JKOwners Forum banner

What backspacing, 37x13.5x18?

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  TCdawg 
#1 ·
Alright so I hate to admit I that I need to resort to the "what do I need thread" but here I am.

I've got a set of Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's in 37x13.5x18 that I'll be taking off my wife's Ram soon. I thought I would be able able to run them on the truck but I'm having too many issues ranging from clearance problems to acceptable PSI on a 2500 so I'm going to suck it up and pull them. I'm hoping to able to sell them, however I'm exploring the option of maybe running them on my JK.

That said, this is my set up currently. I'm running a full Synergy 3" stage 3 suspension system with stock fenders on my Rubicon. If I wanted step and run the Coopers in 37x13.5x18 on my JK what backspacing would I be able to get away with and not have rubbing with an 18x9 rim? I've read that I "should" be able to get away with -12 offset/4.5bs, but can anyone confirm that or will I need more (or is that less when go further out).

Thanks in advance...

Kevin

#2 · (Edited)
You should be looking in the 3"-3.5" back spacing range. Your wheel width will also affect your clearance as well as the actual width of the tire which is most likely not 13.5" A 4.5" bs wheel is good for a 35"x12.5" tire not a 37"x13.5" tire.

#4 ·
OP, do you wheel the jeep?

If you wheel it, Dirtman has your answer. The issue is full stuff and lock..with just a 4.5" backspace you will be contacting your grill, sway bar arms, etc. You will want to either cut your stock fenders or go with an aftermarket flat fender...or bump stop a lot more to stay out of the full stock fender flare

If you lightly wheel it or just DD it they you can get away with what is a 4.5' backspace that Larry mentions here

With 18x9 wheels and 3.5" (5" wheel backspace plus 1.5" spacer)backspace I can just lightly touch the frame on the rear of the tire and just touch the sway bar with the front of the tire. I run the same STT Pro 37x13.5-18 as what your talking about.

#3 ·
With 18x9 wheels and 3.5" (5" wheel backspace plus 1.5" spacer)backspace I can just lightly touch the frame on the rear of the tire and just touch the sway bar with the front of the tire. I run the same STT Pro 37x13.5-18 as what your talking about.

#8 ·
Yeah, the Jeep does get wheeled, though not as much as I would like.

I'm gathering that it's not going to be worth my while to dick around trying to make the tires work on my Jeep since the biggest issue I'm going to run into is finding rims with enough backspacing.

Oh well, thanks for the info everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.