JKOwners Forum banner

Fat Tire Bikes?

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  family4x4 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well, hello Johnny Rain Cloud! :thefinger: I like hot, fat, greasy, sweaty bitches (like you when I get you around a tub of Crisco), so this sounds perfect! I current have a DB Response 26'er, I know lolz, 26'er talk about dinosaurs. I would think airing one of these pigs down would be a nice compromise between being sprung and using the tire as a spring. The increased contact patch would be beneficial in some of the sandy washes we have on the local trails where my standard 2.10 just sinks in like my dick into a warm apple pie. :D

I wonder if anyone on here actually owns one and rides it?

#4 ·
He has one in Alaska. They're fun as hell in the snow because I get great traction but, I agree with the above statement that it would be like flying around a fat chick or some turtles

#7 ·
I ride a Salsa Mukluk 2.

Fat tires are sweet on the snow but I also ride mine year-round cuz it's just as happy on normal single-tracks and excels in sand and pea gravel.

I won't be goin' back to the skinny tire shit.

Bought a JK to haul it to the trails.

#9 ·
I test rode a few a few months ago. Pig is an understatement, but they made up for it in a few places. Ungodly amounts of traction, and float for days. If you ride sloppy soft junk or loose material these will beat a 2.1-2.5 all day every day.

Where they suffer is weight, climbability, and agility, all 3 are key here in New England.

I ended up sticking to a 26-er. You can't be a 26 in terms of tight singletrack agility, though I'm itching to slap some 2.5 maxxis minions on it.

#10 ·
Gearing these things really low would probably be a lot of fun on the beach. I wouldn't expect high speeds but it would be fun. Long Island has miles of beaches to ride so packed sand would be a good ride.

LI terrain probably caters to fat bikes more than anything else; we have no rocks, no big elevation changes, lots of dirt and rooted singletrack and beach.

#12 ·
I still ride this bad boy...

You fancy pants with your "gears" and your "suspensions"....ppffft:thefinger:

I reach my optimal heart rate in like a block:thankyou:

Get a cheap one from wally world see if you like it...
then sell/gift it to get a better one...

Attachments

#13 ·
I bought my son a mongoose dolomite fatbike to get him in the game. He loves it and it's definitely fun to ride. I ride a scott genius lt40 and we both ride downhill and single track together. I may eventually get a fatty for myself just cause it's fun and something different.

#14 ·
Still haven't made any decisions on getting one, money has been going to other places for the last few months, so this got bumped to the bottom of the list while I ride my Diamondback 26'er.

#17 ·
I'm considering one of these as well, a Boris X5 to be exact. I live in a semi-rural area and I spend way too much time waiting for good weather to ride. I hate skiing and boarding, and I figure one of these would be killer for the snow-covered loose gravel paths we have traversing our area. They may be a bitch to climb on or maneuver, and we have almost 1000 feet in elevation gain on those trails just through my neighborhood....I'm a bike freak in good shape, but if doing this kills me then I should be in killer condition come spring. For six bills, why the hell not.

#18 ·
I love my fat bike. I have been riding Mt. bikes for over 30 years and this is one of my favorite bikes. A lot of people think they are snow bikes "wrong" I ride this bike on everything. I have taken this bike on every bike trail in Moab.
My bike only weights 27lbs so it's not heavy at all. If you want a good light fat bike be prepared to dish out $$$.

#20 ·
If you want a good light fat bike be prepared to dish out $$$.
Ain't that the truth. I've got too much wrapped up in my other rides as it is...which is why I'm going to buy cheap and beat that bike like it owes me money. I won't drop for carbon, a 1x, and Bluto setup like you've got unless it bites me hard.

#23 ·
This is the bike that I was originally referring to... cheap-ass components and heavy as shit. Getting into the higher-end Trek or Boris may be another story... idk, but I can't imagine any heavyweight Mongoose fatty is going to hold up very well with regularly scheduled beatings.

#24 ·
The thing with the Boris, or any other Motobecane you buy mail order, is that they don't receive the assembly and setup attention that a shop bike does. You either need to 1) know how to wrench the bike yourself or 2) take it to a shop to have it set up. They are a tremendous value if you don't mind doing one of those things. I wrench myself so they are a good buy. For that $600 bucks, a shop will get you for $1000+ for an equivalent machine. Hope I like it, because resale on the Motos is shite.

#25 ·
My boys mongoose gets regular beatings and yes it has shitty components that fail but it's just like a jeep. Every breakage is an opportunity to upgrade. So far we've had to replace the rear cassette, shifter, and now waiting on parts for the bb and crank. Still cheaper than a shop fatty..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.