JKOwners Forum banner

Shenandoah National Park

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  RyanJKU12 
#1 ·
Im planning on a short 3-4 day vacation over Easter weekend...thinking about Shenandoah...been there as a kid, but not lately...
Any areas around the park for some offroad trails?
-nothing crazy but the girl and i would like to go out for a relaxing afternoon
Also any recommendations on lodging...cabins would be sweet but hotels would work too

#2 ·
I was there about three years ago and didn't notice any ORV trails. Lots of hiking trails. I stayed at the lodge and it was a very enjoyable stay. If you do stay there you either have to bring food or eat at their restaurant which was pretty good but pricey as you might expect. Or you can take a drive into one of the towns. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

#4 ·
Yea I plan on going hiking to the multiple water falls and staying at the skyline resort in one of the rooms the cool thing is they have pet friendly rooms and my pup loves being out in the woods so that should be cool...and we plan on doing luray caverns too...

I had seen a shenandoah valley jeep/4x4 club website but I can't seem to find out where they wheel...I wanted to bring my jk but if I can't find any trails in the area (legal) well end up taking the WK plus its a little more roomy...

Thanks for the info! ill probably keep this bumped for awhile till we make our final decision

Sent from Skynet

#7 ·
would you recommend GW over shenandoah? minus the wheeling thats an unfair advantage!

I did 2 days on Skyline Drive this past August before heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway into the Smoky Mountains. Great trip. Saw a few places that looked like you could turn off the main path, but mostly were maintenance roads and/or chained off. Don't worry though, it's a nice enough drive that you can overlook the fact that you are on paved roads. I've always camped there at Big Meadows, but the lodging there looks nice too. The front of Big Meadows has a wayside store that serves breakfast, lunch, & dinner and the Lodge itself has a dining room.

Just a tip, some of the hiking trails tend to be a little longer in distance and time then they list on the maps. Plan some extra time & bring some extra water.

Also, take the Jeep! With the slower speed limits you can actually get good mpg's. Plus, you wouldn't be able to do this:

(This picture was actually on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but same idea)
thanks for the tip

id love to camp or get one of the cabins but the idea of not having a fridge, indoor plumbing, etc for 4 days is not up my girls alley...2 nights at batona is enough for her! im working her up to more rustic adventures...

#6 ·
I did 2 days on Skyline Drive this past August before heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway into the Smoky Mountains. Great trip. Saw a few places that looked like you could turn off the main path, but mostly were maintenance roads and/or chained off. Don't worry though, it's a nice enough drive that you can overlook the fact that you are on paved roads. I've always camped there at Big Meadows, but the lodging there looks nice too. The front of Big Meadows has a wayside store that serves breakfast, lunch, & dinner and the Lodge itself has a dining room.

Just a tip, some of the hiking trails tend to be a little longer in distance and time then they list on the maps. Plan some extra time & bring some extra water.

Also, take the Jeep! With the slower speed limits you can actually get good mpg's. Plus, you wouldn't be able to do this:

(This picture was actually on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but same idea)

#10 ·
They are two trails off the blue ridge parkway that you can do, you will be entering the parkway on the top of afton moutain off I64, one is big levels and the trail head is right off the parkway not sure the mile marker. And the outher is crabtree falls and you can take the rt 56 off the parkway and it is about 20 minutes you will find the trail head on the right , it is just passed the little town montibllo I would say just a mile or so.You can get a topo map and it will lead you where you need to be. Sorry I dont have more info .

#13 ·
Go here...http://www.odjeeps.com. Big Levels (Stoney Run/Bald Rock), Shoe Creek (Crabtree Falls), Peters Mill, Flag Pole, Second Mtn, Dictum's Ridge are but a few trails that are close to the Parkway and The Drive. If you search these names on the interwebs you'll find more plus directions to all of these. Also search Motor Vehicle Use Map George Washington and Jefferson
National Forests, these are good maps of these two spots and they are in PDF. Have fun, it's pretty down here!

#15 ·
Headed down to the same area on March 30 til the next Friday. Thanks for the info, all I could find were ATV trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.