What should I do with the old gears

#2 ·
-Play a challenging game of horseshoes
-Wear it as a crown
-Weld some flat steel to the bottom and make an ashtray
-Donate it to Goodwill
-Find another one instead of buying dumbbells

#3 ·
I finally threw mine out after not being able to sell 'em.

I do have some 4:88's that I can hopefully sell, but it's def harder to get good money for 4:10's...jmo.

Pinion gears can be turned into pretty wild looking bump-stops too lol.

#12 ·
Keep them as spares! Ive broke more then one ring in pinon while on wheeling trips and I never trailer my jeep. I know there not the same ratio as your front axle but at least youll be able to get your jeep back up and running. And you never know when youll be able to help out a fellow jeeper if they happen to break down.

#13 ·
Eh? I can't think of a situation where different ratios, trying to setup a gear set on the trail and wasting all that time would do you a whole lot of good.

I don't plan on carrying a shim kit or press for a pinion bearing, I suppose you could put one back on your stock pinion, but even then you couldn't estimate the proper shim for the pinion. You could completely lock up and destroy the "spare" set of gears by just pressing on a random pinion shim and trying to run it..

If your front gears went then, you'd just pull the axle shafts, drain the fluid and drive home. If the rear gears went you'd just knock off the ring gear [if you had to], pull the rear driveshaft and drive home with front wheel drive. Different ratios would completely remove the ability to reuse 4x4 on a trail. Either way you'd be able to get home with one axle.

I'll leave the 15#-20# of gears at home.

#14 ·
Story time:

Few years back I was in Hot springs AR. Broke my rear ring and pinion as well as my carrier and I drove there from Ft. Worth. Was able to pull a carrier out of an old Jeep Wagoneer, yes they will work in a jeep JK non rubicon, and a buddy had a spare 4.10 gear set. Went to a local shop in Hot springs had them pull the old bearings, put them on the new pinion and carrier and drove it all the way back home and then some. That gear set stayed in there for several months until I could afford to upgrade to 5.13s. Even then I kept the same carrier until I stripped the spider gears out.

I agree that the gear set up isnt going to be perfect, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get back home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.