JKOwners Forum banner

PSC Crusher flares warped

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  iNick 
#1 ·
Has anybody had this problem with their rear crusher flares? My passenger rear flare is an awful fit, spent 5 hours just trying to get the flare to mount without huge gaps and with all bolts (nutsert bolts) screwed in. I couldn't accomplish either task so I laid it out on the flat concrete and it has a good wobble to it, roughly half inch at each end when rocking back and forth. I laid the other rear flare on the same spot of concrete and zero wobble. Lays nice and flush on the floor. Haven't tried installing the driver rear due to not being able to install passenger side. Anybody ever seen this with their PSC flares?

I bought these used trying to save myself $400, so I can't send these backto PSC. Lesson learned.

Also the forward brackets don't fit one bit, the bracket holes doesn't match up to the flare holes. Even if they did line up, the bracket hits the Jeep body making the bottom hole not even come close to being where the holes should be.

Major headache, frustrating beyond belief. Can't believe once (if) I get these mounted on, I have to take them back off to drill more holes then having to fight them back on. Then again taking them off to get them painted and finally fighting them back on. Not looking forward to this process. But they sure are beefy SOBs...

See less See more
#4 ·
If you have not already done so go on PSC website and download the installation instructions for the rear flair's. I installed my set on my 2011 painted which is incorrect according to the directions but it worked out. I do not recommended it unless you have a extra set of talented hands. You do have to take them off a few times to get all the nut certs in. I had one nut cert give me a issue and I had the proper tool.
As for the brackets they go between the inner body and the outer fender well. A nut and bolt goes through the bracket, sheet metal and fender.

What is your location, perhaps someone in your area has installed a set before and can offer some hands on help?

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've downloaded the instructions and read through it half a dozen times to ensure if I'm doing anything wrong. I just don't get how the smaller brackets don't fit anywhere on the flares, not matching up to the holes no matter how I position it. I discovered today that the flares were contacting the Jeep body in a couple areas which is why it couldn't fully fit flush, been grinding and knocking dents in the Jeep. Still doesn't help the fact that the flare wobbles like a baby crib when on the ground. I don't think it's possible to bend these suckers flat, would have to take a tank just to bend the metal!

One question, all PSC flares fit both 4-door and 2-door models right? I don't see an option on their website specifying which model you have when purchasing.

I'm located in Santa Maria, CA. About 3 hours north of Poison Spyder themselves. But since I bought these used I don't think they'd be willing to help me out too much.

#7 ·
Can you take a picture of the support bracket by itself? If it the one I am thinking of, I believe you have it in the wrong spot.

Mine were also a PITA to fit, but almost 2 years later and absolutely no issues.

#11 ·
Okay those came through alright.

But thanks for looking AXSYS. I actually came across your post today about the fitment of the flares. When I saw you grinded some of the flare and pounded part of the Jeep in, it made me do the same to these areas since they were coming in contact in similar areas. Although I'm having to grind off a whole heck of alot. I hope I'm being an idiot and putting these brackets in the wrong place, but I've kind of exhausted all other options to where they could possibly fit. Just doesn't make since to me. I can understand the flares not matching up perfectly to the Jeep, but the bracket should match up perfectly to the flare. The front one has zero fitment issues.

#12 ·
Here is a photo of what that bracket looks like installed on my Jeep:

My flare measure about 3-3/8" from hole to hole, so yours is definitely drilled in the wrong spot. I'm not sure how they would even make that mistake. Perhaps you could try to drill a new hole in the support bracket to match?

#13 ·
That was my plan, not to concerned drilling a hole or two. But I can't get the bracket to fit inside the pocket, it sticks out past the flare edge when it hits the body of the Jeep. I'll have to play with it more, see if I can sit it higher in the pocket or something. I'll attempt the other side to see if it fits any better since it isn't warped. It should fit more flush with the Jeep.

I contacted PSC to see if they knew why my measurements are off. These flares came off a 2 door, maybe there's a difference for the 4 door.

#15 ·
Update:

I've been able to work on the flares a little by little after work this week. Making headway. With much thanks to AXSYS for his post a few years ago, I found out the flares were contacting the Jeep tub inside the flare notch out. After a lot of grinding and fitting, I'm able to get these things to fit decently without huge gaps. The bent/warped flare is still a pain, but I was able to get three countersunk bolts in. Using these three as my guide to fit, I had to round out the other holes to get bolts through and threaded. Tonight I'm getting the brackets on, I hear that's a lot of fun.

And much thanks to Poison Spyder for their awesome customer service and help. Even tho I bought these used from someone else, PSC gave me a call directly to help me with my bracket issue. Culprit, I had first generation flares with second generation brackets. Not sure why the previous owner bought the 2nd generation brackets or why he had them. But nothing a few additional drilled holes can't fix.

Bottom line, when buying used don't assume everything is as it would come from the factory. And have patience and a good friend fitting beefy aftermarket parts.

Can express how awesome PSC and Rick from PSC are. Highly recommend these guys and their products. It's on my list to get their bombshell diff covers and hood louver. And no, I'm not buying those used, getting them brand spanking new. For $90 and $150, it's a steal buying new anyway.

pictures to come once fully mounted!

#16 ·
Update:

I've been able to work on the flares a little by little after work this week. Making headway. With much thanks to AXSYS for his post a few years ago, I found out the flares were contacting the Jeep tub inside the flare notch out. After a lot of grinding and fitting, I'm able to get these things to fit decently without huge gaps. The bent/warped flare is still a pain, but I was able to get three countersunk bolts in. Using these three as my guide to fit, I had to round out the other holes to get bolts through and threaded. Tonight I'm getting the brackets on, I hear that's a lot of fun.

And much thanks to Poison Spyder for their awesome customer service and help. Even tho I bought these used from someone else, PSC gave me a call directly to help me with my bracket issue. Culprit, I had first generation flares with second generation brackets. Not sure why the previous owner bought the 2nd generation brackets or why he had them. But nothing a few additional drilled holes can't fix.

Bottom line, when buying used don't assume everything is as it would come from the factory. And have patience and a good friend fitting beefy aftermarket parts.

Can express how awesome PSC and Rick from PSC are. Highly recommend these guys and their products. It's on my list to get their bombshell diff covers and hood louver. And no, I'm not buying those used, getting them brand spanking new. For $90 and $150, it's a steal buying new anyway.

pictures to come once fully mounted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.