JKOwners Forum banner

285/70/17s on stock ?

13K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Vladivar 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm new here and looking for some help on tire sizing. My JK is currently all stock and I wanted to know if I can run 285/70/17s on the 17" stock rims? I really want to put a set of trail grapplers on and want a slightly larger tire but without a lift I not sure of any issues. Eventually want to upgrade to a 17"x9" wheel but can't quite pull that off right now so I'm looking at this size so I can still move them later. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I'm running the 285/70/17 on stock Rubicon Polished Aluminum rims. I went with Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires & got them from Discount Tire. They'll fit the rim just fine on the rim.

The tire is wider, tough. I don't know if they'll rub on anything or not. I switched to this tire size, the same time I added my 2.5" lift and (the required) 1.5" wheel spacers. Therefore, I can't tell you if they would rub on anything or not. That would be a question for your chosen tire center.

#3 ·
I wouldn't recommend putting a 285 on a 9-inch-wide rim - that would look rather silly. The original 7.5-inch-wide rims will be perfect for your 285's. Even 315's work great on the OEM wheels, but that's as wide as I'd recommend. If you insist upon using aftermarket wheels, look for a 17x8 instead of a 17x9.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.