JKOwners Forum banner

JK Submarines.... Post up

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  thaduke2003 
#1 ·
I'll start off with somebody else's Jeep. :thefinger:

A new guy in my local forum posted these pictures of his friend's brand new Rubicon with 2000 miles on it. This was his first time off road with it and he's afraid the guy may not ever go again.

He said it took seven hours to get home, but he was able to drive it. They kept having to clean the radiator and it would over heat after about 20 minutes. The fan was also burned up from mud being caked in there.

I recommended changing every fluid in the Jeep. Believe it or not, he said the door seals held and the Jeep didn't get much water inside.

I have not met the guy and I hope he is not offended by me posting these pictures, but here goes.

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=3618.0

See less See more
#7 ·
One of the guys I wheel got into some trouble trying to recover some guy in a TJ who thought his was indestructible:

In the above pic you can see the water line on his glove box.

Final damage report:
ALL fluids had to be flushed including tranny and t case
Passenger side air bag module dead (dealer is covering, for the LAST time they said)
Fan dead (dealer covering)
CB killed (but I got that all cleaned for him and working again)

I wasnt on this run but I did it last year and new what the water would be like. Regardless if a guy looks at you and says "I need a new engine anyway" and proceeds to do a known deep water crossing....I am thinking he can recover himself....lol....

#8 ·
^ Understandable. We have some bigtime morons up here in NY who ruin perfectly good trails so that DLC (Dutchess [our county] Land Conservancy) closes them. There are idiots everywhere, and sadly they have to ruin it for the people who are smart and respectful. Sad... :( (sniffle) :) Mark W.

#19 ·
We have the same prob in the NJ pines, there's always some idiot who tries to start his own trail or trashes the place. The tree huggers are always watching trying to shut down the trails.

#17 ·
Depends how "up the road you mean" It was in an area called Lingham lake here in Ontario Canada ;)

Wow Pink, I think that one qualifies as a submarine for sure. I hope it never happens to me. :shaking:
Ya, Dave (the guy who is sunk) is just getting into the whole offroad thing. There were some "experienced" guys there who made some bad decisions that he listened to unfortunately. I had the distinct pleasure of helping him clean up his rig. Needless to say those Yes Essential seats sure do come clean with a steam cleaner lol. It cost him though, I think over $700 just to drain and flush all of his oils. Plus his fan still isnt working right.

On a side note though, he is the one who made the cool light bar
....the IPF lights arent as waterproof as you would think, but the KCs on his bumper held up just fine.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Y'all is crazy !!!:D

#23 ·
I generally steer clear of water whenever I can, but twice I've ended up flooding the inside. The last time I forgot to drain the trunk cubby hole and it was still full of water a week later :shaking:

This was when I first got the JK and the passenger side was under water. No one took any pics the second time, but the taillights where underwater.

Attachments

#26 ·
The first pic shows how deep the left front went in one of the holes. The water was just over headlight level. I go really slow through water so I was OK with that one. All my vents are extended up to around the bottom of the glass height. This one plugged up my radiator big time and stopped the fan. (Both cleaned up nicely afterwards)

I didn't get any pictures of me in this hole. I was more occupied with getting out. I was stuck for about 4 minutes. This one took out my belt tensioner pulley from running underwater for 4 minutes. You can see the waterline about 10 inches above the bottom of the doors. I clean my door seals before every wheelin trip and this is why. They held. The other side wasn't in so deep. The water was just even with the door sill and didn't come in till I splashed it in getting out and hooking up a snatch strap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.