DIY Bigger Storage Tub - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
DIY Bigger Storage Tub

I thought I'd do a little write-up on my homebrew version of the rear storage tub enlargement. Overall cost for this mod was very low at roughly $65, which was spent on the new muffler and a couple of clamps, everything else I had laying around. Even if you were to buy the box and some metal to attach it with, you'd probably be spending less than the aftermarket tub options currently on the market. If I were to do it again, however, I'd probably buy a sheet of steel and build the box to fit better, rather than squeeze one of these 81mm mortar shell boxes in there.

First off, you'll have to remove the factory muffler and heat shield (obviously lol) and toss them in the scrap pile. Removing the heat shield is pretty straight forward, 4 11mm nuts, I believe, and it'll come right off.

Next I marked out my cuts. If I were to do this again I would not go so far out on the sides of the factory tub, you'll see why in a minute.

The next step is to cut a gaping hole in your Jeep. The first cut is the hardest. I'll admit I was pretty nervous to cut into a perfectly good Jeep but I knew in the end it would be worth it.

Test fit of the 81mm mortar shell box. Here you can see why not to cut so far from the edge of the factory tub because now all the open area needs to be covered back up and sealed. Oh well, we learn from our mistakes, right?

Recycling some sheet metal I had laying around from I don't know what, I riveted it to the box then laid down some weatherstripping and RTV to seal out the elements and any potential exhaust gasses, then riveted the whole shebang to the floor.

I had originally cut the section out that contained the factory cover latch thingy and decided that since I would be using the factory cover for the time being that I'd also like to reuse the latch as well, so I welded that section back in after modifying the latch to work in the slightly altered location. I covered the exposed metal edges with door edge trim to avoid cuts and scratches. After it was all done, I sprayed it with Duplicolor Truck Bedliner.

And the final step was to install the new muffler. I chose the Dynomax 17230 Ultra Flo Welded muffler similar to the one used in their systems for our Jeeps. Its just barely louder than stock, but has a slightly deeper tone to it.

The last picture shows the stuff I keep in my Jeep laid out and packed away in the new space.

Last edited by DrtRnnr15; 04-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 AM
Rock God

Very nice!
I couldn't bring myself to cut into the tub when my JK was newer, so I went with increased storage above the factory floor.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 16 Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks ronjenx! I actually have your thread about the deal you made bookmarked and would like to try to do that as well, mostly for the flat floor to sleep on while camping until I can put together a little overland style trailer.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

Nice writeup. I did mine myself too and now have some useful room back there for tools.

And a nice countersunk reverse light.

post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
Nice writeup. I did mine myself too and now have some useful room back there for tools.

And a nice countersunk reverse light.

Dude , I've been waiting for you to post up some picks of that.who made that and where can we get one ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Wheeler

I think i found my next project

2015 Sport 2DR Hyperblue
Minor appearance mods Aftermarket Alpine Head unit and Component speakers

List of to be done endless
post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Granite Guru

Very well done, and I actually have one of the ammo boxes siting in my garage Any pics on what you did as far as a lid\cover? Where you able to re-use the ammo box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

Cody, yours is also very sweet! What box did you use? And LED reverse light?

post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Thank you. I created my own.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thank you. I created my own.

Dude you could sell them ! I would buy one in a heart beat .

post #11 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Granite Guru

Very awesome work! I am getting tempted to step outside and start chopping my Jeep

post #12 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
Dude you could sell them ! I would buy one in a heart beat .

You know you have to move the muffler right?
post #13 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Granite Guru

Mine is already tucked out of the way

post #14 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
You know you have to move the muffler right?
Mine has been gone for a while

post #15 of 16 Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
DIY Bigger Storage Tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Very well done, and I actually have one of the ammo boxes siting in my garage Any pics on what you did as far as a lid\cover? Where you able to re-use the ammo box?

I reused the factory cover. I had plans to make a locking steel cover but when I got done I liked how it still looked factory until you open it up. One thing I think I forgot to mention before is the ammo can is a very snug fit between the crossmember and the rear jack cubby. I had to cut and push in the edge of the jack cubby to get the can to fit and it's still super tight. To get the can to sit flush with the floor, it pretty much sits on top of the rear sway bar as well so this is why if I were to do it again I'd build a box instead of using a mortar shell can. Good luck to you if you decide to tackle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 JKU Sport 2.5" Teraflex BB, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on nasty chrome 20s, homemade front/rear bumpers. Yeah, I bought a mall crawler but I'm working on changing that.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 AM
Granite Guru

This is a pretty sick idea. I used to be above cutting and trimming the JK, but now she is a just a play toy. This will defiantly happen at some point or another... I just need to find a box.

2008 JKU, ProComps, 35 Kevlar MT/R's, all types of OR-Fab shit, PIAA's, 2.5in Suspension lift, Warn Winch, and a few other goodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
Old shit needs fixed. Facts.
Shit run off-road needs fixed. Fact.
Old shit run off-road needs fixed more often yet. Fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode