JKOwners Forum banner

MYGIG - Question

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  gthegato 
#1 ·
I am looking ay buying a MYGIG from a guy here in my town. He pulled it out of his Dodge and says it is high speed but wasn't sure about it if had a DVD player. It has the 20GB HD...

Question is: DO all MYGIG have DVD functionality???

My current system is the multi disc player (REQ) in a Rubicon with the external amp...

#2 ·
You need to be careful 'cuz some MYGIGs are high-speed and others are low-speed. I don't know which models use which though. But it goes beyond its ability to read a DVD. If you get the wrong type it just won't work, from what I understand.

Check eBay for people selling their MYGIGs. They usually list which type fits which models.

#4 ·
If you buy the wrong one $200 was way TOO expensive.

Spend 5 minutes, go to eBay and find out if JK and that Dodge share the same type...

#6 ·
that I do not know, sorry.

If he is local maybe you should drive there with your unit taken out so you can quickly plug his in to check that it works.

#7 ·
READ THIS.

It will answer all of your questions.

Also, something is wrong here....$200 for a MyGig?

1. It's broken.
2. It's stolen.
3. Dude doesn't have a clue.

RER's go for $950 +
REN's go for $450

Get the model number off it and you can identify exactly which one it is.

#10 ·
high speed RER goes in the Wranglers. RER have DVD. 200 bucks is suspicious but hey, maybe he needs the bucks. if he will allow you to bring it to a jeep dealer to have it checked out, that would be most helpful to you.

#11 ·
UPDATE:

Went and looked at it last night. The guy works as a local dealership and they have dibs on ones that are taken out. I used a website listed earlier and found the one he was selling is the right one for the wrangler. He helped me install it. (Was getting pretty excited by this time) Everything fired up perfect....... Except the open/close button didn't work. :bawling:

We did manually slide it open and it played a perfect picture for dvd's. We took it back out and he is taking it to work with him to see if they will repair under warranty. My fingers are crossed... $200 is an awesome price.

#12 ·
Went and looked at it last night. The guy works as a local dealership and they have dibs on ones that are taken out. I used a website listed earlier and found the one he was selling is the right one for the wrangler. He helped me install it. (Was getting pretty excited by this time) Everything fired up perfect....... Except the open/close button didn't work. :bawling:

We did manually slide it open and it played a perfect picture for dvd's. We took it back out and he is taking it to work with him to see if they will repair under warranty. My fingers are crossed... $200 is an awesome price.
Good thing you got to test it on the spot. Great save!

Good luck bro.

#15 ·
Hopefully they can/will fix the issue...

Is it an RER or REN? Do you already have Sirius? I assumed you did since you are replacing an REQ. If the new one is an RER (Nav) you'll need to install the GPS antenna as well.

When I replaced my REQ with a REN...it took Sirius "maybe" 5 minutes to activate my new radio, program my subscription to it and update my account. They even waived the $16 transfer fee and did it for free!

#16 ·
It is a REN and I do have Sirius. Was actually impressed after we plugged it in, screen showed Chrysler - turned key off and then back on and it showed JEEP with the correct time set... NICE!!!

I hope he can get it fixed as it would be a great deal....

#19 ·
UPDATE:

Well. the guy couldn't get it fixed, so I ended up buying one on ebay. :D

The guy did call me and tell me he could get it fixed under warranty if I would let them use my VIN. I told him that the VIN would say that stock I have the 6 disc REQ. He said they could change 1 letter in the VIN to make it match up. :pissed: Needless to say, on his craigslist ad, I marked him as fraud. Slightly illegal, using "slightly" very loosely!!! Glad I avoided that mess.

In the For Sale section, I have one for sale that I am posting for a co-worker if anyone is interested.... :beer:

Lost a sale today as the gentleman thought I was selling the one here that I posted about. Oh well... Hence, the updated post to state they are different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.