JKOwners Forum banner

Oil Change Warning Stopped

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  CamoCop 
#1 ·
Has anyone had their oil change warning stop working? I would always get a warning when I was at 2500 miles or whatever it was set to until now. I checked my records and noticed that I should have gotten a oil change indication quite a while ago.

Any ideas of what can cause this?

#3 ·
Mine has worked like clock work until now. Its not a huge deal that it stopped working but it was like an alarm clock. I relied on it to remind me. I would really like to know why it stopped though...

The only thing I can think of is I eclipsed 50K but that cant be it. :(

#4 ·
I'd like to know what caused it to quit working also. It quit working on my 2012.

#7 ·
Wow....

#11 ·
This morning after start up it made a chime with no message.

I stopped to get gas and as I was leaving, low and behold it pops the message up.

I am very meticulous about my JK and keep all receipts and have a log book. It is very unlikely that I both skipped an entry and threw out a receipt for the oil filter so at this point I am convinced she is just F'in with me. We shall see if the message pops up from here on out.

#12 ·
Don't know if my 2014 is supposed to have an oil change indicator, or how often it should come on, but at 9,000 miles and just over a year I have never seen one.

Maybe the newer ones are set for higher mileage? Or maybe mine just doesn't work either. I do feel like I remember seeing something about it in the manual. Maybe it's only on some models?

#13 ·
For 2013 My 1st oil change light came on at 7000 miles.

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change
indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled
maintenance.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will
illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures,
and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required”
message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil
message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset.
NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles
(16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first.

#15 ·
I've only received the warning once and it was after I already performed 2 oil changes. I change my oil every 6,000 miles and I'm at just over 27,000 now. Haven't heard it since.

#16 ·
Just figured I'd update because I thought it was kinda funny. My oil change indicator came on yesterday, 9,201 miles. As described above, it made the chime while I was driving, but no message came up. I didn't think much of it and stopped at a store. When I came out of the store and started the Jeep it made the chime again but this time it said change oil on the dash.

So it seems mine works, it just waits much longer than I would. Now I just have to look up how to re-set the warning ;).

#17 ·
For all the people who have their warning quit working does the display still show " Oil life remaining" and then a percentage etc ?

I had my first oil change done a couple of months ago and they forgot to reset the oil life and it has been going off every since :( I am due for a change so I'll make sure they will reset it

#18 ·
Read your owners manual, it has instructions on how to reset it yourself.

#20 ·
no need to change your oil with the 3.8L. it burns enough oil that you just keep topping it off and change your oil filter every 5k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.