JKOwners Forum banner

4Wheel Drive & Sport Utlity Closing Down

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  LeighP 
#1 ·
Read the editors comments in this latest 4WD&SU and you'll learn the moron publishers who fired Phill Howell as editor are now closing the mag down. Apparently 4WD&SU-type articles will now be found in Four Wheeler. So, you'll be able to find your JK-specific stuff in between installs of F250 & Dodge Ram stripe kits & bedliners. Publisher really has a handle on the JK world....said no one ever.

BTW, many thanks to Phil Howell for the great work he did with the magazine over the years.

#3 ·
Almost all of those mags are published by Source Interlink Media, including FourWheeler and JP. They did a huge shift up and they are apparently not done. FourWheeler has Fred Williams as the Editor, which is cool cause he seems fairly normal, but still it's a shame they are shutting down 4wdSU.

I found Crawl really enjoyable to read at first, but they kinda migrated towards race coverage, and then it seems like they are doing race coverage exclusively. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm looking for more trail stuff that I can identify with.

#6 ·
JP is changing. They lost Cappa, then he got canned from the other place. They lost Hazel, he's still somewhere and now Pete Trasborg is the editor. Plus, Dr. Vern, after this issue, is gone. Which kinda sucks. They don't really have many staff members now, everyone is just going to be a contributing writer.

#7 ·
BTW, many thanks to Phil Howell for the great work he did with the magazine over the years.
X2... One of the nicest and most professional guys I've dealt with in my years of off-roading and Jeeps. Phil is one of the truly good guys in the sport/ industry. Thank you to Phil Howell for all his help and expertise.

#10 ·
Wel, yeah, for years I've subscriped to Petersen's, 4WD&SU & JP. Just a shame to lose the latter, as Phil put a unique spin on things and had trail reports you couldn't find elsewhere.

#11 ·
Just got my issue saying it's the last one. This sucks as it was my last off-road mag I subscribed to. I even won a Geostash in '09. Oh well, I'll just have to rely more on ADVrider for trip ideas and Jeep forums for mod ideas.

#12 ·
Got back in town and my last issue was here as well. Im gonna miss the trail reports with the gps coordinates and the mainly Jeep specific articles.

I want to know what is happening to the remainder of my subscription? Are we getting four wheeler in 4wdsu's place to finish out our paid for subscription.

#14 ·
Source Interlink Media - apparently now called "TEN - The Enthusiast Network"...these are the same asshats that ride in, buy up magazines then shut them down and amalgamate the subject matter into one POS mag that covers nothing except mainstream stuff. They killed a number of Pontiac specific magazines and offer no refunds to subscribers, instead switching them to other magazines whether they like it or not.
I ended up throwing 6 months of subscriptions in the rubbish because as a Pontiac owner, I wan't interested in reading about 5 lt Mustang stripe kits......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.