JKOwners Forum banner

Tailgate Maximum Weight

13K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  SilverBulletJKU 
#1 ·
I can't seem to find the weight capacity of the tailgate of a 2015 JKU. Does anyone know the specific capacity and how long before the hinges start to bend at maximum capacity?:th_pray:

#2 ·
There is no practical answer to this question.

The Owner's Guide states 50 lbs but that obviously includes a good safety margin. In practice, it highly depends on securing the spare tight against the tailgate and where you drive. Offroad where the spare is moving up down constantly is much different that driving on a smooth road.

IMO, with a little care you can get away with a typical 33x12.5 but anything larger should have an aftermarket carrier, preferably mounted on the bumper.
BTW, it's not just hinges, the whole tailgate can warp.

#10 ·
I ran a stock carrier and 35s on my 1st jk. Was fine until I dropped down and the spare hung up. Bent the tailgate at the hinges and popped some welds. As soon as I bought the new jk the tire carrier was one of my 1st purchases.

Sent by packets

#17 ·
I do have 1 broken spot weld, and my tailgate was already tweaked at the bottom corner where I closed something in it. Thats why I just decided to run it on the gate and find out what happens, but so far, life is good.

#18 ·
I ran a 35" on my stock carrier. My tailgate is now bent. I don't just drive around town though, I wheel it. In my opinion, get a tire carrier before it happens to you. I wish I did. No sense waiting after reading this post, you'll end up with a bent tailgate, then have to buy something anyway.

#19 ·
Thanks guys. I wheel about 2-4 times a month so not a whole lot. I'll just keep it on the stock carrier. The Trail Grapp and rim I have on there now weighs about 85lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.