JKOwners Forum banner

Making a rear bumper

27K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  Hickey 
#1 ·
Started my rear bumper build. Thought I would post some pics along the way.

Cut out the crossmember

Started bending the top tube and making templates for the brackets

Cut the frame back

No going back now :th_pray:

See less See more
#33 ·
Very nice job!

#37 ·
Looks great, something else to keep in mind is how close the bumper is to the body. I've seen a couple cases in person where when the jeep flexed, the body flexed on the mounts and contacted the bumper. It may not be an issue with yours, I'm looking at this on my phone so it may not be as close to the body as it appears

#42 ·
That's a nice fuckin bumper.

#45 ·
Thanks guys.

If you build one and want a tow hitch with it. You will have to make it either sit farther back or lower. The Plate on the bumper is only 1" from the body pan where the hitch would go. I was planning on putting a hitch on mine when I started I just couldn't get it to work the way I wanted.

#49 · (Edited)
I did something similar but left the rear crossmember in place. My departure angle obviously sin't as good as Got Muds, but I wanted to leave it since I tow a 3k pound trailer. Mine's done, just have to clean, prep and paint.

Got Mud, you going to Frostbite this weekend?

Here's a shot before we were done, but you get the idea. There are a few other plates around the receiver that bolt to the crossmember, as well as two struts that run from the frame rails to the curved section of the top tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.