JKOwners Forum banner

Hellfire HID's by Rebel Off-Road

28K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  DiscoBayJoe 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I am Doc’s wife Bev. I don’t post a whole lot because if anything breaks or goes wrong I just have him fix it :laughing: Not that I am not mechanically skilled, its that he is my husband ,and I have female powers :thefinger: The other benefit of having Doc as my husband is I get to steal his stuff for my JK :laughing: his rims, his springs, his bumper…hey, he is not using them any more. So when he had this pile of lights taking over my living room I told him I was testing a set. Especially after dragging me out at night to flip a high beam switch in the middle of an abandoned parking lot while he takes measurements, or having me help him with Excell because he is an office software retard or repeatedly stealing my stock headlights to do this project.
So I chose the Hellfire HID kit from Rebel Off-road because it came with pretty stickers :p Well, it did :laughing: But it also throws some great light patterns.

It was all nicely packed in a small cardboard box with very simple instructions. Actually the hardest part of the installation was removing the grill. Doc said he would not help me with any of it because he wanted a “novice review” so the threads on here that others wrote came in handy with taking the grill off.

After removing the grill and old headlights I removed the old bulbs and carefully put in the HID bulbs without touching them. Then I ran all the wires though the back. They only plugged in where they were supposed to plug in, so there is only one way and nothing to mess up. Plug the adapter into one of the old headlight sockets and that part is done. I did not take any pictures as it went by pretty quick.

The wiring is basic and not hard to figure out. There is the hot wire that you put on the positive of the battery.

And then the ground that I just used an existing ground bolt for.

I stuck the fuse by the fuse box so if something goes wrong I don’t have to hunt it down.

See less See more
#2 ·
I tucked in the ballasts and zip tied them in place so they would not go anywhere. That was pretty much it and the entire thing took maybe 45 minuets including pictures.

The high and low beam are done by the base of the light moving. Low Beam:

High Beam:

The light is defiantly more blue than the factory headlights but not annoyingly so.

Now Doc told me these are not DOT approved and I understand this….as my Jeep is parked next to his jeep...covered in enough lighting to signal aircraft….on beadlocks… so in my “off-road” testing this is what I noticed.

Holy crap they are BRIGHT! Way more bright than the factory lights. I can actually see where I am going and the “trail edges” are much more defined and any “trail hazard“ is obvious. The pattern is very clean and it does not seem to blind the other “off-roaders” at all. I was surprised because I am used to getting blinded by the purple headlight ricers around here and these do not seem to have that problem.
And in a real off road environment these would be great to see the real trail hazards and see any craters in the horse pasture. The Hellfire kit by Rebel off-road is a significant improvement at a very reasonable cost and I am more than happy with the results.

#4 ·
Ok question for you doc. Clear something up for me. Depending upon which day of the week I can ask 5 people and get 6 answers. DOT approval relates to whether it is legally allowed to be used on the road? Or relates to whether it came come from a manufacturer OEM that way? Can you be cited for a piece of equipment on your vehicle not being DOT approved? Thanks bud.

#6 ·
Not so much legally, but safely. Most tickets will read "unsafe" something or another.

DOT while using SAE guidelines and thier own set regulations for a lot of shit, but lets stick with lights. The guideline say what color goes where, min/max output, acceptable pattern and sometimes material. This is to prevent people from having purple and white brake lights made of tinfoil and melted Jolly Ranchers :D This is ON ROAD RULES only. off-highway is fair game.

It applies to all factory and aftermarket parts that are controled by that regulations for DOT for on-road use. Its your call if you get approval, for example Delta Tech has both DOT approved and not approved lights for sale.

the cert is issued with a specific combination that was tested. For example a headlight tested with a set size Halogen bulb is given a good to go with THAT Halogen bulb, not any other. Because once you move the bulb or envelope placement you have signifigantly altered the light patterning.

Can you be cited for a piece of equipment on your vehicle not being DOT approved? FAWK YES YOU CAN !! Google search police cracking down on HID conversions in the ricer community.

myself, I have never been ticketed but I do know people who have been for headlights and tinted markers/stops.

#8 ·
It helps!:lol:

Doc....I think you need to change your title to office software retard :thefinger:

Nice write-up, Bev! Need some pics of the actual light output, though. Drag Doc's ass out there and make him snap some for ya'. Goody and I still need to take comparison pictures between the Trucklite Gen II's he's got and my 35W AC HID Projectors retrofits.
We have some pictures of it that are in his article.

I do have to take some of the blame for the spread sheet. I had to do a quickie job setting it up for him and I goofed a little on the commands.:emb:

#7 ·
Doc....I think you need to change your title to office software retard :thefinger:

Nice write-up, Bev! Need some pics of the actual light output, though. Drag Doc's ass out there and make him snap some for ya'. Goody and I still need to take comparison pictures between the Trucklite Gen II's he's got and my 35W AC HID Projectors retrofits.

#10 ·
Short Bus...

I am about to order projectors- this week. Can you please link or PM some pics of your setup? I cant see Doc's groundshattering lighting chart illustrating that this is a bad purchase- though I am eager to see it!

#12 ·
Did you have an issue with the passenger side factory headlight harness not securely clicking into the Hellfire wiring? Mine is very loose, and will not click or lock in even with the factory red tab pushed.

#33 ·
Bump for great customer service.
Sorry Rebel but I "sorta" tricked you :thefinger:

One of the ballasts in the test vehicle died so I called up Rebel and explain to them it died, tested it between the 2 sides, it was dead.

I never told them that it was on a T&E vehicle or that it was in any way tied into me or JKO, just acted like a normal customer.

3 days later there are brand new ballasts at ZERO charge sitting at my door.

THAT is how a company is supposed to treat customers :beer: no trying to blame them, no stupid crap, no difficulty contacting them, no joining their forum or facebook.
Cut and dry basic customer service. Spend your money here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.