JKOwners Forum banner

Pillarguardz limbrisers by Pat Harrison

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Rob50lx 
#1 ·
After suffering some damage from when my wife clipped a tree; I decided to purchase these new Pillarguardz by Pat Harrison. He is a vendor on here and his website is http://www.trailskinz.com/

I really wish I had these before the damage; but, at least they help cover the scars and should protect against future mishaps.

Damage from Jeep meeting Tree:thankyou:

New Pillarguardz arrived in the mail!:bounce:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
1. These steps are not necessary and removal of the plates is not required. I started by removing the windshield mounting plates to clean and wax this area since it will be covered by the PillarGuardz. I was surprised how dirty it was behind the plates. I applied wax to the mounting surface of the windshield and also the front painted surface of the windshield plates. I was curious what was behind the plates and I couldn't ignore all the dirt. I also applied a couple of heavy coats of PlastiDip to the back of the windshield plates.

2. I also applied a couple of heavy coats of PlastiDip to the back lower portion of the PillarGuardz where they contack the painted surface of the windshield plates. Pat recommend some double-sided tape for this area; but, I want to try the PlastiDip first. I applied PlastiDip to the back of the hood plates where they contact the painted surfaces of the hood.

3. I added some rubber washers form Ace Hardware to go in between the PillGuardz and the windshield plate. I did this because there was a recess area for the original torx bolts and washers.

4. The plates that mount to the hood came unfinished in stainless steel. I painted them with trim black and purchased rubber grommets from Ace Hardware to finish off the holes. I don't know how long the grommets will last with the cable hooked onto the plates.

Removed factory windshield plate

Applying PlastiDip to back of windshield plate

Notice the PlastiDip on the back side of the PillarGuardz

It is hard to see but here are the 4 rubber washers I added on each side.

#3 ·
5. I installed the painted hood brackets under the hood latches. 10mm wrench is needed to remove the 2 bolts from each side.

6. I installed the PillarGuardz using the existing 4 factory Torx bolts on each side.

7. Finally install the cable between the plate on the hood and the PillarGuardz. Adjust tension using the turn buckle.

The 2 10mm bolts to remove the hood latch

The plate installed under the hood latches.

The PillarGuardz being installed on each side.

Cable Installed

#4 ·
more random pictures

View from driver's seat

New sticker added:)

Side views

#9 ·
Yes I put rubber grommets in both brackets. The hood bracket hole is smaller than the pillar bracket hole. I did it to minimize paint chipping. I don't know how well the rubber grommets will hold up under actual use; but, they look good after a week of driving around town with the cables installed.

Unfortunately I don't know the size of the grommets I used. I had the brackets in hand and just matched them up to what Ace Hardware had available.

Rob

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.