JKOwners Forum banner

Found: Frame mounted rock sliders with steps

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  TCdawg 
#1 ·
For years, people have been looking for frame mounted rock sliders with built-in steps, myself included. Yet, only a handful of companies make sliders with steps, and most of those mount to the body. While browsing, I found that Spohn Performance [manufacturer of performance suspension parts for Camaro/Mustangs and others] has two different types of frame mounted rock sliders with built-in steps. One style is like a side-step and the other is similar to the Smittybilt SRC Side Armor. Spohn makes their parts in the USA and have a great reputation in the Camaro/Mustang communities. I am not affiliated with Spohn in any way. Just wanted to let people know of another product.

2-door
http://www.spohn.net/shop/Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-Door/Armor-Protection/Rocker-Protection-Guards/

4-door
http://www.spohn.net/shop/Jeep-JK-W...or/Armor-Protection/Rocker-Protection-Guards/

#3 ·
Maybe I should have clarified a little better. They don't mount to the tub like the OEM side steps or Rubicon rails and you don't drill through the body to mount them.

#4 ·
Evo sliders can be had at a less steep pitch so they can be used as a step. I just made and welded on my own. The ones you posted look a lot like the shittybilt ones.

#6 ·
Plus, Vick from VKS Fab can make actual frame mounted sliders, have a step, be stupid strong and he is a vendor.

#7 · (Edited)
if you've ever searched for any JK part on eBay you've undoubtedly come across Spohn's 'Mountain Goat' stuff ( it's budget steering linkages come to mind) ,right? ive never bought any ,but they are USA built (brownie points!) products. I considered their Draglink then thought better and went Synergy way back when. Those sliders are no different than Sh1ttybilt sliders and you can get better, as stated.
Plus, what are you talking about them being frame mounted?

quote from page--->
"....They bolt directly to all three of the factory body mounts for maximum strength, rigidity and durability without any drilling or modifications using the existing factory hardware and they lay tight against the factory rocker panel lip for the ultimate in protection and maximum ground clearance.

The Rocker Boards� mount to all three of the factory body mounts via three "rock boxes"....."

If ya want a good step for the four door JK that is underrated and costs about the same as those, look at TeraFlex ( :shitstorm: ) extruded aluminum as it is very underated and light. I can attest to it being far tougher but not anything like a true frame mounted by VKS or PS; it is more for the step purpose, but they're a lot tougher than most have given credit for and doesnt take another 1-2 mpg off your already heavy JKU....

my fam needed a step.
these weigh 47lbs total
they have no welds.
I beat the snot out of my JKU as it is 80% offroad/20% on and meets massive rocks which I pivot upon these at times to no damage. I got 'em in raw and used bed liner for easy touch up.
sacrificed some steel strength for weight saving and flawless design execution. they look great.
would buy again.

"6063-T5
T5 temper 6063 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 20,000 psi (152 MPa) in thicknesses up to 0.5-inch (13 mm), and 19,000 psi (145 MPa) from 0.5 to 1.0-inch (25 mm) thick, and yield strength of at least 14,000 psi (110 MPa) up to 0.5-inch (13 mm) and 13,000 psi (103 MPa) (from 0.5 to 1.0-inch (25 mm). It has elongation of 8%
"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.