JKOwners Forum banner

Receiver/Speaker Upgrade & Subwoofer Installation

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  codemaster94 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I plan on getting my whole stereo system changed in time and I was just curious what your recommendations were.

• RECEIVER
= What Receiver I would need to keep Uconnect/Bluetooth/Radio Controls for my steering wheel working and in use with the new Stereo? I've been looking into this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX997/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X997.html?tp=5684
and using this as an adaptor. It'll keep everything but Uconnect: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4CH11/PAC-RP4-CH11-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

• SPEAKERS
= What speaker size should I get? I know 6 1/2"s are the right size, but will I have to put in new brackets or anything to hold them in place? Going for all genres. I've noticed that my Roll Bar Right speaker has been "rattling" or vibrating or something. Here's what I've been looking at these but can't decide: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=52000&cc=01&compareItems=01|107DB6501&compareItems=01|500SPR60C&compareItems=01|2064CSS654&compareItems=01|130TSA1605

• SUBWOOFER
= What subwoofer would work best to stay out of the way of things, but still sound heavy? I listen to every genre so I'm looking for an all-rounder type of subwoofer. One that I can show off to my friends for rap, one that doesn't sound too bass-heavy for Rock/Pop. I've been looking at this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694512/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html?tp=113

I'm not so sure on what to do for an amp. Any recommendations? I'll have the 4 speakers in the front and roll bar, along with the 2 tweeters on the dash. I'll also have a sub, so that's about 5-7 channels? Once again, I'm not too sure on that.

All recommendations would TREMENDOUSLY help me in the long run. Thanks again guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
My humble recommendation,

First, if you want to follow the pack use the search function in the upper right corner of the screen.

Second, it looks like you used quotes to post hyperlinks (clicking on them does not work).

Third, refer to the methods used on here as a base and build it like you want it.

#3 ·
I am a JL guy so see my sig for specifics. . . . though I will tell you a HUGE difference once new wires were ran and speakers were amp'd. Also, 7.7" Marine speakers were a PERFECT fit for the soundbar.

#4 · (Edited)
My ipad deleted my reply 1/2 way through typing a huge reply, so you're getting the abridged version now, lol. I used to design sound systems for people, though... PM me if you want further guidance.

Head unit - entirely dependent on budget. Alpine makes a couple nice ones at a reasonable price that you can use your current mic and steering wheel controls, and you'll also get a better nav system and DVD capability. Expect to pay $600-900, though.

Speakers - any 6.5" speakers will work, but some will require a mounting plate for the rear sound bar. Kicker makes a plug-n-play speaker set, which can be found on Quadratec's website, although they are overpriced. You'll be better off picking your speakers after you pick your 4-channel amp as that will determine how much power you'll have to play with (see below). If your budget allows, look into Alpine speakers - crystal clear quality.

Tweeters - I've always hated how aftermarket tweeters sound when powered through an amp, so one trick I've always used is to run the tweeters through the head unit power as opposed to splicing into the front speakers, which are powered through the amp. You can keep the stock tweeters, but you might as well look for a set of 6.5" speakers sold with tweeters... it'll only set you back about $10 extra, and the clarity is worth it.

Amps (yes, plural) - a 5-channel amp is pretty uncommon, and 6-channel amps aren't really designed to run 4 speakers and a sub (usually 4 speakers and 2 6x9's). A better bet is to get a 4-channel amp to run your 6.5's and a mono amp to drive your sub(s). In either case, you'll want an AMP that has as much RMS power as your speakers/subs have max power (ie. if your 4 speakers combined are 600w max, you should have a 600w RMS 4-channel amp). Don't be fooled my the max wattage numbers... always look at RMS first. As far as brands, stay away from Rockford, Bolt, or any other Best Buy stuff... do your research and get a JL, Kicker, or Alpine within your budget. Same goes for the mono amp.

Sub - if you have the stock sub, it's an 8", and it's nothing special. A 10" sub would be what you're looking for... enough bass for the rap songs, but not so much that you have to lower it for rock/pop. You can look into buying a box for a 10" sub, or if you're good with fiberglass, it would be cheaper to make one... very tedious, though.

BTW, I'm totally skipping the wiring, capacitors, and other odds and ends that will have to be taken into consideration... long story short, just realize that you're opening up a huge can of worms if you're looking to power your speakers externally.

Good luck!

#5 ·
I bought some after market RF speakers and wired them into the sound bar. On top of that, I took out the old sub and installed a JL stealth box and Sony 1000w amp. It sounds great. Plus having the head liners on my hard top, it takes a lot of vibration out. Now I just need to do the fronts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.