JKOwners Forum banner

OEM Fog lights

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  2Door 
#1 ·
OK I got a question on OEM fogs lights that seems to make no sense to me. I bought a 2011 Sport, the lights are in the bumper, and wired. The light control on the steering column has a small knob that says slide but it will not move or slide in any way. The light control also does not have an automatic setting for the lights on it. So can I just get a different switch that has the fog light switch and automatic light position on it and swap it out to get both working?

Should I forget about the switch and just wire the lights directly from a new switch?

Appreciate any help

Randy
Bethlehem Pa

#2 ·
From your description it sounds like you are trying to turn them on without the lights being on. Rotate the switch so the park lights (marker lights whatever) are on and then pull the end of the switch out towards the door. This is how the OEM fogs function in my '08 JKUR YMMV. As far as the auto setting I'm unsure as the 2011's had the new interior. From experience with previous Chrysler products the Chrysler 300/charger/magnum cars had a small tab that prevented the switch from rotating to the 'auto' position, but Chrysler fitted all of the models with the light sensor regardless of trim level. So in those cars it was removing the switch plate, cutting off the tab, and reinstalling....I somehow doubt they did something like this with the Wrangler though.

#3 ·
Pics help. Not sure if the Sport models came with the factory fogs, but if not it may be that a PO added the lights and never finished making them functional by changing to the correct turn signal stalk. Like 3VOL said, only the very end cap of the stalk is supposed to slide out toward the door. The auto headlight option (or lack thereof) is a separate issue. Also like 3VOL said, the 2011 was the first year of the new interior, so it should be the same as my '12. The only thing I can think of is that it may be a trim level issue, I.e., that the Sport models were not originally equipped with the fogs.

#7 ·
But if you have the auto lights, leave the stalk pulled out and lights on, never have to think about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.