backpackers that were headed in, on a 20 day trip!! Back on the way, we covered the last remaining miles in the canyon quickly.... looking forward to a burger at Rays Diner in Green River! Soon we hit the highway, aired up the tires and the epic adventure was all but over. :(

My fuel light came on 5 miles outside of Hanksville and gladly didn't have to dip into the extra fuel. We had our dinner at Rays about 5 pm, then went our separate ways... thinking about the next trip and when we can get back into the Dollhouse and spend a few days exploring the area!

And some video from the trip....

Reactions: pvanweelden
#5 · (Edited)
super cool looking trip. I bet this experience taught the value of carrying extra parts ( TREs are common spare Jeep items to carry, as I am guessing you know) to your buddy with the rodeo. What a shame he had to miss such a great time but there will probably be future trips. I saw what broke on his truck and it just looked like something that coulda been swapped out pretty easily if one was in his toolkit.
Thanks for sharing ; great picts!

<edit;I I am gonna use this post to remind my wife and kids just how freaking awesome Utah is so that next vacation will be the winnebago with our crawling Jeep towed behind it!>

#6 ·
Yeah, there are a lot of things to think about with the parts failure. The TRE's had been upgraded, but the small size of the parts would have told me that 35's and 8" of lift were a bad idea. Secondly, the Rodeo should have been trail proven before heading into such a remote area as the first test. We're glad he broke on the dirt road, not WAY back in by the Dollhouse where it would have been a nightmare to get him out. In the end, Kevin and I salvaged the trip best we could.

Utah has some simply incredible places, when most people think of National Parks I don't think they realize the remote and challenging trails you can find in those Nat. Parks! I've been exploring Utah for years and still keep finding new & exciting places! You guys should come out, as you can see.... it's amazing out there.

Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p
#10 ·
Appreciate it, hard to take a bad photo out there! I have been out to the Maze Overlook and camped there before, but much of this trip was new to me... and did NOT disappoint! Highly recommended, I think anyone that loves rugged, remote places will enjoy a trip out to this area.

#15 ·
Welcome!

Talk about steep learning curve, but I feel his pain.
Having never offroaded before I had a "built" 07 Ford Ranger. "Built"...riiiiight. But I didn't know you needed more than lift and big tires.
First time offroading, first time in Moab, first obstacle of Behind the Rocks had me spitting out CV joint bearings from the front drivers side axle shaft. Talk about a pucker moment when new to all this.

I got roasted from the rest of the "Jeep" guys then had some beers that night round the camp fire. And then finished the rest of the trip in my wife's 2WD 99 Grand Cherokee :surprise:

Once again cool trip report. Now get them Alpine arms on as I'm kicking the idea of that setup around myself!
:grin2: Real world wheelin' can find your weak point quickly! I've been the broken guy before, it sucks. At least you had the 2WD Grand to fall back on! (I didn't even know they made a 2WD Grand!)

The Alpine Arms are in the works, I wanted to get them on before Thanksgiving but that's probably not happening... too much to do, not enough time. It doesn't help that I dragged home a CJ2a project last week that I've been tinkering with! >:)

#16 ·
Had she not owned it I wouldn't have believed it either. Even had a D35 rear end... yeesh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.