JKOwners Forum banner

Miller Jeep Trail Tuesday September 2

4K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  MarcM 
#1 ·
I'm headed Dove hunting on September first (opening season) and will be headed back home from Wasco on Tuesay morning. I would like to run Miller Jeep trail.
Meeting time is 11:00am at the Pilot Gas Station on Frazier Mountain Road.
Let's Wheel!!!!

Date: September 2nd
Trail: Lockwood Creek Trail and Miller Jeep Trail
Duration: 3 - 4 Hours
Difficulty: Difficult (Black Diamond)
Trail Description: Steep rocky climbs and breathtaking views.
Meeting Spot: Pilot Gas Station
Meeting Time: 11:00am

I'm headed over to hunting camp on Agust 31st so I'll be checking the forum until that morning. After August 31st I won't have access to a computer so I'll be at the Pilot Gas station at 11:00am on Tuesday morning. we've got two other Jeeps coming so....We're There Dude!!!!!!!:thefinger:

#4 ·
Opps

I guess you can't post a run here and on JK Forum both...... ;) I'm in Fullerton and go past you to the Big Bear Runs. Let me know when your doing a weekend run there....

#15 ·
Thanks for posting the photos I had a great time as well. That was a nice run and the fastest I've ever done it personally. We hit the trail at 12:28pm and was at the top of Miller Jeep Trail at 3:00pm exactly. Nice meeting you and welcome to the forum.

#16 ·
Edward got his feelings hurt because I posted the run here as well. I refuse to listen to someone tell me where and when I can post. It's better that I am no longer a member of that forum. I don't want to be a part of a forum where the president mixes his personal problems with the members of the forum.

#19 ·
I'd be up for another MJT run as well. I need to find my Los Padres Topo map because I know of some other cool trails there too but it's been a long time. MJT is pretty benign and I found myself going out of the way to drive over boulders and such. It's got some really steep spots but it is a pretty easy trail. I'd really rather run it in a heavy downpour or early snow storm.

#23 · (Edited)
It was good to meet you guys! No damage, just some rim scrapes from "the squeeze" and some new gouges on my rock rails. I wish I could have spent a little more time on top of Alamo Mtn with you guys afterwards, but I had to get to my daughter's school function. I will post the few pictures I have ASAP.

#24 ·
There are many ways to get to MJT and I don't see how they could close it. The first section is not MJT. The first section is Lockwood Valley trail. I know It's changed but to me MJT starts at the plateau where the picnic table is. There are other ways in and those ways don't have gates. I need to explore all those other trails. It seems the USFS nazis turned the other trails into mc/quad trails though. I've ridden all the trails in Hungry Valley on my dirt bike except the western most part. If anybody lives close like I do and would like to go and explore let me know.

#25 ·
Alamo Mtn is closed in the winter because of the snow, so there is no way to get to the top of MJT. They lock the gate at Piru Creek. It used to be open year round, but, because of people getting stuck up there or crashing, they now close it when it snows. At least thats what they told me at the forestry station.

#26 ·
Maybe you're right. but I didn't see a gate at the plateau. It would be fun to find a way to do it though. It's worth checking out. I've gone to Mt. Pinos many times in deep snow and wished I had a 4X4 to go even deeper and off road. Now that I have one again I just need to go and spend some time there. I only live an hour away.

#27 ·
There is a gate at the top of MJT at the plateau too. I used to go up there in the snow, but that was about 13 years ago.

#28 ·
Yeah I remember seeing one on top but not at the bottom. I'm sure your right. Sounds like you've been there a lot more than I have. I'll take your word on it. There are some other places to wheel in the snow around there. On the way to Mt Pinos there is a road off to the right that leads to a few campgrounds that would be cool to check out. I went there a few years ago when I just had a 2wd truck and had to turn back because of the steep rutted trail.

#29 ·
I would never run Lockwood trail or Miller Jeep in the snow or the rain. Some parts are already narrow and the snow would just make things "not fun". Get rid of your 35's throw your lockers away, install them 33's and the open diffs and youll see just how fun miller can be. :thefinger:

I l;ove you too :grinpimp:

#30 ·
It was just interesting enough in a stock Rubicon! Here are a few pictures I took:

Me and "The Squeeze"

Coming off "The Squeeze", just before testing my rock rail.

Rob coming through "The Squeeze"

Bradlybob's turn

Justin making it look easy

This is the picnic area at the bottom of MJT, a nice place to stop.

Mr Bash's dog, Mr Dog.

#31 ·
Winter wheelin'

I just run the open trails in Big Bear in the winter. At least I have done so for the last several years in the Range Rover.... I sure had a great heater in it as well as heated seats, mirrors, windshield and rear window. I'll see how the jeep compares this year. :)

#32 ·
cool pics. We need to wheel again with this group.

yeah no way I would run miller with rain or even snow. just way too dangerous in a couple spots.

35's makes you run over everything. Sometimes I roll over the jeep in front of me

#37 ·
Sounds like my princesss enjoyed herself! I think it's time to become a 2 jeep family soon. I knew I should have kept the Cherokee. I enjoyed it too, really relaxed group. No inflated egos or raving alchoholics teaching the kids new vocabulary words. Just the right size too, enough to make it fun but not too many to make it tedious. Yes karnuvore, it is nice compared to sitting in a mud pit fighting off hordes of skeeters. The pics don't even begin to show how steep some of the trail sections are. Some of these sections would be scarey in a CJ-5 with 4" inches or more of lift and 33's or 35's.

This post has been deleted
#42 ·
I think I liked the Armenian music better than some of the stuff I hear in other videos! Looks like a good time. I especially liked your display of "How to shoot like a Gangsta!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.